Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2023, 05:53 AM

I have a pair of the helix I don't use anymore. I liked generally liked them, but got a great deal on lakes.

I think due to the tub construction they would benefit from a pro fit to assess if you need wedges. I know in my case wedges, combined with molding would have gotten rid of a hot spot.

My only complaint is that the soles are super thin. So I had to cut my cleat bolts to keep them from popping through.

Mine are a 46 wide. Anyone here is welcome to them for postage plus $25 to the forum.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:28 AM

I will go out on a limb and say for -most- people bonts are not a good choice.

Thats based on tons of reading, my own experience with several pair, and lots of friends who have tried them.

I know some people mention really high heat and shoe stretchers etc....
But ... the shoes are rock hard, don't always have the volume to fit a proper orthotic in, and generally if they don't fit you really well out of the box, they are not gonna work.

Stick with a high quality mainstream shoe and get a good quality custom orthotic for them = prefect for most people.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:48 AM

I had Vaypors maybe 8ish years ago, couldn't get them hot enough at home to adjust properly. Had a skate shop that deals in Bont heat them and knock out some spots. They were so comfortable.
I think a lot of people's problems are they're not fitted properly, takes some knowledge to mold them properly to your foot I found.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post

Thats based on tons of reading, my own experience with several pair, and lots of friends who have tried them.

But ... the shoes are rock hard, don't always have the volume to fit a proper orthotic in, and generally if they don't fit you really well out of the box, they are not gonna work.

Stick with a high quality mainstream shoe and get a good quality custom orthotic for them = prefect for most people.

From what I understand, you should be able to heat mold them around protrusions, e.g. tailor's bunion like the OP. The carbon bathtub sole will otherwise press on the protrusions. The molding process won't fundamentally change the shape of the last, I think. So I'd agree that if they don't fit out of the box, drop them - and if possible, try them on after you've been riding for a bit.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:22 PM

The problem with most "mainstream" shoes is that they are too narrow in the toe box for reasons of fashion. I agree that Bont's are thin soled, but they are crazy stiff, for good and bad. I don't have any issues with fitting good insoles.
However, I do agree that the heat molding process is good for minor, but not major, changes.
Have been on Bonts for 7 years or so and not looking back. Currently using Vaypor S, Mtb Vaypor for gravel, and Helix.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:

FWIW I've been a long-term Bont user and have found that every pair I've had is fairly HIGH volume, and requires more significant insoles to take up some of that volume so that I can tighten them properly.

But that said - I do think that they require a level of tinkering that is past most people's interest/energy. Heat molding isn't a "one and done" thing, it's more a repeat process with no guarantee that it'll get to a good place for any one person.

For me, though, the 'bathtub sole' construction was a game changer and no shoe feels stiff and secure to me, and made me willing to put up with Bont's quirks.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I am lucky that I am one of the few that have found Bont to work well for me. After years of Carnac and Sidi Mega use, I jumped over to Lake wide and found it to work better than previous shoes. So I got a pair of new MX 242 Wide and it was great. Very little pressure on the forefoot that goes away after a little bit of riding.

I read about Bont on here and decided to try Bont Double wide Asian fit, and this takes that comfort up another level. The sole is very stiff, but is perfect for road riding. I would not recommend Mountain Biking with Bont, but if graveling or road riding ending with some cafes at times (which is what I like to do), then this is perfect for my high volume wide forefoot without huge heel requirements. I did not even have to heat mold to make it work well.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:28 PM

I bought the shoe stretcher that Vientomas recommended in his post and used it on a new pair of shoes last night. This morning they felt perfect!

Tags
shoes