Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 08:31 PM

Paint stripping ... sandblasting steel frame ...

Maybe glass bead blasting?

Hey all,

I have a new frame. There is so much for me to enjoy about the geometry and component compatibility, but tbh, I am really not feeling the color. Signal yellow, the better in my opinion of the two color options available for this frameset but still, yellow is never a color I would choose for a frame or likely almost anything besides a . Even though I haven't fully assembled it, i can tell i just will not ever accept signal yellow.

It is possible that this has been addressed in previous threads, but I wasn't able to find it.

Does anyone have tips on the easiest way to get down to raw frame? I feel like taking it to some place that will glass bead or sand blast it would be the easiest way? I dont have means to strip it with chemicals, but I am willing to repaint it myself. I have had success with spray bike products and I dont need it to be perfect in the end .. i just need it to be a bit more neutral.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:45 PM

Locally to me I have a company, called You Blast that rents blasting cabinets, easily large enough to handle a bicycle frame, by time on their premise. I have bead blasted a number of frames and the cost has been very reasonable, under $65.00. They have any type of media you want to use from sand to Wald Nut shells depending on the lever of abrasion you want to use and if you need to remove any oxidation/rust along with paint. The blasting time has always been under an hour and does not require any extensive skill. I find current environmentally friendly paint stripper all most useless on vintage and older paint.

Might want to check with automotive guys in your neighbourhood there might be a similar service in your area and auto guys seem to make the most use of this service.

The large expense comes with painting after the blasting has been done.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-12-2024 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:59 PM

Wow, that sounds like a very cool facility! I don't know if there is any such place around me here in Eureka, CA, but I will certainly ask around. In a simple webz search, I found a couple painters that offer sand blasting services. I was planning to start there during business hours.

Gladly, there is no rust bc its a brand new frame and Im not too worried if a medium doesnt leave it in a totally matte raw finish so maybe sand blasting would be okay if that is my only local option.

I have heard that glass bead blasting is optimal, but with a steel frame, there is likely not much damage that sand would do to the integrity of the metal. I guess I am just slightly unsure if a company that doesnt specialize in this could do any harm? I would do as much prep as I could to protect the inside of the frame; bb shell, head tube and seat tube..
Old 05-12-2024, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhurley View Post
Wow, that sounds like a very cool facility! I don't know if there is any such place around me here in Eureka, CA, but I will certainly ask around. In a simple webz search, I found a couple painters that offer sand blasting services. I was planning to start there during business hours.

Gladly, there is no rust bc its a brand new frame and Im not too worried if a medium doesnt leave it in a totally matte raw finish so maybe sand blasting would be okay if that is my only local option.

I have heard that glass bead blasting is optimal, but with a steel frame, there is likely not much damage that sand would do to the integrity of the metal. I guess I am just slightly unsure if a company that doesnt specialize in this could do any harm? I would do as much prep as I could to protect the inside of the frame; bb shell, head tube and seat tube..
Best to test with least abrasive media first, an industrial grade blaster using coarse sand can easily blow through a metal bicycle frame.

You might want to also look for an Ice Blasting service, seems to be the current rage for cleaning and paint removal with auto and aviation crowd.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-12-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:09 PM

The steel frames I've had repainted were chemically stripped. If the frame is old, you don't know what the inside looks like, expecially the top tube (sweat) and chainstays (road gunk). Sand or glass beads might blow a hole in the tubes. If you are getting a frame stripped, let a frame builder do it. A builder can repair issues discovered once the paint is removed. They can also do new braze-ons for the FD hanger and top tube cable guides, both of which are available in stainless.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:10 PM

One other thing to note: if there's no rust, you actually don't need to strip the frame bare. As long as you clean and sand the frame, you can put your new paint right on top of the old paint.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
One other thing to note: if there's no rust, you actually don't need to strip the frame bare. As long as you clean and sand the frame, you can put your new paint right on top of the old paint.
Thats true, and come to think about it, maybe that is easiest option? if I cant find someone strip for a fair price, that is probably what I will do. Its a brand new frame, not a scratch on it and the bb hasn't even been faced.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:27 PM

If you are open to having someone else do the refinishing, they will strip the frame for you.

