Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 11:29 AM
n - 1

Hand signals

Back when I was in Boy Scouts, earning the cycling merit badge, I learned the various hand signals.
Left hand straight out for left turn
Left hand raised to square, right turn
Left hand down, stop(ping)

All fairly intuitive except for that right turn. I think drivers and pedestrians get confused. General guidelines seem contradicting as well. Look below.

Lately, I’ve just resorted to using right hand straight out for right turns. Seems to be less confusing to others.

Anyone find the same?

Old 03-20-2024, 11:36 AM

The right turn signal by raising your left hand was a holdover from the days before cars had turn signals. Since the driver sits on the left side, they needed a way to signal out the driver's side window. Since turn signals have been a thing for close to a century, that particular signal is wildly out dated. Signaling a right turn with your right hand is way less confusing.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
The right turn signal by raising your left hand was a holdover from the days before cars had turn signals. Since the driver sits on the left side, they needed a way to signal out the driver's side window. Since turn signals have been a thing for close to a century, that particular signal is wildly out dated. Signaling a right turn with your right hand is way less confusing.
Yes and no. You're supposed to know and use these in the rare instance when your turn signals aren't operable or obstructed or you're driving an old tractor a mile down the road moving it from one field to another. When I took the test for my license in the mid 1990s this was still the directive.

I still use those signals and have taught my kids to do the same. All of my bikes are setup moto style and my right hand remains on the bar to operate the front brake while I signal.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 03-20-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:38 AM

Left hand for left, right hand for right, nothing else
Old 03-20-2024, 11:49 AM

Left hand out - left turn

Right hand out - right turn

Slowing - left or right arm down, usually wiggle a bit to get attention

I think the left hand for all signals came from motorcycles, where the right hand is the throttle and brake, so you don't ever want it off the bar.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I had a discussion (disagreement?) with my cycling club president about this. I argued that holding the right arm out for a right turn was best, but he insisted holding the left hand straight up was the best. His argument was that: 1) That's what taught in drivers manuals, so motorists would be more familiar with it; and 2) Cyclists ride on the right side of the road, so the left arm/hand would be more visible. I argued that: 1) Using the right hand to signal a right turn was more intuitive, since you are pointing directly at were you are going; and 2) many cyclists ride in a leaned over posture (particularly if on the hoods or drops), which makes it difficult if not impossible to hold the forearm straight up, so when signaling a right turn the arm ends up being pointed more forward then up.

The club president, like many cyclists, tends to ride with his torso leaning forward. When he signals a right turn with his left hand, his arm points more forward than upward, so he looks more like he is waving at someone in front of him than that he is signaling for a right turn. Even when I know the route is turning right, I often find myself looking straight ahead to see who he is waving at.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Left hand out - left turn

Right hand out - right turn

Slowing - left or right arm down, usually wiggle a bit to get attention.
When slowing, I usually hold my hand with an open palm facing directly backwards, as in a "halt" hand signal.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
When slowing, I usually hold my hand with an open palm facing directly backwards, as in a "halt" hand signal.
Yeah, same, usually rocking/waving left-right a bit to hopefully be more visible.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:17 PM

Right-hand turn: I typically signal left arm up at 90°, and as I get closer to the turn, I often, but not always, go right arm out straight. I think either is acceptable, but I often do both if convenient to cover both bases. But I am emphatically against pineapple on pizza, so there's that.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
That's it in a nutshell. Left arm out signals left turn, right arm out signals right turn.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Yes and no. You're supposed to know and use these in the rare instance when your turn signals aren't operable or obstructed or you're driving an old tractor a mile down the road moving it from one field to another. When I took the test for my license in the mid 1990s this was still the directive.

I still use those signals and have taught my kids to do the same. All of my bikes are setup moto style and my right hand remains on the bar to operate the front brake while I signal.
There's no doubt that this is still what is taught. Its what I was taught in the mid 2000s when I got my license. Most drivers don't recall what was taught to them in their driver's ed class, so I go with what will be most clear to people by pointing in the direction I'm headed. There's no ambiguity that way, despite not being to the letter of the law. I'd rather be clear in my intention than aligned perfectly to the rule.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:08 PM

When New York state updated their vehicle traffic laws to allow use of the right hand to signal right turns, I adopted this convention. Seens to be easier for other road users to understand.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NYS_DMV_Bike Signals.JPG (28.2 KB, 284 views)
Old 03-20-2024, 01:09 PM

doesnt really make sense, not many folks really know to pay attention to those signals (esp drivers)

Id say, I use most of the aforementioned hand signals when I am riding with other folks, and the more advanced riders get the more specific but subtle gestures. And with cars, I make it as obvious as possible that they see where I want to go, how and when etc.

But yeah, would be good if more folks in general could at least learn these. Pretty sure I was taught them in drivers ed, and the more cycling specific ones from riding with more experienced folks.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM

Always/only left arm up at 90*
Old 03-20-2024, 01:27 PM

I rarely find the need but I just point where I am going.