Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 08:05 AM

Shimano Crankset Recall

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Sh...o-Crash-Hazard

This goes out to all the guys who said "this isn't that common"
Quote:
The firm has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
0.59% failure rate, at the very least. Big numbers and small numbers, they'll always get you in the end.

Last edited by spoonrobot; 09-21-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:12 AM

about time, although they've been good about replacing them
Old 09-21-2023, 08:13 AM

Save some people a click:

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:18 AM
Randomhead

I feel like they are going to have to expand that recall.

It's hard to generalize, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems like this problem is much more likely to affect cranks that are ridden a lot in the rain. I imagine that shops in certain areas of the world are going to find a lot of cracked cranks.

I have to admit that I'm a bit less likely to buy a shimano crank because of this problem.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-21-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:28 AM

The remedy is not great for the riders. Some people will bring in their bike, mechanic says there’s nothing wrong with the cranks, and off they go. But that crank still has a failure risk. Riders should be keeping an eye on them regularly to check for separation/de-bonding.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebr View Post
The remedy is not great for the riders. Some people will bring in their bike, mechanic says there’s nothing wrong with the cranks, and off they go. But that crank still has a failure risk. Riders should be keeping an eye on them regularly to check for separation/de-bonding.
Yeah agreed, and this isn't exactly news to me or a lot of other people. Both my and my wife's main road bikes run 11 speed Ultegra (R8000) cranks and are nominally affected. However, I can check them probably as well as the shop can but I know there is always a chance of failure with these cranks.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:44 AM

I guess the good news is that it should make getting these replaced even easier when they fail. The bad news is, to avoid failure, you have to catch them at the point after they've started to fail and before they completely fail.

Does anyone know if these failures are only on the drive side, or could they affect non-drive side too? Asking for someone with a few left side Stages power meters.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I guess the good news is that it should make getting these replaced even easier when they fail. The bad news is, to avoid failure, you have to catch them at the point after they've started to fail and before they completely fail.

Does anyone know if these failures are only on the drive side, or could they affect non-drive side too? Asking for someone with a few left side Stages power meters.
The left crank on Dura-Ace is included in the inspection.

Power meter crankarms not made by Shimano are going to have to jump through extra hoops to get made whole.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:43 AM
Meh

I gave up completely on Shimano after the 12 speed XT/XTR shifter debacle and the (still ongoing) defects in their Servowave mountain bike brakes.

I do not understand the consistent pattern Shimano has of simply denying serious issues and fixing them quietly without remedy, recourse, or notice to the public. This crankset issue has been notorious for many years and it is hazardous. It should not take four years for them to come clean.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
I gave up completely on Shimano after the 12 speed XT/XTR shifter debacle and the (still ongoing) defects in their Servowave mountain bike brakes.
whats the problem with the 12 speed shifters?
Old 09-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
whats the problem with the 12 speed shifters?
Defective spring design in XT and XTR shifters causes the downshift lever to completely fail, permanently. Shimano warrantied three of them in a row for me before I got sick of the routine.

I believe they’ve quietly fixed the issue but never admitted it.

As for the cranks, never forget 2019-2023 THANKSSHIMANO https://instagram.com/thanksshimano
Old 09-21-2023, 09:58 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Defective spring design in XT and XTR shifters causes the downshift lever to completely fail, permanently. Shimano warrantied three of them in a row for me before I got sick of the routine.

I believe they’ve quietly fixed the issue but never admitted it.

As for the cranks, never forget 2019-2023 THANKSSHIMANO https://instagram.com/thanksshimano
And this goes for the chainsets too I'd say. The fact that I have R8000 cranks marked UK 'NOT' being on the recall list speaks to that.

I still wonder looking at some Pacenti V1 SL23 rims up on the wall I'd never sell just how many products skim under the radar. I have used them for myself with a washer schemata after several trials.

I make the point as unlike the cranks rims wear out faster outta there service life, yada. Is this how products like the V1 SL23 skate ultimately? How many other cycling products skate?
Old 09-21-2023, 10:01 AM
Administrator

This is from CyclingNews...

Quote:
If you are in North America and believe you have an affected crank, you are advised to immediately stop using it and contact a Shimano dealer or an authorised inspection centre (essentially any store that is familiar with Shimano components and has passed Shimano's maintenance course). The dealer will then perform an inspection, and where signs of delamination or separation are found, a free replacement will be issued.
So what if the cranks haven't been used enough for any delamination to occur?
Old 09-21-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
This is from CyclingNews...

So what if the cranks haven't been used enough for any delamination to occur?
Keep riding.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Keep riding.
That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies