Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 PM

One more thing (sorry!). I want to confirm I have everything I need to put this together when it all gets here/I get the time, so if you could review the list that would be greatly appreciated!

Purchased:
-Frameset (fork, headtube, etc).
-Handlebars/stem
-Seatpost/seat
-Groupset (BB, brakes, etc).
-Brake nuts (thanks for the ebay link!)
-Wheels
-Tires
-Pedals/cleats

To purchase:
-Innertubes
-Handelbar tap (+electrical tape!)
-Handlebar caps
-Pump

Am I missing anything? Like I said this is my first build but I would like to be thorough/prepared.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Do you have all the tools you'll need?

Mostly, you'll need metric Allen wrenches, but some other stuff like a 3-hand brake tool will make life simpler for you. Depending on your components you may or may not need cone wrenches. (I'm not familiar with the newer groups.)

Edit: Also, anti-seize compound, grease, various lubes, etc etc.

Last edited by Louis; 05-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Riding Along

Every role of bar tape includes end caps.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 PM

If I may say so: your questions suggest that you have no experience buying parts let alone installing them correctly. Are you so experienced in other mechanical systems that you feel you can do a competent job assembling this lovely bike? Maybe you should try to take it to an experienced tech who will let you watch his work and answer your questions so you can do your SECOND build properly. I watched a good tech build two bikes before I felt like trying one on my own.

FWIW, many good mechanics don't want to try to correct amateurs' botched jobs.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Do you have all the tools you'll need?

Mostly, you'll need metric Allen wrenches, but some other stuff like a 3-hand brake tool will make life simpler for you. Depending on your components you may or may not need cone wrenches. (I'm not familiar with the newer groups.)

Edit: Also, anti-seize compound, grease, various lubes, etc etc.
+1. Tools, tools and more tools.

For a carbon frame, a torque wrench is a must, imo.

Got cabling? Housing? Tools for cutting said housing properly? That group come with a cassette of some kind?

Lots of small bits. Ferrules and cable tip ends.

To second Ken's point, when in doubt take it to a professional or someone you know who's got a lot of knowledge on this sort of thing. A broken Ottrott -- especially on a budget -- would be a very bad thing to try to fix.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
If I may say so: your questions suggest that you have no experience buying parts let alone installing them correctly. Are you so experienced in other mechanical systems that you feel you can do a competent job assembling this lovely bike? Maybe you should try to take it to an experienced tech who will let you watch his work and answer your questions so you can do your SECOND build properly. I watched a good tech build two bikes before I felt like trying one on my own.

I am studying to be an ME, have ton a large amount of woodworking and have machining experience as well . I am comfortable with most things mechanical and have a good bit of tools at my disposal. I plan to do this right, and if that means asking a new question for every step so be it. I would much rather put it together myself so I understand how it all works. Plus I think it would be a great thing to learn.

I'll have to pick up a torque wrench, and when I get there I'll have to ask where to put anti-seize or grease. I assume the seat post should have grease, beyond that I'll have to do some research.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeship View Post

I'll have to pick up a torque wrench, and when I get there I'll have to ask where to put anti-seize or grease. I assume the seat post should have grease, beyond that I'll have to do some research.
This'll probably start a 20-page digression, but I always use carbon assembly paste when putting an alloy post into a carbon frame, rather than grease.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 PM

Help with first bike build: Serotta Ottrott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
This'll probably start a 20-page digression, but I always use carbon assembly paste when putting an alloy post into a carbon frame, rather than grease.
OP has an Ottrot, so has a ti seat-tube, not sure what post is going on the bike... but it had better match the stem .

Once the seatpost is identified its easily still worth a page for the grease/ti-prep/anti-seize/friction paste debates
Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 AM

If you are in college, many campuses have a co-op like shop that let you borrow tools. You'll not likely use many of the tools very often, like the cassette lockring tool. They can also supply you with advice.
Just go slow and triple check everything, especially things that could cause a lot of damage like shifting the rear derailleur into the wheel or even a little damage like dropping the chain off the crank on either side.

I didn't see any bottles/cages on your list.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
If you are in college, many campuses have a co-op like shop that let you borrow tools. You'll not likely use many of the tools very often, like the cassette lockring tool. They can also supply you with advice.
Just go slow and triple check everything, especially things that could cause a lot of damage like shifting the rear derailleur into the wheel or even a little damage like dropping the chain off the crank on either side.

I didn't see any bottles/cages on your list.
I didn't think about that! We do have an on-campus bike repair/assistance place. I will have to ask.

I did get a cage with a frame, forgot to mention that but thank you!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Riding Along

Pick up a copy of this and 99.9% of your questions will be answered, in detail.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Get some on-line instruction guides as well. I like the Park Tools videos and the Bike Repair app on my ipad.

Cyclists are usually a social lot. If they know how to work on a bike, they usually enjoy it and would enjoy helping you out. If you know anybody who is good with bike tools, you could probably get him to come over and help for the price of some beers and a pizza. I know I do this for friends and always have a good time. (Although I make them come to my shop where I have my tools and know the set up works).
Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Get some on-line instruction guides as well. I like the Park Tools videos and the Bike Repair app on my ipad.
+1

The Park Tool web site has tons on good info and it's definitely worth spending some time there.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post

I agree with this sentiment, but I'll also concede that different people learn and acquire skills differently. If you're more of a hands on, trial by error type of learner, then tackling head this build head on without any experience makes sense. You might make a bunch of mistakes, but you'll learn from them and have great bike at the end.
I don't want to speak for others, but some of the collective Angst that you might be sensing it that you're working on a very high end, prized, even adored work of art. It might make more sense to try to put together a lower level entry model to get some practice.
Good luck with the build. I highly recommend getting good tools and the proper tools. They made the biggest difference for me.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeship View Post

If that blue looks 1/2 as good in person as it does in this photo that is going to be one bad A$$ looking bike.

Love it!