Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 03:41 PM

SF to LA Summer Tour

Saw a thread over in the classifieds that was selling artichoke bread from Pescadero, or maybe a Sachs tourer, I can't remember. Either way, it reminded me to ask if anyone has any other good mini-adventures or things I should not miss on a 9-day tour from San Francisco to Los Angeles this summer (June 15-23 or 24th).

There will be four of us, and we will be on the 1 along the coast for nearly the whole ride. Besides artichoke bread at Arcangeli's, anything else I should hit up along the way? Iconic food stops, ice cream spots, great alternate roads, breweries, secret camping spots... anything you got! The more local the better!
Old 05-01-2015, 03:59 PM

If you are stopping in Pescadero anyway (for the artichoke bread) have lunch at Duarte's about 50yds down the street. The artichoke soup is famous, if you ask for it 50/50 with the green chile soup they will think you are a local.

http://www.duartestavern.com/

If you need to stay the night somewhere around Big Sur, try Deetjens. It will be a bit more expensive than the econoboxes a few miles north, but worth it. They will serve you dinner and breakfast. There isn't much else in close bike proximity for supplies/food.

http://www.deetjens.com/

Take the long way around San Luis Obispo. Morrow Bay > Turri Road > Osos Valley Road > Prefumo Canyon Road > Avila Beach.

As you are rolling towards Hearst Castle / Sam Simeon watch for the herd of zebra on your left side.

Last edited by Look585; 05-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:02 PM

I'm only recently local, but when we drove from TX we came through LA and took Hwy 1 north to the bay. We stopped at Sebastian's for lunch, across from Hearst Castle, because it had been recommended to us.

We liked it, then we walked down to the beach and saw a couple elephant seals. It might be worth stopping by.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 PM

oops

Last edited by Ken Robb; 05-01-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: double post
Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Cambria is just south of San Simeon and it's a lovely little town with an assortment of lodging and good restaurants. I don't know about camping there. There is a beautiful winding wooden walkway along to ocean bluffs.

Santa Rosa Creek Rd. from Cambria to Paso Robles is a challenging climb but offers beautiful views and Paso Robles has MANY wineries,etc.

If I wanted to spend a couple of days between SF and LA Cambria would be my first choice. It's very bike-friendly too.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:39 PM

Did the SF to LA ride the last 2 years with the Arthritis Foundation and ride down the 1 pretty much the whole way. So much to see and do. I'd spend some time in SF and the surrounding community if I had the time. On the way down, don't miss

1. 17 mile drive just south on Monterey. Beautiful area, free for cyclists.
2. Big Sur river inn, not for the lodging but the river behind it. Grab a beer or 2, sit in the Adirondack chairs they have set up in the shallow river, dip the feet in the refreshing water.
3. Cuyacos is a great little seaside community with cute cafe's and infamous brown sugar cookies.
4. Sebastian's on the west side of the 1 in San Simeon is a good spot for good food, as already mentioned above.
5. Cambria is also a great little community with cute cafes and restaurants. Grocery store there if needed.
6. Consider a side trip towards Paso Robles if you like wine. Riding Peachy Canyon is divine.
7. Santa Ynez wineries!
8. Hot springs in Avila beach, great for sore muscles.
9. Gladstones in Malibu for lunch and drinks.

Last edited by radsmd; 05-01-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Amazing stuff, thanks!!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:05 PM
cnighbor2

SF to LA by bicycle

SF to LA by bicycle
To avoid the cost of expensive motels, Bed and Breakfast and eTC I use this simple trick
I have my Yacht simply follow me down the coast And for lunch or dinner or for evening hours till the next morning I simply ride down to nearest marina on the coast and go aboard After notifying the Captain at which marine I will be at
Charles
Old 05-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Never-nude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
SF to LA by bicycle
To avoid the cost of expensive motels, Bed and Breakfast and eTC I use this simple trick
I have my Yacht simply follow me down the coast And for lunch or dinner or for evening hours till the next morning I simply ride down to nearest marina on the coast and go aboard After notifying the Captain at which marine I will be at
Charles
Using the yacht for an occasional meal and dinner will save a few bucks too.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:59 PM

I highly recommend this book: http://smile.amazon.com/Bicycling-Pa...+pacific+coast

It breaks down all the segments of this ride and gives you feeding and resting options along the way. I found it more useful than the ACA stuff.

Just copy the pages you need and bring them along.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:57 PM

For the past two years I've ridden from SF to LA (Culver City) with the Fireflies West group to raise money for Cancer. Here's the link to the site.

http://www.fireflieswest.com

The ride is six days. We stay on the CA1 most of the way.

Day 1 - SF - Santa Cruz
Day 2 - Santa Cruz to Big Sur (we stay at the Big Sur Lodge - nice place to stay)
Day 3 - Big Sur to Cayucos (nice little community by the coast). When we come off the climbs in Big Sur we have lunch in Sebastians in San Simeon. Also check out the Seal Elephant park.
Day 4 - Caucus to Solvang. This is our long day. We go inland to a very cool Dutch-like town. Riding there we ride through some vineyards.
Day 5 - Solvang to Ventura - Staying on the coast at the Ventura Inn.
Day 6 - Ventura to Culver City.

Being a Florida boy who doesn't have a the same type of coastline or climbs I had a lot of holycrap moments, both sites and suffering. Check out the site for some more info. I have my garmin files - so if you want to see the exact route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
Did the SF to LA ride the last 2 years with the Arthritis Foundation and ride down the 1 pretty much the whole way.
Last year my wife and I flew into LA and drove up the coast. One day we stopped on the south end of Big Sur at the Ragged Point in and I met some of the riders from the Arthritis Foundation Ride. Great group of riders.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngmartin View Post
Saw a thread over in the classifieds that was selling artichoke bread from Pescadero, or maybe a Sachs tourer, I can't remember. Either way, it reminded me to ask if anyone has any other good mini-adventures or things I should not miss on a 9-day tour from San Francisco to Los Angeles this summer (June 15-23 or 24th).

There will be four of us, and we will be on the 1 along the coast for nearly the whole ride. Besides artichoke bread at Arcangeli's, anything else I should hit up along the way? Iconic food stops, ice cream spots, great alternate roads, breweries, secret camping spots... anything you got! The more local the better!
Some great tattoo parlors along Garnet Street in Pacific Beach..got a Campagnolo tattoo there..wee one.

oooops, SF to LA..not far enough south..
Old 05-04-2015, 12:22 PM
In Velo Veritas

A few years ago, I was doing this ride with a couple friends and at the end of a 80-mile day, rolled into Santa Cruz. We found a place to eat, Upper Crust Pizza, and by sheer coincidence it was all-you-can-eat pasta night.

After two hours, we'd eaten so much, they cut us off.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:35 PM

Just north of Davenport there's a great strawberry farm with a little storefront... Swanton Berry Farm. Great mid-ride stop on a nice day.

http://www.swantonberryfarm.com/farm-stand
Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
SF to LA by bicycle
Charles
Great idea! And if I get too tired, I can have them pick me up with my helicopter.