Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
How many of these "protesters" are actually doing anything other than taking a knee during the anthem? Are they working in their communities to bring about change? Donating money to the cause? Have any joined in the marches?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/s...s.html?mcubz=0

Activism Outside the Spotlight

While Kaepernick waits to play, he has hardly been idle. Fulfilling a “million-dollar” pledge he made during the heat of the anthem flap last September, he has donated $100,000 every month since October to up to four charities, with little notice beyond Kaepernick’s website.

The beneficiaries are usually small, relatively unknown and surprised.

“We had no idea how Colin Kaepernick heard about our organization,” said Carolyn A. Watson, founder and executive director of Helping Oppressed Mothers Endure, or H.O.M.E., a foundation supporting single mothers in Georgia. Someone representing Kaepernick contacted the group, Watson said, “and before we knew it, we were giving them the appropriate information and received a $25,000 check in the mail.”

Muhibb Dyer, a co-founder of the I Will Not Die Young Campaign in Milwaukee, thought the $25,000 donation was a prank.

“What is unique is that he identified grass-roots organizations like my own that are hanging on by a thread trying to do the work,” Dyer said. “But a lot of the time we are face-to-face, in the trenches, with some of the most at-risk youth in this country. Having him reach out to us is like a lifeline to continue the work that we do that is oftentimes not highlighted, but very much essential to the life and death of youth every day.”

The range of charities Kaepernick supports is broad. In January, for example, he gave $25,000 each to a Brooklyn group called Black Veterans for Social Justice, a clean-energy advocacy group called 350.org, the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, and the Center for Reproductive Rights in New York.

Michelle Horovitz, a co-founder of Appetite for Change, which promotes healthy food through urban gardens and cooking seminars in Minneapolis, said the donation they received was “huge on an emotional level.”

She added: “We are huge fans of him and I personally have decided to boycott the N.F.L.”

Kaepernick has also held three “Know Your Rights” free camps for children. About 200 came to the one in Chicago in May, at the DuSable Museum of African American History, and others have been held in Oakland and New York. The goal, according to the website, is “to raise awareness on higher education, self empowerment, and instruction to properly interact with law enforcement in various scenarios.”

Children received free breakfasts and T-shirts listing 10 rights: The right to be free, healthy, brilliant, safe, loved, courageous, alive, trusted and educated, plus “the right to know your rights.”

There were seminars and sessions on black history, including segregation and Jim Crow laws. There were lessons on healthy eating and household finances. There was advice on speaking and dressing for respect, and for how to calmly handle interactions with the police.

Among the speakers were Eric Reid, Kaepernick’s former teammate in San Francisco, and Common, the hip-hop star. Near the end, Kaepernick shared his personal story to campers in Chicago.

“I love my family to death,” he said, according to Dave Zirin of The Nation. “They’re the most amazing people I know. But when I looked in the mirror, I knew I was different. Learning what it meant to be an African man in America, not a black man but an African man, was critical for me. Through this knowledge, I was able to identify myself and my community differently.”

He explained that he was giving the campers a kit to test their own DNA, to better understand their background, The Nation reported.

“I thought I was from Milwaukee,” Kaepernick said. “I thought my ancestry started at slavery and I was taught in school that we were all supposed to be grateful just because we aren’t slaves. But what I was able to do was trace my ancestry and DNA lineage back to Ghana, Nigeria, the Ivory Coast, and saw my existence was more than just being a slave. It was as an African man. We had our own civilizations, and I want you to know how high the ceiling is for our people. I want you to know that our existence now is not normal. It’s oppressive. For me, identifying with Africa gave me a higher sense of who I was, knowing that we have a proud history and are all in this together.”

Kaepernick traveled to Ghana this summer. On July 4 on Instagram, accompanying a video montage of the trip, he said that he made the pilgrimage to get in touch with his “African ancestral roots.”

He sat in prison cells at “slave castles,” the fortresses that detained people just before they were shipped across the ocean as slaves. He also visited the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park, schools and hospitals. Along with Nessa Diab, he also went to Egypt and Morocco.

“A part of the motivation was, if you have an awakening, then you start to want to have answers,” Loggins, who was part of the travel group, said on a podcast with Zirin. “You start to become inquisitive at a level that can sometime be seen to others as obsessive.”

