Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Home Brew

3 parts mineral spirits 1 part any synthetic oil.

Apply by spraying lightly on a sponge brush and applying to chain while spinning.

Before I get the sponge brush dirty on the chain, I dab every bare metal part on my bike with it.

30 seconds but a bit messy. Would not use this method if I was working in the house.

I don't question the 12/12/12 method but I only have 10 fingers and generally wear socks. Thus I go for a more simple method.

I also use the Home Brew as a parts cleaner. Works great to clean skateboard bearings, chains etc. I brush it on keys to lube locks, use it to quiet hinges and any/every other thing that might benefit from a bit of oil.

Considered using it on my hair but I'm a Dapper Dan man. "a pleasin' odor's half the point."

Last edited by mg2ride; 05-03-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Usually use an oil based lube.
Has anyone tried this, wax based?
http://www.squirtlube.com/
I got a sample at last years Sea Otter. I used it on my chain and cleats until gone, very pleased with the product.

I've used so many different lubes over the years. I keep coming back to Finish Line Dry. I think the key to having a clean and quiet chain is wiping it down occasionally between lubes.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Are you guys doing a full clean between 12-12-12 applications? (I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner after 2-3 Mobil 1 applications)
I'm not. 12-12-12 the first time and after any time the bike gets a full detailing (which is pretty rare). For most interim re-applications I just add 5-6 drops, run the chain backwards a few times and wipe the side plates. That gets me another 100-200 miles before it's time to lube again.

I've been using the original NFS for a few years now and switched to the Silca version last year for some bikes. The stuff lasts a really long time. Easily a year per bottle or even longer. The original lasts a little longer, but the Silca version runs a little cleaner.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I want to try NFS but it just dosent register. I dont see how there could be enough lube for a chain in 12 drops.
The lube employes patented capillary marketing technology to propagate amongst well-meaning bike enthusiasts who want to support guys in the trade.

Seriously, I use it and it works OK, but on dry fire roads here in CA it definitely picks up more dust than dry lubes I'veused. Since it doesn't rain here any more, can't say how it does in the wet.

Chain stays quieter longer than usual it seems, though I"m not convinced that quiet = well-lubed; somewhere on the web I've read about tests showing that it actually doesn't lube that well compared to others -- perhaps someone can direct me to the test, which I recall seemed quite legit.

My buddy who rides almost exclusively on fire roads thinkshis chains were wearing out faster when using it, whether due to the dirt attraction, less frequent application, or mediocre lubrication properties who knows. I got what was left of his bottle and will go back to dry lube when I'm done with it.

Smells noticeably industrial too, for that faux-blue collar hipster vibe.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Amazed not to see one mention of PG2000 also known as ProLink.

http://bikes.progoldmfr.com/products/?product=prolink

Its great stuff on or off road. You may need to add some on an all day dirt ride or if its raining.

I love BoeShield T9 for what its good for. Chain lube is not it's strong point, IMO. Collects dirt like crazy, especially out West where its dusty. But I use it for everything else on the bike such as a drop on each threaded joint at assembly or after a wash.

http://boeshield.com/bike/
Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 AM
Lanterne rouge

Alright, I ordered some of the NFS. We will see.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Chain Lube Rec? Difficulty: Dirt roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Amazed not to see one mention of PG2000 also known as ProLink.

http://bikes.progoldmfr.com/products/?product=prolink

Its great stuff on or off road. You may need to add some on an all day dirt ride or if its raining.

I love BoeShield T9 for what its good for. Chain lube is not it's strong point, IMO. Collects dirt like crazy, especially out West where its dusty. But I use it for everything else on the bike such as a drop on each threaded joint at assembly or after a wash.

http://boeshield.com/bike/

I have used both Prolink and Boeshield on and off road. Squirt is better than both. Boeshield requires more frequent applications. Squirt keeps the chain cleaner than Prolink, although there is a little wax buildup.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have used both Prolink and Boeshield on and off road. Squirt is better than both. Boeshield requires more frequent applications. Squirt keeps the chain cleaner than Prolink, although there is a little wax buildup.
Used all three, and agree..Boeshield frequent applications, Prolink attracts dirt.
I liked the Squirt but like you said wax build-up, I use it in my speedplay pedals and cleats. Finish Line dry wins out on those three imo for chains.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
How can 12 drops cover 110 links/rollers/pins?
It's rheological/flowability properties With a little thixotropy thrown in.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

(mainly the thixotropy, but who's counting?)

Actually, the way that Josh describes it (thixotropy aside), is that you can invert the bottle and touch the nozzle to one of the, say inside, chain side plates. When the lube comes out, it will adhere, and as you backpedal, it will 'pull a thread' of lube out along the side plates. Your then repeat on the outer plates. A little tricky, but it can be done, and this way, you can see the material getting onto each link.

Last edited by OtayBW; 05-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM

Chain Lube Rec? Difficulty: Dirt roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Doh! Of course! Why didn't I think of that! :-)
Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
foo

I just started using NFS recently. It's pretty good and nice and quiet on pavement rides. On dirt (SoCal), I'm not convinced yet - it seems to get noisy/dry pretty quickly. I might experiment with a slightly higher dosage.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM

All about the lightning: white lightning.