The good powdercoater I've worked with locally charges ~$200 for a strip and refinish on a frame/fork. The cheap powdercoater charges ~$100 for the same thing.

If you want to refinish it yourself, your local powdercoater will still probably be willing to strip it for you. In my experience, this usually ends up around half the cost of having it coated.

I'm guessing the frame in question is a Mod Zero from Black Mountain - nice! I would certainly not worry about having it blasted to get it back to raw, should be plenty o' meat on those tubes (not that blasting from someone with prior bicycle experience will be taking off much meat).
Old 05-13-2024, 08:15 PM

BMC mod.zero

Thanks, for the info. $200 powder coat range seems reasonable, especially considering I would also likely have more color choices there too. and if powder coating, it would need to be stripped down to raw material anyway, so id be glad to have it done at the same time.

Good guess, yes, the frame in question is a Mod Zero. I agree, it seems like it would survive a many blast.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
If you are open to having someone else do the refinishing, they will strip the frame for you.

The good powdercoater I've worked with locally charges ~$200 for a strip and refinish on a frame/fork. The cheap powdercoater charges ~$100 for the same thing.

If you want to refinish it yourself, your local powdercoater will still probably be willing to strip it for you. In my experience, this usually ends up around half the cost of having it coated.

I'm guessing the frame in question is a Mod Zero from Black Mountain - nice! I would certainly not worry about having it blasted to get it back to raw, should be plenty o' meat on those tubes (not that blasting from someone with prior bicycle experience will be taking off much meat).
I'm in the East Bay, who are the good and cheap powdercoaters?
Old 05-14-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
if you don't care about the final finish those are good metrics. However, I would be on the hunt for GOOD and leave cheap off the table. Just my .02 as someone who has a close friend that owns a PC business.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Things that I care about, I take to Melrose in San Leandro. Things that other people don't want to spend money on, I recommend Leon's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
if you don't care about the final finish those are good metrics. However, I would be on the hunt for GOOD and leave cheap off the table. Just my .02 as someone who has a close friend that owns a PC business.
Agree very much with this sentiment. Go to Melrose - their prepwork is solid, they're good at masking/following masking instructions, and have a ton of powder in house that you can choose from. I've only had good experiences with them!
Old 05-15-2024, 08:13 PM

Humboldt County, CA

I found maybe the only powder coating company in Arcata, PAC Powdercoat .. I havent been able to touch base with them after a couple phone calls this week so I dropped by the shop today after work and they were already shut.. their answering machine says 5 but the window sign says 3.. The light was still on which gives me hope theyre still in business.

I took it as good sign that I was able to peep though the dust-clouded window what appeared to be a sparkly finish on an old non-descript bicycle frame.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
You might want to also look for an Ice Blasting service, seems to be the current rage for cleaning and paint removal with auto and aviation crowd.
Dry Ice blasting wont remove paint, its very gentle at removing grime without changing the patina or refinishing like media (soda, sand, etc).

A better option here would be to buy a can of aircraft stripper, or find someone that will strip it for you. I would not sandblast a frame, the media can leave a wavy finish on thin tubes.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Dry Ice blasting wont remove paint, its very gentle at removing grime without changing the patina or refinishing like media (soda, sand, etc).

A better option here would be to buy a can of aircraft stripper, or find someone that will strip it for you. I would not sandblast a frame, the media can leave a wavy finish on thin tubes.
Don't know where you are getting your information however you are entirely incorrect with your comments on dry ice blasting, a search as simple as google will correct your misconception.

https://eai-inc.com/dry-ice-blasting...r%20machinery.

https://www.nexair.com/learning-cent...-remove-paint/

https://blog.coldjet.com/paint-and-c...sting-abrasive

The combination of intense pressure from compressed air and cold temperatures makes dry ice blasting one of the best methods for removing paint from many surfaces. The high pressure makes this process ideal for stripping paint away from hidden areas and small corners.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-13-2024 at 08:57 PM.