Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 02:48 PM

OT: Anyone know anything about SUP

Wondering if there's a forum or site like the PL for stand-up paddle boarding? I'm going to buy my wife a paddle board for her birthday in June and I don't know the first thing about them. We've rented them before and she picked it up quick while I flailed around like a cat thrown into a swimming pool. Anyway, I'm looking for info on what to buy and where to buy it.

TIA
Old 05-02-2015, 03:18 PM
なんでやねん

OT: Anyone know anything about SUP

http://www.standupzone.com/ seems pretty good.

I really want to get into it but I need to move somewhere where there is actual water first.

I've had my eye on a Tower Xplorer inflatable. I might get one even now because they're so portable. Maybe sell my canoe.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:08 PM

funny,i thought how would a mavic rim thread be off topic? SUP "supine udine process"
Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
http://www.standupzone.com/ seems pretty good.

I really want to get into it but I need to move somewhere where there is actual water first.

I've had my eye on a Tower Xplorer inflatable. I might get one even now because they're so portable. Maybe sell my canoe.
Inflatables are good for portability or if you don't have the space. I would go with ULI. Naish, Starboard, or Red Paddle before I would go Tower (just MHO).

The Zone is a good place for info on all things SUP.

I've been known to paddle a little...

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUP1.jpg (108.9 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg SUP3.jpg (88.5 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg surftech_universal_10_6.jpg (35.8 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg SUP2.jpg (121.8 KB, 338 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 04:55 PM

William - any recommendations for a beginner board for a woman who's 5'4"? We'll be using it in the bay and in the gulf.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:00 PM

SUP is very big in AUS. tons of them out on Town Lake (aka Lake Lady Bird)...

looks boring to me. doesn't seem like a skill activity.

I'd much rather canoe or kayak or swim or ride my bike.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post

I'm not going to claim it's a high level skill activity, but it is fun and its a very nice change of pace from cycling with not a worry in the world about the car coming up behind you. It's also a great workout. If you're looking at the SUPers on Town Lake, most of them are out there to loaf around, have a beer, try it out, etc. People who are doing it more strenuously are the exception in my experience, and they're the ones using their whole body not just their arms.

I love riding my bike, but it's beautiful to go from Austin High to Red Bud around dawn. Once you're past MoPac, nothing but water and scenery (and high end real estate high above you), like an oasis in the city.

You can make it much more of a skill activity by working on turns. You can also start with a more advanced board (less stable) which keeps things lively, at least at first. If you want more excitement, try Lake Austin where you can learn how to stay upright when the wake from the skiboats comes rolling by. I've only done that once so far, but it was definitely fun.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
William - any recommendations for a beginner board for a woman who's 5'4"? We'll be using it in the bay and in the gulf.
A lot will depend on whether you are looking for something for leisurely paddling or something faster. Displacement hull vs planing. 12' or 14'? All around/touring vs fast touring or racing? Flatwater board vs down wind or open ocean board? I've never paddled the Gulf but I'm guessing a DW or open ocean style board might be a better choice. At 5'4" your wife will have a lot of options to choose from, you just need to dial in what the main use will be and what you want to spend. Its like bikes in a way....some people just see bicycles, we see road, track, cross, mtb, 29'ers, TT, etc... SUP's are the same way.

Quote:

Too each their own, but you would find that like bikes, it's how you approach it. There are barges that just about anyone could master quickly, and there are race boards that I guarantee you won't be able to paddle effectively without practicing continuously to master the skills needed to balance and make it go. Once it starts getting choppy its a whole other world to stay standing....so yes it takes skill. It can be leisurely, or you can get a heck of a full body work out. Everyone thinks their arms will be sore after first trying it, but most people find it's their legs that get the brunt of it (all those stabilizer muscles constantly firing to maintain balance). I love cycling, but I get a fuller workout paddling. As far as speed, I can go just as fast or faster then a canoe or kyak on my speed board with only one exception, into a strong headwind...but then I like the workout so I don't mind.

