Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Storing tubeless tires

Since I got a tubeless floor pump with an air chamber (seriously life changingly awesome) I find I'm swapping out my tubeless setups much more frequently depending on what ride I'm doing next.

The actual swapping is dead easy, but storing is kind of a pain. If it's not going to be long I'll just leave the sealant sitting at the bottom of the tire, otherwise will pour back into the container. However, it doesn't all end up back in and there's usually a pool that dries out at the bottom which I need to peel after a couple weeks.

Any pro tips for how you guys deal with tubeless tires when they're not on your bike?

Loving tubeless big time. Any hassle factor pales in comparison to swapping tubes all the time. I have had zero flats on my tubeless setups and last winter with all the snow and junk on the road, I lost about 20 tubes Nov-May.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 AM

I use a small plastic syringe to remove the liquid sealant and put it in the new tires.

It's easier to wipe the excess out right then. But, on some tires (Compass EL) I found that if I cleaned the inside it too well it just meant it took more sealant to make that sealant "film" again. So, I pull off any sizeable sealant boogers and make sure the bead is clean. That's about it.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Any hassle factor pales in comparison to swapping tubes all the time.
I have been avoiding tubeless and using tubes instead on a bike that has tire swaps, only because it seems like such a pain to switch tubeless tires due to sealant. Sounds like it’s really not a problem! Do you feel like you go through a lot of sealant? That can be costly...but so can tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I use a small plastic syringe to remove the liquid sealant and put it in the new tires.
Do you feel like that does the trick for a while? Or does it only work once or twice then the sealant is too old/dirty, too thinned out, not enough left, etc.?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

It's easier to wipe the excess out right then. But, on some tires (Compass EL) I found that if I cleaned the inside it too well it just meant it took more sealant to make that sealant "film" again. So, I pull off any sizeable sealant boogers and make sure the bead is clean. That's about it.

Syringe! Genius. This is awesome advice thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
Do you feel like that does the trick for a while? Or does it only work once or twice then the sealant is too old/dirty, too thinned out, not enough left, etc.?
Well, I always need to add some at some point as I don't change tires all that often, so I don't feel like I'm recycling the stuff all that much. I'm not really interested in doing a scientific comparison of tube cost versus Orange Seal Endurance sealant, but I certainly don't feel like I'm spending more with the latter.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Storing tubeless tires

I immediately rinse off the old tire with the garden hose to remove any remaining liquid sealant (and dirt) before it dries on. I then hang the tire to dry so it stores clean and ready for re-use. There is always a little dried film of sealant on that old tire but it is minimal. I peel out only the chunkier parts.

If there is a lot of liquid sealant in the old tire I pour it into the next tire, but I always need to top that off with some fresh sealant.

The syringe idea is brilliant.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 10-21-2017 at 06:46 AM.