Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2015, 01:25 PM

OT: Apartments in Albany, NY

Hello fellow Paceline members,

Once again I am turning to you for some non-bike input.

My 23-year-old son is contemplating a move to Albany, NY by accepting a new role with his employer, PPG Industries. He will be traveling to Albany next week to evaluate the city and opportunity.

Can anyone make any recommendations regarding suitable apartments? He is open to apartment complexes or other stand-alone options.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hello fellow Paceline members,

Once again I am turning to you for some non-bike input.

My 23-year-old son is contemplating a move to Albany, NY by accepting a new role with his employer, PPG Industries. He will be traveling to Albany next week to evaluate the city and opportunity.

Can anyone make any recommendations regarding suitable apartments? He is open to apartment complexes or other stand-alone options.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers.
Where would his office/work be and what does he want to do with his time outside if work? A decade ago I lived in an apartment complex in Albany. There were more senior citizens then young people but I met my wife while living in that building. She was a law student at the time.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
Where would his office/work be and what does he want to do with his time outside if work? A decade ago I lived in an apartment complex in Albany. There were more senior citizens then young people but I met my wife while living in that building. She was a law student at the time.
There are plenty of apartments in Albany given all the colleges and universities. If my memory serves me though, PPG has a couple of facilities around Albany, none of which are in downtown Albany.

What does he do in his free time and weekends? How car dependent does he need/want to be? How close to his work would he want to be?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 PM

follow-up to last message

He will potentially work in Latham and he wants to live within 10 miles of this location.

He likes to run and bike.

All input is welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 PM
ZhugeLiang

Have him rent a room from BBDave and in return do all the house chores; cooking, laundry, wash dirty dishes, clean toilets, vacuum the house and lastly, wipe down his bike after the ride.

trust me, if you do that, in couple of years time, he will be ready for prime time.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:45 PM

I'm 6-7 miles north of Latham in southern Saratoga county. I'd suggest he look north of Albany, maybe as far north as Saratoga Springs if he can deal with a 20-30 minute commute. There are plenty of rental units in Latham, and in Clifton Park and southern Saratoga county. But for a 23 yr old, Saratoga would be a lot more fun.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Post Mod-ern

Hey this sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Have him rent a room from BBDave and in return do all the house chores; cooking, laundry, wash dirty dishes, clean toilets, vacuum the house and lastly, wipe down his bike after the ride.

trust me, if you do that, in couple of years time, he will be ready for prime time.
Is he a decent bike mechanic?

Seriously, lots of apartments around the Latham area and there's a new complex right off rt. 9 just south of the Mohawk River that has a direct, new connector to the main bike trail. Feel free to PM me if you want more info,.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 03-01-2015, 10:16 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I'm 6-7 miles north of Latham in southern Saratoga county. I'd suggest he look north of Albany, maybe as far north as Saratoga Springs if he can deal with a 20-30 minute commute. There are plenty of rental units in Latham, and in Clifton Park and southern Saratoga county. But for a 23 yr old, Saratoga would be a lot more fun.
Yes, this. I lived in Saratoga Springs for three years recently. Best town in upstate NY, especially for a young person. He'll probably wind up going there a lot to party, anyway. Albany is a bore. Nothing going on. Don't worry about traffic, the Albany highways are the least conjested of any sizable city I have encountered. Easy 20 minutes to Latham.

Besides, the road biking right outside of Saratoga is superb. Not Albany.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Vendor

I'm in Delmar, right next to Albany. He's welcome to stop by the shop and I can give him some "local color". I did live in Saratoga Springs for a few years so I'm familiar with the region. There are a good number of Paceliners in this area and I'm sure he can get some helpful insight. Good luck.