Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Byron

So Vanilla needs a n armored truck to deliver the precious product? it's the bubble bike. Get out there and ride - anything.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
So Vanilla needs a n armored truck to deliver the precious product? it's the bubble bike. Get out there and ride - anything.
The armored truck if for the truck load of cash they are charging for them.

I'm not going to go around saying that Vanilla has jumped the shark but word on the street is that Sacha has been seen practicing.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM
jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post

I'm not going to go around saying that Vanilla has jumped the shark but word on the street is that Sacha has been seen practicing.
All I'll say is that their Customer Service,/customer care is outstanding and my SV is a joy to ride.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
actually most of the time the truck serves as the team van for the CX team when they travel and race events. I dont recall the race bikes being bubbled wrapped
Old 05-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
actually most of the time the truck serves as the team van for the CX team when they travel and race events. I dont recall the race bikes being bubbled wrapped
OK. How's the mpg?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM

I stopped by Thursday to say hi to Sasha and check out the urban gravel grinder.

Definitely a different ride, it was about 2cm too big for me but the coaster brake was something I haven't ridden in a long time.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Vendor

Thanks for the pics. How many people showed up for the ride? I would've loved to go to that too, but my weekends are usually busy with kid stuff.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
word on the street is that Sacha has been seen practicing.
practicing...?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeloy View Post
All I'll say is that their Customer Service,/customer care is outstanding and my SV is a joy to ride.
I recently took possession of a SV and went to Portland for the fitting. I will have to post pictures of it soon, but can say that it is a fantastic ride. It isn't light(and I went for carbon seat tube), but feels solid and perfectly balanced. I was very happy with the fit Sacha did and would value a Vanilla more since he works on those directly. They aren't cheap, and value is a relative thing, but if you lust after the design details and like a steel frame then you would be very pleased.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Quote:

Poor form to argue personal taste. All I can say is when you or I plunk down the Benjamins on a custom - beyond the tube manipulation, the fabrication, the overall craft, the aesthetic, the paint - the only thing that really matters is that the ride delivers.

I can tell you my Vanilla lugged road absolutely delivers and rails downhill better than the Kodak Gallery Sierra Nevada Ottrott, IF SSR 953 SEC, Parlee Z3C, Moots CR, and Peg Responsorium I have had the pleasure of riding.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:01 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Thanks for the pics and reportage. How old is your daughter? I like that you're indoctrinating her with custom frames... double edged sword though when she comes asking for one.
She is now 15.5 and has been riding with me since age 4. She has the fitness, stamina and desire to do pretty much any ride I can do <50 miles whether road or dirt (albeit slower).

This didn't happen overnight. Hours spent with her. Hours. But the kid can shred...from the easier Advanced DH runs at lift-assisted Northstar-at-Tahoe to really technical single track to doing our benchmark 3.3/1300' climb at age 9 and winning her age group twice last year racing CX.

All that said...if some guy ties to date her and has less than five bikes he better go home. If she wants/needs a custom frame she will get one. Not indulgence when the rider has earned proven deserved. In all seriousness...it will prolly be a Di2/Ui2 bike. Electric is the perfect solution for small hands. .

Last edited by pdmtong; 05-04-2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM
jam

Vanilla at Mission Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
poor form to argue personal taste. All i can say is when you or i plunk down the benjamins on a custom - beyond the tube manipulation, the fabrication, the overall craft, the aesthetic, the paint - the only thing that really matters is that the ride delivers.

I can tell you my vanilla lugged road absolutely delivers and rails downhill better than the kodak gallery sierra nevada ottrott, if ssr 953 sec, parlee z3c, moots cr, and peg responsorium i have had the pleasure of riding.

+1
Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
She is now 15.5 and has been riding with me since age 4. She has the fitness, stamina and desire to do pretty much any ride I can do <50 miles whether road or dirt (albeit slower).

This didn't happen overnight. Hours spent with her. Hours. But the kid can shred...from the easier Advanced DH runs at lift-assisted Northstar-at-Tahoe to really technical single track to doing our benchmark 3.3/1300' climb at age 9 and winning her age group twice last year racing CX.

All that said...if some guy ties to date her and has less than five bikes he better go home. If she wants/needs a custom frame she will get one. Not indulgence when the rider has earned proven deserved. In all seriousness...it will prolly be a Di2/Ui2 bike. Electric is the perfect solution for small hands. .
That's awesome. My son is 5 and he currently loves to ride bikes. I'm hoping his interest in it continues as he gets older then I would be more than happy to assist him in getting the "right" bike.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Is it now against forum rules/etiquette to disagree?

Quote:
Poor form to argue personal taste. All I can say is when you or I plunk down the Benjamins on a custom - beyond the tube manipulation, the fabrication, the overall craft, the aesthetic, the paint - the only thing that really matters is that the ride delivers.

I can tell you my Vanilla lugged road absolutely delivers and rails downhill better than the Kodak Gallery Sierra Nevada Ottrott, IF SSR 953 SEC, Parlee Z3C, Moots CR, and Peg Responsorium I have had the pleasure of riding.
I don't think anyone was arguing but I will admit that it is pretty amazing that Sacha has been able to nail it both in terms or aesthetics and performance given that he has no particular pedigree on the performance side.

ATMO, it is the over the top design features, the over the top price and the over the top limited availability that makes it appear TO ME, that he might be on the verge of the jump.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
All that said...if some guy ties to date her and has less than five bikes he better go home.
Too funny. I've heard similar stories with skiers, rock climbers, sailors, etc. Hell, even I was guilty of this in my 30's. I'd meet a woman and she would say that she skis. Well, there's skiing and there's skiing, and her version of skiing was that she took a bus trip from Jersey once a year. Uh, no.

Sounds like you two have a blast together. Good luck to her.