William

Last edited by William; 05-03-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I love cycling, but I get a fuller workout paddling.
R'uh R'oh!
Five minutes in the Time Out for you, young man!
Old 05-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
R'uh R'oh!
Five minutes in the Time Out for you, young man!
Doh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunce-cap1.jpg (29.3 KB, 263 views)
Old 05-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Several good places online to buy them that offer free shipping. Prices get better toward the end of summer.

Selection of the board will depend on use. As William stated the inflatables are good for portability and actually much better than you would think. I don't own but have rented fairly often for the past couple years. Just rented an inflatable a few months ago cause it was all they had. It wouldn't be my first choice but much better than I thought.

If she is going to do a lot of stuff off it, fishing, swimming etc the yolo yaks are very nice and stable. If mostly for paddling I would go with a more traditional board. Given the cost if it's something I was going to use a lot I would buy one a little more performance oriented than a big, wide slow board.
Most of the better online sales places will help you pick
Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Yolo yaks are indestructible. I was looking at those for our children to use as basically a swim platform. They like to jump off and try to knock each other off the boards....and when they are on glass or carbon fiber I was cringing every time they got close. People use the Yaks to run rapids so I know our children won't be able to even dent them.

The other thing to consider is buying an intermediate board instead of a beginner. They learning curve may be a little longer, but it can be better in the long run and keep it fun/interesting/challenging for a longer time. Nothing worse then buying a beginner board and then mastering it in a month getting a little board with it.

Inflatables have come a long way as Malcomb mentioned, nothing like those inflatable mattress you floated on as a kid. The thing with them though is don't buy cheap. Don't fall for the $500 chinese cheap ones. The key is being able to handle up to 18-20 psi and remain rigid. There will always be a little give/flex with an inflatable and they will never be as fast as a rigid glass or carbon fiber board, but the good ones are well made and still fun. I personally lean toward Uli myself, they are tough as nails and proven. They stand up to white water rapids and they even make them for the military so the toughness and durability has been tested.

William
Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
A lot will depend on whether you are looking for something for leisurely paddling or something faster. Displacement hull vs planing. 12' or 14'? All around/touring vs fast touring or racing? Flatwater board vs down wind or open ocean board? I've never paddled the Gulf but I'm guessing a DW or open ocean style board might be a better choice. At 5'4" your wife will have a lot of options to choose from, you just need to dial in what the main use will be and what you want to spend. Its like bikes in a way....some people just see bicycles, we see road, track, cross, mtb, 29'ers, TT, etc... SUP's are the same way.
William
I'm looking for something she can paddle leisurely. She's not going to race ever. This is a woman who's been running her entire life and has never entered a 5k because she can't be bothered. An intermediate rig would work because whatever I buy she'll use forever and never want to upgrade. I'd rather go with a traditional board and not an inflatable because we have plenty of room and we're not even a mile from the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm
Several good places online to buy them that offer free shipping. Prices get better toward the end of summer.
What site's would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Honestly I can't remember. It was something warehouse. It was at the end of last summer and they had some killer sales with free shipping. I may have book marked it, if so I'll check when I get home and let you know.

She sounds pretty athletic so she'll get the hang of it quick. I think an intermediate board would be the way to go, a happy medium between speed and distance. If she really likes it you could always go back and get a yolo yak. They are a ton of fun to play off of. As William said they are indestructible and I would have no problem buying one used. They are boring to paddle for just exercise though.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Honestly I can't remember. It was something warehouse. It was at the end of last summer and they had some killer sales with free shipping. I may have book marked it, if so I'll check when I get home and let you know.

She sounds pretty athletic so she'll get the hang of it quick. I think an intermediate board would be the way to go, a happy medium between speed and distance. If she really likes it you could always go back and get a yolo yak. They are a ton of fun to play off of. As William said they are indestructible and I would have no problem buying one used. They are boring to paddle for just exercise though.
A Yak might be good for me but I definitely want to get her something a little sportier. We've rented SUP's in the past and she was up and cruising before I was and I used to surf some as a teenager.