On a day off last December, Kaepernick took the GRE, the standardized graduate-school entrance exam. “Just exploring all opportunities,” he said.

It was about then that Kaepernick was introduced to Christopher Petrella, who teaches American Cultural Studies at Bates College in Maine. Petrella has since helped devise the curriculum and taught at the Know Your Rights camps and become part of Kaepernick’s inner circle.

Their first conversation, Petrella said in an email interview, “unexpectedly morphed into a back-and-forth on Bacon’s Rebellion, a late 17th-century political uprising in colonial Virginia that began to codify race and class hierarchies in the U.S. I was immediately struck by Colin’s raw curiosity, historical fluency, and the sophistication with which he spoke of persistent forms of racial injustice and racialized forms of police brutality today.”

He, too, has heard Kaepernick’s name mentioned alongside other athletes who became civil rights icons. Petrella said the comparisons were apt, but Kaepernick’s approach reminded him more of Ella Baker, a civil rights pioneer known for her work with the N.A.A.C.P., the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.

“Just as Colin tends to eschew the spotlight, Baker operated under the principle that ‘Strong people don’t need strong leaders,’” Petrella wrote. “Baker once said that ‘People must fight for their own freedom and not rely on leaders to do it for them.’ This approach seems consistent with Colin’s principle of believing in the capacity of ordinary people to grow into leaders, to self-advocate and to lift as we climb.”

What may be settled in the coming days and weeks is whether Kaepernick will once again experience the spotlight of the N.F.L. — whether a team will sign him, or whether it matters to the movement he has sparked.

“I’m so proud of him,” said Marshall, his Nevada teammate and fraternity brother. “If people look at the real issue, and look at what he’s doing in the community — the money he’s donating, the time he’s donating, the camps he’s putting on — they’d be like: ‘You know what? This dude’s really a stand-up guy.’”
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 AM

yeah, lets start forcing people to behave in certain ways. thats the spirit! who the hell cares about football players, they are here for your entertainment or not. this is all just TV and rating and you are paying into it if you are somehow excited by this. Stop. its not important. people are talking more about football players standing, not standing whatever than they are about anything useful that could actually help point this country somewhere useful. so now im going to cuss: **** it
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I don't follow any US sports and have only heard about this from the news. It's really a non-issue to me, though after hearing about it I did give some thought to what they are doing.

They totally have the right to protest in whatever manner they feel fit. But I feel that their chosen manner is viewed negatively by many people, myself included. No matter how valid their protest, IMO they could have found a better way to do so. I think that they hurt their cause by the method that they have chosen because it is so controversial.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM

We're all falling for it hook, line and sinker.

I don't respect Trump for much but he is playing this masterfully.

This has NOTHING to do with the NFL, or the protests, or anything.

He's manufacturing a controversy to keep us distracted from the things that he's doing that are more obnoxious/important.

For example, we are having a multi-page thread here about football players instead of about the issue that his staff has been abusing email just like Clinton did... which is just beyond belief after the amount of time the devoted to talking about Clinton's email. No one working for him has even an iota of an excuse.

Or that we're not talking about the ongoing Russian election controversy.

Incredibly well played by Trump. Of course he's manufacturing this instead of doing productive work but oh well.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

He's manufacturing a controversy to keep us distracted from the things that he's doing that are more obnoxious/important.

For example, we are having a multi-page thread here about football players instead of about the issue that his staff has been abusing email just like Clinton did... which is just beyond belief after the amount of time the devoted to talking about Clinton's email. No one working for him has even an iota of an excuse.

Incredibly well played by Trump. Of course he's manufacturing this instead of doing productive work but oh well.
+1zillion!!! This is just a gambit by Trump to divert attention from the real issues, energize his base, and build support for his 2020 election bid. Why people in this country can't see through this self-serving bit of political theater is beyond me.

