Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2023, 09:43 AM

Standard Axle on an All City Nature Boy?

Recently bought a beat up 2015 All City Nature Boy (rim brake) to ride as a commuter. Somebody replaced the original axles with quick release. I want to go back to the original axles. Any idea what these were? Any clue where I can buy then? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2023, 10:13 AM

Im positive those NBs were all QR to begin with. They didn't move to thru axle until they went to disc brakes.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:30 AM

Looking at the old spec sheet, it mentions the rear wheel is a fixed/free hub. That makes me think it was a bolt-on wheelset and not something you swap around to QR without changing wheels also.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Looking at the old spec sheet, it mentions the rear wheel is a fixed/free hub. That makes me think it was a bolt-on wheelset and not something you swap around to QR without changing wheels also.
This ˆˆ

You don't want to be riding QR rear wheels with track style dropouts.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the help. Not an expert on bikes by a country mile. Not even a real cyclist! I just enjoy riding, and am fortunate enough to be able to commute to work on the bike.

This is the exact bike that I purchased: https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/arch...ture_boypurple

So no thru axles, but bolt on skewers. The bike still has the original wheelset, those bolt on skewers have just been replaced with QR. I'd like to go back to bolt on skewers. I work in a low crime public area, and typically only run a cable lock through the frame and front wheel. Worried that with QR skewers my rear wheel will disappear. My current commuter has bolt on axles and it's never been touched.

Any recommendations on what the standard bolt on axle would have been and/or what I should get as a replacement for the QR? Thanks again,
Old 04-03-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
This ˆˆ

That was my other concern - haven't ridden it yet, but was worried QR would slip in the rear. Recommendations for bolt on axles?
Old 04-03-2023, 10:56 AM

It should be a 130mm spacing with horizontal "track" ends.

The original wheels would have been bolt-on SS/fixie hubs. I'm not aware of these being convertible to QR. I'm assuming the previous owner swapped wheels.

Probably this hub from the factory...
https://allcitycycles.com/parts/hubs/rear_hubs
Old 04-03-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
This ˆˆ

Why not? QRs were used reliably with horizontal road dropouts.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
It should be a 130mm spacing with horizontal "track" ends.

The original wheels would have been bolt-on SS/fixie hubs. I'm not aware of these being convertible to QR. I'm assuming the previous owner swapped wheels.

Probably this hub from the factory...
https://allcitycycles.com/parts/hubs/rear_hubs
Hmmm...guess I'm going to have look a little closer this evening. Was pretty sure it was that exact All City branded hub, but I see what you mean about it being bolt on only - no option for QR. Will check this evening and will follow up with additional questions.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah485 View Post
Hmmm...guess I'm going to have look a little closer this evening. Was pretty sure it was that exact All City branded hub, but I see what you mean about it being bolt on only - no option for QR. Will check this evening and will follow up with additional questions.

Thanks!
So just to throw in a curveball... I bought a cheap fixie wheelset years ago that someone had "converted" to QR by grinding down the hollow bolt-on axles until they could use a QR skewer instead. It worked fine enough as long as I used track tensioners. Maybe that's why it seems like an orginal wheel but with a QR.

But I understand your concerns about theft, more than rigidity in the system.

BTW, if you're out riding and enjoying bikes on purpose, you are a real cyclist.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:24 PM

If you've got fully horizontal dropouts I'd want the bolt perhaps?

But some All Cities (like mine) from that time period have "semi-horizontal" dropouts with bolts for adjusting the wheelbase. Those came with QRs and are fine with them.

I've never run mine single speed though, so I think the fact for a lot of these bikes that they ship with gearing it's good they went to standard dropouts. If you're not running fixed/SS the adjustment just presents another way for the alignment to get messed up.

I am still on the stock Tiagra hub on my bike and the original skewer after riding it for 10 years. I had the hub rebuilt a few years ago for next to nothing, but now the freehub is starting to act up so it may be on it's last legs.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:25 PM

My purple NB has All City bolt on hubs, I can measure the axle length this evening if that helps.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
So just to throw in a curveball... I bought a cheap fixie wheelset years ago that someone had "converted" to QR by grinding down the hollow bolt-on axles until they could use a QR skewer instead. It worked fine enough as long as I used track tensioners. Maybe that's why it seems like an orginal wheel but with a QR.

But I understand your concerns about theft, more than rigidity in the system.

BTW, if you're out riding and enjoying bikes on purpose, you are a real cyclist.
Thanks for the heads up - I'll take a closer look this evening.

RE: Being a real cyclist. I definitely ride a lot, but come from a running background so I treat my bike like a pair of running shoes. I get on it, I ride it hard, and then I throw it back in the garage and don't want to think about it until the next time I ride it! Hence my affinity for single speeds. And my general lack of knowledge regarding some of the nuance of bike components.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah485 View Post
I get on it, I ride it hard, and then I throw it back in the garage and don't want to think about it until the next time I ride it!
So you're basically a triathlete! How's your swimming?

j/k around, because of all the tri friends I have, it's almost 100% consistent they they have the same mentality when they bring me their bikes to work on. Except instead of single speeds, it's multi-thousand-dollar carbon aero rigs that are covered in grease, grime, sweat, Gu, salt, dust and general caked-on filth.

FWIW, I also have a SS that gets neglected on the regular compared to all my others.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
FWIW, I also have a SS that gets neglected on the regular compared to all my others.
You're dong it wrong! I have two SS and they tend to be my go-to bikes for JRA. Something about the lack of noise and simplicity just makes me smile that little bit more.