Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 01:33 PM

OT Sleep tracking.

I wear my Apple watch series 9 to bed to track my sleep. Yes I’m a data junkie.

What I have noticed if I go to sleep normally I get about 40 minutes deep sleep, Heart rate drops into the low 40 or upper 30’s on occasion. My respiratory rate is about 8 to 12 breaths per minute. After a couple of beers my heart rate sleeping is alway over 50 bpm and respiratory rate is over 10 breaths per minute plus my deep sleep in much less. I always awake feeling more rested no alcohol.

Anyone else track their sleep and what do you see in your sleep data.

I’m not giving up beer and recently went to a single beer and then N/A’s for the rest of that day. I only consume beer on the weekend.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:43 PM

I tried with my Apple Watch for a few weeks. The data it provided didn't add value for me. If I sleep poorly, all it did was confirm as much the next morning.

It failed to differentiate between "asleep" and "awake and lying still so as not to wake my wife". There were nights where I absolutely had periods of lying still and awake that just registered as "light sleep" to Apple.

It did report shockingly little REM sleep, but I'm not sure if that's actually useful. I was otherwise rested when I felt I slept well.

Edit - alcohol definitely impacts my sleep, but I knew that without needing a tracker.

Last edited by Alistair; 04-29-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:46 PM
I need you cool.

I track my sleeping and have also noticed I don't sleep as well after a couple glasses of wine in the evening. Getting old sux.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post

What I have noticed if I go to sleep normally I get about 40 minutes deep sleep, Heart rate drops into the low 40 or upper 30’s on occasion. My respiratory rate is about 8 to 12 breaths per minute. After a couple of beers my heart rate sleeping is alway over 50 bpm and respiratory rate is over 10 breaths per minute plus my deep sleep in much less. I always awake feeling more rested no alcohol.

I’m not giving up beer and recently went to a single beer and then N/A’s for the rest of that day. I only consume beer on the weekend.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing with alcohol when I started tracking my sleep, even one Miller Lite will mess me up. Its kind of a bummer that alcohol effects me so much, my wife drinks a glass of wine several nights a week and there's no difference for her drinking vs not drinking per her apple watch.

I used to drink a LOT when I was younger, part of me is paranoid I did some damage to myself somehow being that I'm so sensitive to alcohol.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I track my sleeping and have also noticed I don't sleep as well after a couple glasses of wine in the evening. Getting old sux.
Well, the obvious answer is to not drink in the evening.

I start around noon now.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:05 PM

The relationship between sleep quality and alcohol is well known. Even a small amount of alcohol can disrupt sleep.

Despite many claims that (moderate) alcohol usage has some health benefits, several studies have shown that alcohol has net deficit to overall health. It's also interesting to note that there have been no studies showing health benefits to alcohol that were not paid for by the alcohol industry.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:29 PM
Randomhead

No sleep data is complete without a cpap machine. They take an amazing amount of data, and then your sleep doctor only wants to see a really crummy metric.

No heartrate though, unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:53 PM

Yep..It is like clock work for me. If I have alcohol I get a bad sleep score. No alcohol and I get a great sleep score.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:47 PM

My lovely wife has been an apnea sufferer for a long time--I finally prevailed on her to get a sleep study done, because when she would stop breathing I'd have heart failure trying to wake up to deal with what sounded like an emergency.

The new program no longer requires the overnight stay/sleep study--they send you a temporary CPAP machine that automatically phones home with the data (true--no heart rate monitor)--but in her case it confirmed a severe case of apnea.

With the data she then qualified for a machine (she pays for supplies) and it has been a night and day difference in her health and general outlook. Better sleeps, more energy etc etc.

And yes, alcohol is a known sleep disrupter--and increases your chances of having sleep apnea-- Rule of thumb--a drink with dinner/4hrs before bedtime gives your body time to metabolize the alcohol and minimizes sleep disruption...

Lots of interest and current research in sleep hygiene, which is increasingly seen as a critical component of wellness.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post

I use my Apple Ultra watch and use the Athlytic app. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/athlyt...h/id1543571755. I use it to track sleep and recovery. I’m a functional insomniac, and trying to be a recovering one that doesn’t rely on Ambien.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:32 PM

I use Whoop, and like what it gives me. I'm getting better at being able to get green recoveries at will (mostly).
1) Avoid alcohol
2) Go to bed earlier than 1am (surprisingly difficult for me)
3) Eat earlier than 9pm (see above)
4) Don't expect miracles after a hard day on the bike
Old 04-29-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post

I used to drink a LOT when I was younger, part of me is paranoid I did some damage to myself somehow being that I'm so sensitive to alcohol.
I didn't (well, not THAT much), and it hits me the same. Luckily for me, I don't get the thrill out of having a drink, so I rarely do. Maybe if I did it more, it wouldn't kick so hard when I do
Old 04-29-2024, 11:23 PM

Oura ring works well. I use CPAP and only bought the Oura after being unsatisfied with my Apple Watch Ultra.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:01 AM

How can it measure Deep Sleep?
I thought the only quantifiable way to measure sleep cycles was by measuring brain waves.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
My lovely wife has been an apnea sufferer for a long time--I finally prevailed on her to get a sleep study done, because when she would stop breathing I'd have heart failure trying to wake up to deal with what sounded like an emergency.

The new program no longer requires the overnight stay/sleep study--they send you a temporary CPAP machine that automatically phones home with the data (true--no heart rate monitor)--but in her case it confirmed a severe case of apnea.

With the data she then qualified for a machine (she pays for supplies) and it has been a night and day difference in her health and general outlook. Better sleeps, more energy etc etc.

And yes, alcohol is a known sleep disrupter--and increases your chances of having sleep apnea-- Rule of thumb--a drink with dinner/4hrs before bedtime gives your body time to metabolize the alcohol and minimizes sleep disruption...

Lots of interest and current research in sleep hygiene, which is increasingly seen as a critical component of wellness.
All true, yes, you can be diagnosed as having sleep apnea with a home machine BUT, to determine more specifics, type of machine, pressure to use, etc, an in patient sleep study is much more comprehensive.

I've been on a CPAP for about 5 years but before getting a new machine, I'm scheduled for an in-patient sleep study..

Another shout out for medicare and tri-care for life. If I use the machine more than a minimum..I think 4 nights, more than 4 hours per night, it's all free including supplies.

BTW-I use it all night, every night....