Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin

I have no skin in the game...but am curious how this is relevant to the conversation taking place. I don't see a bunch of mudslinging going on...and thoughts the facts were pretty well established...and that the conversation has been pretty civilized.
People seem to be making judgements and having opinions when they were never in the conversation to begin with.
Without knowing what it's like to have been in his queue, or his shoes, how does one post about these issues with
any quality? And PS I have read words (of mine) here that have been appropriated and rearranged just to get a rise.
This is hardly uncivil, but it does get noticed.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
Re Brent and this thread - were any of you in the queue, or have skin in the game?
Or are your opinions based on this simply being a popular type of thread that relates
to something you know about from a distance but have no real connection to? Who
here is directly affected by this?

Were/are you in his queue?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM

One of my friends and customers brought this discussion to my attention. I think some clarification might help.

Nothing I did in the last year was premeditated. I went into a state of depression, very dark and very deep. Those that have been there know. At the bottom I could only think to close the business and sell all the assets. When that decision was made, an enormous swell of support followed which slowly helped bring me up. We had to return deposits because it was the right thing to do. I did not get any complaints, only support. My customers, friends, and family are beyond reproach.

I have no expectations, but I now know that lots of people are concerned and do care. That in itself is worth any kind of criticism of how I have handled things.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM

I've got two Steelmans. I'm biased. I like Brent and have only good things to say about him and my dealings with him (and Katryn). I am not close enough to call him a friend, but I will gladly defend a guy who has treated me right, and he (they) has.

This notion that, because a guy steps outside of a circle, takes some time off, then steps back in re-energized, and that this reflects poorly on his character or his product, is insane-speak. Not one single post here is from someone claiming to have been screwed by him. Why cast uneccesary aspersions on the guy? Why cry fire, when there's no smoke?

If you want a bike that's delivered on time, on budget, without worry, using the latest kanban techniques, custom framebuilders aren't a good place to start.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.steelman
One of my friends and customers brought this discussion to my attention. I think some clarification might help.

Nothing I did in the last year was premeditated. I went into a state of depression, very dark and very deep. Those that have been there know. At the bottom I could only think to close the business and sell all the assets. When that decision was made, an enormous swell of support followed which slowly helped bring me up. We had to return deposits because it was the right thing to do. I did not get any complaints, only support. My customers, friends, and family are beyond reproach.

I have no expectations, but I now know that lots of people are concerned and do care. That in itself is worth any kind of criticism of how I have handled things.
I'm very glad to hear that you've moved forward with the love and help of friends and family. I've only heard good things about your work and I hope you continue to build and create.

William
Old 03-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I would hope this ends the idea of customers being unhappy.

We can talk about what "might" happen forever. Mr Steelman is ok with his customer base, then I can't see a problem. In fact it was hard to see a problem all round.
Mr Steelman decided not to build frames. He returned the money. This is NOT anything like some other cases we all have heard of.

I would guess that if a customer still wanted a frame, he might get moved up on the list a bit. I can not say that for sure, because I have no idea, but it would seem reasonable. At least to me.

In life, sometimes things happen, some good, some not so good. All you can do is try to make things right. Mr Steelman appears to have tried to do that.

Personally, I wish Mr Steelman well and hope he makes 1,000's of more frames. Mainly because I like the few I have seen.

I don't see a problem at all.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM

e-richie, depending on the civility of the discourse, i don't think it matters whether one has skin in the game or not in terms of evaluating various opinions. for example, there was (or is) one guy here & also (if i recall correctly) on vsalon that had such a hard-on for complaining about your wait list that he took pains to disparage you at every opportunity. clowns like that are easy to filter.

you & someone like kirk, for example, have been around for years and set the bar in terms of professionalism. that's a fairly easy filtering process for a buyer who's reasonably knowledgeable with a custom bike buying decision.

for other newer builders with a high self-developed "cool" factor and well-crafted p.r., well, that's a much harder filtering process. especially if complaints are squashed or go unsaid (some customers simply don't want to air the dirty laundry). i have a few friends who fall into the latter bucket, with frame delivery delays from 1-3+ years since originally promised, and nothing but headaches along the way. that taints my own filtering process for steel, which will likely be my next bike.

am hoping instead to find something exquisite but used and that fits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
Re Brent and this thread - were any of you in the queue, or have skin in the game?
Or are your opinions based on this simply being a popular type of thread that relates
to something you know about from a distance but have no real connection to? Who
here is directly affected by this?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Well, If you have to hang your hat on a single post, this one would be a good example. nicely done.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo
This notion that, because a guy steps outside of a circle, takes some time off, then steps back in re-energized, and that this reflects poorly on his character or his product, is insane-speak.....

The notion that the notion can't be spoken of on a public cycling forum in insane-speak.

I suspect everyone here wishes him well, but that doesn't mean every single post about the subject has to be rainbows and butterflies.

I agree that as long as deposits were returned it's no harm, no foul.

However, the discussion is fair game.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:

i have been in that dark space too
i could not work either
i have even more respect for you than before
i know you and your work are much loved in the cycling community
i hope you can move from the shadows into the light
i wish you the best
cheers

Last edited by Fixed; 03-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

i don't know you, but i'm wishing you the best Brent.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Gray
The notion that the notion can't be spoken of on a public cycling forum in insane-speak.

I suspect everyone here wishes him well, but that doesn't mean every single post about the subject has to be rainbows and butterflies.

I agree that as long as deposits were returned it's no harm, no foul.

However, the discussion is fair game.
Fair game? To anyone who's suffered with fighting depression it's no game, it is a debilitating disease and can be life threatening. To anyone who hasn't had/doesn't have business with Mr. Steelman a smarmy discussion of his reality, in public, is gratuitous and coarse; to engage in it is nothing more than voyeuristic gossip and demonstrates a lack of respect for basic human dignity.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Back At It!

Brent,
glad to hear you are in a better place, that's all that really matters at the end of the day... that you are building again is just icing on the cake...

I briefly had one of your frame/forks and it was a beauty to see and the ride was great, just a little long for me (bought it used)...

I wouldn't hesitate getting in line for another Steelman made just for me...

Keep on Brother!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion
Fair game? To anyone who's suffered with fighting depression it's no game, it is a debilitating disease and can be life threatening. To anyone who hasn't had/doesn't have business with Mr. Steelman a smarmy discussion of his reality, in public, is gratuitous and coarse; to engage in it is nothing more than voyeuristic gossip and demonstrates a lack of respect for basic human dignity.
This is a BIKE FORUM...BIKES are discussed.....BUILDERS are discussed.

"Do the bikes get there when there supposed to?"

"Why don't they?"

"Hey, that guy has re-opened for business...what's going to be different moving forward?" (Seems pretty fair to me)

You speak like people wish the guy ill will and that they're selfless bastards to even talk about the past.

Bottom line is that he will sink or swim. People want to see him swim...but talking about whether the business may or may not be viable or whether you're going to be the first in line is fair game.

You're suffering from Myopia if you don't think all but his close friends and fans aren't asking those questions.....his purchasing demographic is this board and others like it....whether you like it or not.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Respect.