Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2015, 10:14 PM

Question on obtaining a license to race Master 55+

Can someone tell me how you can obtain a license to race in the Master's 55+ category? I'm a total nube on this topic. I currently don't have any license.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
Can someone tell me how you can obtain a license to race in the Master's 55+ category? I'm a total nube on this topic. I currently don't have any license.
Without looking it up, I think you need to upgrade to a Cat 4 first before you can race any masters category (some require you to be a Cat 3). But much of this is left up to the promoter. I would recommend racing a Cat 5 race first. Much easier, even with the knucklehead younger guys.

Last edited by Uncle Jam's Army; 04-30-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Small ring

Buy the Tegaderm before you race.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Buy the Tegaderm before you race.
It's not that bad. There's more crashes in the 4's and 3's, from what I have seen. The 5's are so scared, they actually keep a straight line.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Sometimes, even going straight isn't enough:

(if you're impatient fast-forward to about 0:55)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77zWy46o2aA
Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 AM

pretty aggressive shoulder from the guy on the yellow bike, but the bloke in the middle, having initiated things, lets himself be moved off his line. I just can't quite understand how bloke 3, having also leaned in, got it wrong and sideways when the bounce came at him.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 AM

Depends

I assume the race is permitted thru USA cycling? If there are no category restrictions, then you can buy a 1 day license and race on that. To get an exact answer, best to Post a link to the registration page. Good luck
Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allezdude View Post
I assume the race is permitted thru USA cycling? If there are no category restrictions, then you can buy a 1 day license and race on that. To get an exact answer, best to Post a link to the registration page. Good luck
I am pretty sure USAC changed this to only allow 1 day licenses in races labeled Cat5
Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 AM

http://usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=579
Old 05-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Regardless of age, you need to get a Cat 5 license, race ten races, upgrade, and then you can race your age-graded masters category.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Some explanation if you aren’t familiar with the whole Category thing…
Category is independent of age. Categories are 1 through 5, 5 being entry level, 1 elite amateur. If you are getting a license for the first time as an adult, you are a Cat. 5. One day license is basically a one-day Cat 5 license; you must race in an event open to Cat. 5.
Master’s races can be limited to riders in specific categories, like “open to Cat. 1-4 only” which is not uncommon. But also sometimes see age graded races open to Cat. 4-5, or not restricted by category at all (open to all categories). It is event specific.

Category upgrading requirements are on the USA cycling web site – 5 to 4 takes a minimum amount of race experience and for the other Category upgrades, specified experience and /or event results.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
USA Cycling licenses categorize you by three things: sex, age, and experience (aka category). There are the default allowances and the limiting ones.

Sex: if male then you cannot enter a woman's race. Male is "default" if you will.

Age: if under 18 or over 35 you typically qualify for age graded races, pending sex and age/experience. At 55+ (age on Dec 31 2015 for this year) you can enter an M55+ race pending experience/category. 18-34 is default for men, you need to meet age requirements to enter races specifying other ages.

Experience: ALL new male racers are Cat 5 (women start at 4 due to the limited number of women). This is usually the limited factor for new male racers age 35+ because many masters races are for Cat 1-4 only. This is to prevent a new but strong rider from getting mixed up in a very tight 1-2-3-4 field. As a male YOU CANNOT ENTER A RACE OUTSIDE YOUR CATEGORY, regardless of age.

Cat 5 (by definition all will be male; this applies to Cat 4 women also) can get a One Day license at the race. You pay $15 for the day but you can get back one day (I think) if you buy an annual later the same year for $70. Ask the promoter if they'll be doing One Day licenses.

If you want to dip your toes in the water you can do the One Day, do the 5s, and go from there. If you want to give it a serious go then get the Annual, do the 5s, and go from here.

Tip: although you may think that the M55s will be easier than the Cat 5s, that's typically not true. If you look at some results in the area, like the Cat 3s, you'll see some M50-M55 riders doing quite well in those open age races. Also, a Cat 1 M55, regardless of fitness, will be comfortable doing stuff on a bike that will probably freak out a Cat 5. You don't want to be that Cat 5 that freaks out when you get squeezed on both sides by a rapidly moving field. In the Cat 5s the gaps between riders can be quite big and seem to stay that way. In the Masters races it's usually quite tight.

I'm close to M50 (racing age 47) but I only recently started doing M45 races (and I started as a 15 year old, never took time off). I found the Cat 3s to be a bit more manageable until the last couple years. I still avoid M35 races, way too fast (basically Cat 1-2 races with Cat 3 filler). There are plenty of former national champs in the Cat3s - one around here has about 30 national titles, another few are former Olympians and former Masters National Champs. All of those riders are M50 or M55+, and they still regularly beat up on the Cat 3s.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
<snip...>
I'm close to M50 (racing age 47) but I only recently started doing M45 races (and I started as a 15 year old, never took time off). I found the Cat 3s to be a bit more manageable until the last couple years. I still avoid M35 races, way too fast (basically Cat 1-2 races with Cat 3 filler). There are plenty of former national champs in the Cat3s - one around here has about 30 national titles, another few are former Olympians and former Masters National Champs. All of those riders are M50 or M55+, and they still regularly beat up on the Cat 3s.
Hey, I'm racing with you at Lime Rock. Who are the older guys to watch out for? Norton? Who else?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
There are two options -- buy a one day license for the race you're interested in, if the promoters make it available, or buy an annual license. You can do that online at usacycling.org. There technically are categories for Masters riders, but there never are separate fields, so you don't really need to be concerned about categories (5, 4, etc.). Best wishes!
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM

It sounds like it's all over the map depending on your location. Best to find some local masters and talk to them. Join a local team that has a bunch of masters racers, lots of help that way.

Here it's 50+ with all categories together (open).

The 50+ fast guys can (and do) ride in a 1,2 field. Not fair for a beginner, demoralizing to be riding as hard as you can and get lapped several times by a pack of guys with a ton of experience. Most 5's race 5's regardless of their age because of this. Your location will probably be somewhat different. Some locations have a 4,5 race for your age group, that will probably work out the best if it's available.