Greg
Old 09-25-2017, 09:48 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
They totally have the right to protest in whatever manner they feel fit. But I feel that their chosen manner is viewed negatively by many people, myself included. No matter how valid their protest, IMO they could have found a better way to do so. I think that they hurt their cause by the method that they have chosen because it is so controversial.
When Ali protested the Vietnam War by refusing induction, he was both right and made millions uncomfortable and mad. When John Carlos and Tommie Smith raised their fist in Mexico City, they made millions uncomfortable and mad. That is the nature of protests. It's a both a fallacy and unfair to ask protestors to, please, find a method of protest that doesn't upset anyone. What is fair to ask is, can your protest be peaceful and legal? Kneeling is both of those. Beyond that, it's constitutional. The majority asking that any protest not offend them somehow is, sadly, a further example of the privilege the majority is trying to maintain. The protested against simply don't have the right to define the terms of protest. Protest is, by definition, upsetting to someone. That's why it's constitutionally protected.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

Trump thinks it is a disgrace not to stand

Fans can watch, tune out, or express their view.

Workplaces have all sorts of rules. So, do free markets. I vote with my clicker
Vote, such a big word...vote in 2018 midterms and 2020 general election..the goats are loose.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Small ring

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe NFL teams were even on the field for the anthem until around 2008-9. It was part of a paid campaign for armed forces enlistment.

The history of the anthem itself, could be considered divisive.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Vote, such a big word...vote in 2018 midterms and 2020 general election..the goats are loose.
I always vote and always follow politics but it would be nice to escape the vitriol and extreme divisiveness like being able to watch a TV show or sporting event for......entertainment.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
+1zillion!!! This is just a gambit by Trump to divert attention from the real issues, energize his base, and build support for his 2020 election bid. Why people in this country can't see through this self-serving bit of political theater is beyond me.
spot on, exactly what you two guys said. it's all about reassuring the base: "ignore this other stuff, and remember... I'm your guy!" the base doesn't care about the issues these athletes are trying to bring attention to, and neither does he. might as well pick a fight there to divert attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
If you are coerced to stand and salute the flag, what meaning does it have?
excellent way of putting it.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe NFL teams were even on the field for the anthem until around 2008-9. It was part of a paid campaign for armed forces enlistment.

The history of the anthem itself, could be considered divisive.
Bingo. Before 2009, the players stayed in the locker rooms until after the anthem. Through 2015, the Department of Defense and the National Guard have paid the NFL over $12 million to turn the players into recruitment tools and the NFL made the players come out before the anthem.

So who_really_injected politics into football?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Be respectful or you are fired.

I couldnt protest at work without the risk of being let go. Thats the bottom line.
You should find a better job.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

as we aren't allowed to talk politics here, that accounts for the silence here

less understandable is the ~4000 comments on NYT on the anthem protest. The main article was plastered on the front page for two days, while other ancillary articles filled the other spaces. Contrast this to the coverage of the Kushner email story: two lines and no photo from the article. The cynical side of me really wonders if NYT is doing this for clicks (as it didn't break the story) or if NYT actually cares about what is of consequence.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
as we aren't allowed to talk politics here, that accounts for the silence here

less understandable is the ~4000 comments on NYT on the anthem protest. The main article was plastered on the front page for two days, while other ancillary articles filled the other spaces. Contrast this to the coverage of the Kushner email story: two lines and no photo from the article. The cynical side of me really wonders if NYT is doing this for clicks (as it didn't break the story) or if NYT actually cares about what is of consequence.
Clicks are the new economy, everyone is on clicks now. Welcome to the new reality show, "Make America Great Again" starring your host DT. it wasn't enough to let other people play the fool on reality TV, we all want in on that fool action now.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Uh, Tommie Smith and John Carlos in Mexico City?
I wasn't alive when that happened, so I don't really know the power of the raised fist thing, so I'm not sure if it is a direct middle finger to the flag like a lot of people feel the kneeling is. Maybe had they hopped off the podium once the anthem began it would be more comparable. I really don't know.

As far as Kaepernick is concerned...if he were a better QB, he'd be in the league. That's just how it works. Greg Hardy and Ray Rice are despicable humans who did terrible things to women. Guess who got a second chance? Hardy did, because he still had elite ability. Rice was washed up, so it was easy and convenient to take a stand on him. Tom Brady could protest the anthem by whipping his johnson out and Kraft would offer his full support. Is Kap better than some backups (starters?) right now? Of course, but not so much better that an owner is willing to have his coach waste his time answering daily questions about his second string QB.
Closed Thread