Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 PM

Way OT: PBS Vietnam Series

First off, I can never repay anyone who has made my/my family's life better for your service. Not just specific to Vietnam, but any/all military service. Words cannot thank you enough. You are a much better person than I. Not sure I would have been as strong.

Been watching the PBS series on Vietnam. Compelling. Insightful. Mad. Sad. F-up'd. Disappointed. Embarrassed. Thankful. Greatful.

Please do do not turn this into some political propaganda. Those who fought and who died on "your" behalf, deserve better than a point of view. Sorry if you disagree.

Those who are still struggling with internal demons, peace of mind.

Thanks again. I'm in your debt.

In between the tears, what great soundtracks.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:41 PM

as someone who has the privilege to serve our veterans day in and day out, I share your sentiments. plan on viewing the series over the next few weeks.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall View Post

Please do do not turn this into some political propaganda.
Kinda tough to do when you're citing the most politically charged, divisive moment in 20th century U.S. history, no?

Great documentary though.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall View Post
First off, I can never repay anyone who has made my/my family's life better for your service. Not just specific to Vietnam, but any/all military service. Words cannot thank you enough. You are a much better person than I. Not sure I would have been as strong.

Been watching the PBS series on Vietnam. Compelling. Insightful. Mad. Sad. F-up'd. Disappointed. Embarrassed. Thankful. Greatful.

Please do do not turn this into some political propaganda. Those who fought and who died on "your" behalf, deserve better than a point of view. Sorry if you disagree.

Those who are still struggling with internal demons, peace of mind.

Thanks again. I'm in your debt.

In between the tears, what great soundtracks.
Watching it as well...can't top your comments..tremendous program on a very tough subject..we need to not only remember what happened but also remember why..
Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Cool, i love documentaries.

What is the actual title of it - is it available on any of the streaming services or on demand ?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Watching it as well...can't top your comments..tremendous program on a very tough subject..we need to not only remember what happened but also remember why..
And I can't top what you said also. I'm embarrassed that I know so little of what happened.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

What is the actual title of it - is it available on any of the streaming services or on demand ?
It's on PBS but w/o cable, I had to purchase it..$50 and worth every penny, IMHO..

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch

I've been a student of VietNam, of sorts, since the mid 80s when I was introduced to the truth about it at the Naval War College...some really good books on the subject as well. LIke this one but many others..For Johnnyg right below..thank you for your service during a very tough time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1575160._UY475_SS475_.jpg (48.7 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-25-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 AM

I served in the Army First Cavalry in Vietnam and I am learning so much i didn't no and realize. Ken Burns is an amazing film and documentary artist. I cry every night i watch this series. Welcome Home!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Administrator

thanks for this. i will give it a watch, for sure.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

You can stream it for free if you have the PBS app on a tablet. I downloaded the app to my iPad last week just to watch this and it works well, with the added benefit that it isn't blocked on Southwest, so I can stream it on a plane.

PBS doesn't leave its streaming programs up forever, and I'm not sure how long it will be available, so you are best off watching it now if you are going to use the app.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
You can stream it for free if you have the PBS app on a tablet. I downloaded the app to my iPad last week just to watch this and it works well, with the added benefit that it isn't blocked on Southwest, so I can stream it on a plane.

PBS doesn't leave its streaming programs up forever, and I'm not sure how long it will be available, so you are best off watching it now if you are going to use the app.
great thanks. this is what i'll do.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Watched with my wife last night. Had a high school classmate that I visited before he died of agent orange exposure. What we did to our own was bad enough.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:12 PM

This documentary gives an unflinching view of everything that was f'ed up about the war but also portrays the great honor, courage, and humanity of those who served. I read We Were Soldiers Once and Young by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway years ago about the events around LZ Xray and LZ Albany and was very affected back then. Some of those events were detailed in episode 3 I think with footage of Moore and Galloway as an interviewee. My father was there '71-'72. Have not gotten to that part yet.

Last edited by marciero; 09-25-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
This documentary gives an unflinching view of everything that was f'ed up about the war but also portrays the great honor, courage, and humanity of those who served. I read We Were Soldiers Once and Young by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway years ago about the events around LZ Xray and LZ Albany and was very affected back then. Some of those events were detailed in episode 3 I think with footage of Moore and Galloway as an interviewee.
A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo is still one of the best memoirs I've ever read, regardless of topic.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Imshi Cycles

listen to ken burns get all ken burnsy about it on W T F

looking forward to watching the series, seems like they did a great job of getting a variety of different perspectives represented.