Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM
n - 1

OT: Toyota Sienna AWD owners

I'm looking at getting a minivan. Kids, carpools, etc., the wife is all on-board to gain more passenger space, cargo room, and overall better utility.

We live in a snow state, and for the places we go, AWD is almost a must (ski resorts, back country roads, etc). So the obvious choice (because it was the only choice) is the Sienna AWD. Given Toyota's reputation for reliability and thought-out designs, I didn't think there would be any issues. However, a relative who bought an AWD model has some gripes, such as poor MPG (only 20MPG on the freeway !), and no spare tire. They come with run-flats, which, according to the relative, they don't perform as well, and expensive to replace (although a quick check on tirerack says it's not that bad).

So now, I'm rethinking the purchase. We definitely want to go with a minivan, instead of an SUV/CUV. If we absolutely had to, we could make a FWD work (although we'd opt for an Odyssey if we went that route), but would prefer the AWD. I guess I can sign up for AAA to ease worries.

For those that have a Sienna AWD, any complaints? Any issues? Gripes?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM

If you go with one, look at getting into a set of drive guard run flat tires. It'll be a much nicer riding tire than the turanza or ecopia Bridgestone options, cheaper, and actually has a tread wear warranty.

Otherwise, I have no recollection on minivans. Thank my lucky stars.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 PM

You will probably still want dedicated winter tires. Also, the ground clearance is not great...had to help dig a guy out this winter in about 6-8 inches of snow.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 PM

We went through the exact same decision making process when we bought our van about 8 years ago.
We also live in a snowy, hilly, rural area. But the run flats and no spare was a deal breaker for me.
So we got the FWD drive Sienna, and have had Michelin X-Ice snow tires on it every winter. It has performed admirably. We have not gotten it stuck. Our other car is a Subaru Outback for when it's really bad outside and we just have to get somewhere.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

We have one and love the car. Every weekend in the winter, we drive to Winter Park over Berthoud pass in all weather and it has handled well in all conditions. We toss on winter tires before ski season and it has been fine. Gas mileage isn't great, but not too bad for a mini van.

We also drove it 12 hours to the Grand Canyon last year and 6 hours to Dinosaur this year and it is very comfortable on long drives. I've driven all the major mini vans as rental cars and this one is my favorite.

I was also nervous about not having a spare, and I had also heard that run flats aren't the best tires, but neither has been a problem for us.

After messing around with different options over the years, I wouldn't drive anything but a mini van with the family. Having to drive over a major pass every week in the winter, I wouldn't consider anything by AWD. So, that leaves the Sienna. Good thing for us we have really liked the car.

As a plus, the kids really like the car and especially like the Swagger Wagon song, which I had to play a lot when we first bought it.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Disclaimer: I work at a Firestone.

As an FYI, if you get tires at Firestone get the road hazard. They (any Firestone) will cover the non-damaged tires if you end up having to road hazard replace a single tire. With AWD you have to keep the 4 tires within a certain tread depth of one another and Firestone will cover the "good but worn" tires in a road hazard incident. I've done multiple 4-tire road hazard replacements in the last few days.

Also, if you really want, there are run flat snows. If you get them at Firestone then get road hazard. Also free changeover to your all season run flats, it's just a time thing (no cost).
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM

Get the FWD and a set of winter tires. We did the same about a year ago. Run flats ride like garbage. Not worth the tradeoff for the negligible odds of getting a flat.
Further to our decision was we wanted the separated captains chairs in the second row versus the two seater bench. (Infant twins and a toddler at the time.)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Administrator

We have a FWD odyssey. it performs admirably in the snow. The limiting factor is ground clearance, not drive wheel traction. Get the odyssey IMO and a set of snow tires.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM
n - 1

All great inputs. Thanks.

I think I'm still leaning AWD. I've had FWD cars with (studded) snow tires in the past. Most of the time, works well. But I've had some scary experiences, specifically going up hills when the front end starts going sideways. Luckily, the road is always cambered to the outside, so that's usually the way I start slipping, but not a fun experience. With our Subaru, it's never been an issue. Which is why I'm hesitant to get a FWD again.

Either way, snow tires will be purchased. I'm a believer.

Regarding run flats. I've been doing some reading. I might skip on the run flats and go with some nice stout tires like a Mich Defender LTX and purchase a 12v pump, plugs/slime. That, combined with AAA, I think I'll be pretty safe. Hopefully.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:36 AM

Funny, my ex still drives the Sienna AWD we bought in 2001.

Loved the van, but definitely freaked out when we wore out the run-flats in no time and saw the price to replace them.

I wrote to Toyota and expressed my extreme disappointment that the engineering choice to make the thing AWD left no room for a spare. That didn't really get me anywhere, as they just blamed the tire company, etc...

So...knowing she would surely never change the tire on her own if she got a flat anyway, the decision was made to switch to regular tires and join AAA.

Pretty sure she hasn't had a flat in 16 years.

Anyway, surprised to hear that the Totota AWD van STILL has no spare tire.

SPP
Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 AM

A spare tire is now an option on many cars

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 AM

I haven't Googled but one of the recent Siennas we serviced had a tire hanging under the middle of the chassis, under the 2nd row passenger seat. Donut spare but still a spare. Not sure if it was AWD or not.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I haven't Googled but one of the recent Siennas we serviced had a tire hanging under the middle of the chassis, under the 2nd row passenger seat. Donut spare but still a spare. Not sure if it was AWD or not.
That's where it is on our FWD.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Winter tires are a must, and frankly I'd do them with AWD as well.

Second, if you think an AAA membership will ease your mind, do you imagine that if you get stuck or something that AAA just magically shows up? It can take hours in remote areas or during winter snow events.

I'll also likely get AWD on my next vehicle, but I'm also getting winter tires. Winter tires make everything better from the first cold rains to the last dusting of snow. But they'll kill gas mileage too.

One more thing, my brother has Sienna. It's been a good vehicle, but when things get old and need work, it's expensive.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
We went through the exact same decision making process when we bought our van about 8 years ago.
We also live in a snowy, hilly, rural area. But the run flats and no spare was a deal breaker for me.
So we got the FWD drive Sienna, and have had Michelin X-Ice snow tires on it every winter. It has performed admirably. We have not gotten it stuck. Our other car is a Subaru Outback for when it's really bad outside and we just have to get somewhere.
Curious about this no spare gig(never heard of it before)...so...you are 6 hours from home, get a flat/damage..yes the 'run flat' will get you to the next town..but then what? Limited speed and distance, right? If the tires are worn past a certain amount..buy 4 at the next town? Or buy one, get home..what if you get a flat on the non run flat?

Just curious..