Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Campy 10 derailleur q's 2008 vs 2011/14

I have a Campy Chorus group, but a long cage rear derailleur that is all silver that I am looking to swap it to black 11/14 model, or a carbon plated record 2008 model.

The front shifting seemed...not as crisp as on a shimano bike I have.

Now, I'm curious if the newer 2011/2014/ series of 10 speed derailleurs are vastly better, or slightly better. I do like my alloy levers though.
Is it worth it to swap/change both, or just the rear, and stick to 2008 or get an off group superior rear derailleur

Thanks for the help with this slightly tech question.

https://instagram.com/p/vMo5WQDr3j/?...by=canadasteep
Old 05-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadasteep View Post
I have a Campy Chorus group, but a long cage rear derailleur that is all silver that I am looking to swap it to black 11/14 model, or a carbon plated record 2008 model.

The front shifting seemed...not as crisp as on a shimano bike I have.

Now, I'm curious if the newer 2011/2014/ series of 10 speed derailleurs are vastly better, or slightly better. I do like my alloy levers though.
Is it worth it to swap/change both, or just the rear, and stick to 2008 or get an off group superior rear derailleur

Thanks for the help with this slightly tech question.

https://instagram.com/p/vMo5WQDr3j/?...by=canadasteep

I would do 5mm der housing and brass ferrules with 1.1 slick inner wires first.

New dears would be crisper but mostly cuz they are new rather than a few years old.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
New dears would be crisper but mostly cuz they are new rather than a few years old.
I think this ^^^ hits it on it on the head. How much mileage are on your shifters and derailleurs? Maybe shifter or rear derailleur rebuilds are in order.

Post 2008 is when Chorus and above went to 11 speed. So post 2008 10s parts are Centaur and Veloce only. And I believe Centaur was discontinued for 2014. Or you could find NOS parts pre-2008.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:42 PM
v a n i l l a

There is no difference in how the FD shifts between my 2008 chorus and my 2011 chorus other than the 2011 takes one less click....three vs. four.

I would love to move the bikes all to 11 but it's just not worth it to me (yet)

If getting a new bike, yes, 11 all the way. But retro a few old...other uses for that money right now plus not concerned with wheel sharing.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 PM

Was more interested in how much the tech has changed when the groups "evolved", for instance, how much better is rear shifting, 5%?

Basically posting to minimize buyer's remorse.
The shifters are like new, 100 miles (nos score), the rear derailleur was slightly used, long cage but at a good price, but the long cage is not necessart for 2 rings.

Just trying to see if a newer all black rear der. has any advantages over the older style. Also with trickle down tech, how similar is say the 2014 centaur
to 2008 chorus and record? did most of the good ness - minus ti - make it over?

But if the group ever gets upgraded, I'd need to keep it a group for fussy folk!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Was more interested in how much the tech has changed when the groups "evolved", for instance, how much better is rear shifting, 5%?

Basically posting to minimize buyer's remorse.
The shifters are like new, 100 miles (nos score), the rear derailleur was slightly used, long cage but at a good price, but the long cage is not necessart for 2 rings.

Just trying to see if a newer all black rear der. has any advantages over the older style. Also with trickle down tech, how similar is say the 2014 centaur
to 2008 chorus and record
? did most of the good ness - minus ti - make it over?

But if the group ever gets upgraded, I'd need to keep it a group for fussy folk!
The designs up and down the line are essentially the same, per year. Materials mark the difference along with things like 'Campagnolo' on a bolt head vs not. A new rear der 'may' seem crisper but not sure if it's 'worth' it to you.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM

^^Pretty much. Thanks for the input/being a sounding board.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 PM

Also, would an Athena 11 speed rear der. shift 10 speed just fine?

these are just more available than a 10sp Chorus/Record part, plus it's all metal and black. (sorry, I'm mistmatching for a "reason".)
Old 06-30-2015, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Also, would an Athena 11 speed rear der. shift 10 speed just fine?

these are just more available than a 10sp Chorus/Record part, plus it's all metal and black. (sorry, I'm mistmatching for a "reason".)
Yes. A 'little overshift' but that's not bad. 10s Record/Chorus last made in 2008..not surprised they are hard to find(7 years)