Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2023, 03:20 PM

Recall crank

Just picked up from shop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0112.jpg (70.8 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0113.jpg (71.1 KB, 354 views)
Old 10-20-2023, 03:23 PM

Are these new cranks still glued together?
Old 10-20-2023, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
sure looks like it, i can see the seam from here in NJ
Old 10-20-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Yes, but Shimano has changed their process to assure that the previous failure doesn't happen (or so they say).
Old 10-20-2023, 03:43 PM

And the replacement cranksets are around 10% heavier. I'd imagine they made some design changes.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
The other three sets were returned to me.
So they weren’t sent to Shimano?
Old 10-21-2023, 07:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Did your LBS return your other three cranksets to you? I ask because this recall appears to have very different applications depending on the LBS. In your case, it sounds like one crank (out of four) was sent to Shimano for inspection/replacement. Other LBSs have been reported to send ALL affected cranksets to Shimano (regardless of whether they showed cracks or not). This apparently inconsistent application of the recall is troubling to me because of the possibility that not all consumers are treated equally AND the potential for affected cranks to fail after inspection. I am hopeful that Shimano will eventually replace ALL affected cranks.

Greg
JB__11-
Quote:
The other three sets were returned to me.
I find that incredibly negligent on shimano's part. NO guarantees they won't fail in the future. YES, slides liability from shimano to that LBS..as an owner, I wouldn't stand for it.

Hopefully the class action lawsuit gets shimano's attention..doubt it tho. shimano has a legion of lawyers working on this debacle.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:11 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

They look like 6800 & R8000 had babies.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
So they weren’t sent to Shimano?
Correct, the other three were only inspected locally.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
JB__11-

I find that incredibly negligent on shimano's part. NO guarantees they won't fail in the future. YES, slides liability from shimano to that LBS..as an owner, I wouldn't stand for it.

Hopefully the class action lawsuit gets shimano's attention..doubt it tho. shimano has a legion of lawyers working on this debacle.
I suppose anything is possible in the US legal system, but I'd think Shimano still holds the liability. They certainly have the deeper pockets.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
When I first heard of the recall, I pulled my Dura ace crank, cleaned it up, and inspected it. I didn't see anything suspect, but took it to the local shop anyways. They also didn't see anything wrong, but said they are returning everything so that shimano had the final say and associated liability. I left it with them and they just messaged yesterday that both crank arms are being replaced and should be in the store ready for pickup next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb94 View Post
I no longer work at a shop, but if I did, this is what I would do. Good on your shop. Glad it worked out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
I suppose anything is possible in the US legal system, but I'd think Shimano still holds the liability. They certainly have the deeper pockets.
Shimano has deeper pockets to fight it in court unlike the bike shop/mechanic, who's likely to be thrown under the bus by both the shop and Shimano.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:49 PM

I’m in the camp that Shimano has the liability. If not, those shops better worry about the hundreds of cranks they’ve sold over the years.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:42 PM
Randomhead

Most bike shops in the U.S. have insurance for that. I don't know if we are going to see any suits about failures, but if we do, it's going to name any shop that was involved with the crank. That's just how the U.S. legal system works. Last time I was at jury selection, one case had 5 sets of lawyers. It was a real cluster, and a particularly annoying waste of time.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:38 PM

I haven't really read any of this thread.

As a boots on the ground shop manager, I can tell you that Shimano is explicitly releasing inspection-participating shops from liability should an inspected crank fail down the line.

I just sent in a crank last week that I thought would get returned to me, billed as being fine - new DA crankset on the way as of Friday.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:54 PM

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
I haven't really read any of this thread.

As a boots on the ground shop manager, I can tell you that Shimano is explicitly releasing inspection-participating shops from liability should an inspected crank fail down the line.

I just sent in a crank last week that I thought would get returned to me, billed as being fine - new DA crankset on the way as of Friday.
Except that doesn't stop the shop being tied up as a defendant in civil court. As a shop manager so you really think shimano will provide council for free?
The fact that an LBS could inspect a crank that passes inspection and then fails and causes injury would be enough for me to either not participate in the inspections or send every crank that came through my door to shimano to decide.

In the current plan there is even a record logged in the shimano system that the lbs inspected and passed a crank. Shimano never even had the chance to look at it. food for thought.

Imagine this scenario applied to automobiles... if the dealer said it was good for now and the recall failed later
causing injury, the dealership, the service advisor, the mechanic, and anyone else who it couod be proved was.involved in passing the item, would absolutely be named in a civil case.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've known people who have sued for injuries in civil court and a business owner who was sued for north of 7 figures.

Last edited by Permanent socks; 10-21-2023 at 06:43 PM.