Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Wheel Dish moves when I sit on the bike...???

Here's one for you wheel builders out there. I had been planning to bring my rear wheel to the shop when the riding season was over but the rubbing on my brakes was driving me nuts so I opted to fix some lateral movement myself. Took me a while but with some care and small adjustments I eventually got it pretty true. I then adjusted the brake caliper orientation such that the wheel sat right in the middle. I then patted myself on the back for a job well done.

I then sat on the bike and rode it briefly around the living room: constant rubbing from rear pad. I applied the brakes and noticed that the brake was pushing wheel to one side. I got off the bike and applied the brakes, they were now exactly centered...no rubbing.

So, long story made short, when I sit on the bike the wheel moves to the left about 2-3mm. I was tempted to simply go around the wheel and tighten all the spokes on the opposite side by 1/12 of a turn but figured I'd turn to this knowledgeable crew first...

Any tips?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Maybe its an axle or bearing issue vs truing or dishnissue.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:25 PM

Good one. Just checked, axle is tight. No lateral movement.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Doubt the dish is changing but something is causing wheel to shift in frame. Dropouts, axle, frame, something but I doubt the dish is changing with your weight and changing again when you get off bike. Is the wheel staying the same or moving using the distance from the chain or seat stays as a guide? Maybe it’s sonehow the brake caliper.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
My axle was tight and same thing was happening to me. Turns out, when i took it to the mechanic, it was split in half
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Oh man that better not be the case it's a relatively new powertap hub! I will take a closer look.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Oh man that better not be the case it's a relatively new powertap hub! I will take a closer look.
Yeah, the hub with the split axle was 25 years old so hopefully that's not it!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM
ergottWheels

If it's only 24 spokes and they are light gauge like CX-Ray it's definitely possible. Especially of rider is not that light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
If it's only 24 spokes and they are light gauge like CX-Ray it's definitely possible. Especially of rider is not that light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I donno, the spokes on the right would have to be way, WAY under-tensioned for the wheel to move 2-3mm to the left with the guy just sitting on the bike..or the rim is way, way light or the guy is way, way heavy...

Interested in the problem and solution.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 AM

The plot thickens...I had to put the wheels on my older steel bike because my newer frame is getting replaced under warranty. I checked for movement when wheels are installed on frame #2...zero movement. Very interesting. Sure am glad I didn't dick around with spoke tension!!!

I'm hoping to get the replacement frame in today from shop. It will be very interesting if there is no movement on the replacement frame either...Stand by.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 AM

If the wheel was sort of ok dished in the truing stand, axles are ok then probably you have an issue with the drop outs, some bikes at the time to tight the quick release have the RD hanger twisted and that moves the wheel axle up or down a little causing the problem you mention.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Skewer is nice and tight and sits square in the dropouts?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 AM

So plot thickens, again.

Just got my warranty replacement Look 675 frame all decked out last night and took it for a spin this morning. I then remembered to check to see if the same thing was happening. I'll be damned, the wheel shifts to one side again. for reference, I'm 163lbs so it's not like I'm breaking the bank or anything.

This makes no sense. Brand new frame, relatively stiff. Dura-ace skewers put on good and tight. Wheel is straight and was only build last season (by a decent wheelbuilder). The hub is a Powertap G3 for whatever that's worth.

I think I'm gonna cave and bring this thing in if anything to satisfy my curiosity!

Update: Headed to the bike store between meetings. The owner is strongly suggesting that it's the wheel. More specifically he's suggesting that they used the wrong length of spoke on one side when they build up the wheel making it vey difficult to get equal (and strong) pull from both sides. Also, he says he's not a big fan of the blade spoke as they just don't provide enough rigidity. Nor did he like the alloy nipples - said I should replace those with brass. Thing is, I think he's right. There have been a few symptoms that the wheel could be more rigid... Change those up, he says, and that wheel will be bullet proof...

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Pierre; 10-31-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

hmmm, bladed spokes is not the problem and they provide plenty of rigidity so its not the spokes. Also you are relatively light so it is not your weight thats causing this I don't think, unless the wheel has like 16 spokes. Its a bit strange though that it does not happen on one bike but happens on the other. How are you seeing the wheel move when you sit on it? Just because it hits the brake pads? Could it be that the brake is not tight and its moving?

To which side does the wheel go to?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The owner is strongly suggesting that it's the wheel. More specifically he's suggesting that they used the wrong length of spoke on one side when they build up the wheel making it vey difficult to get equal (and strong) pull from both sides. Also, he says he's not a big fan of the blade spoke as they just don't provide enough rigidity. Nor did he like the alloy nipples - said I should replace those with brass. Thing is, I think he's right. There have been a few symptoms that the wheel could be more rigid... Change those up, he says, and that wheel will be bullet proof...

What do you guys think?
the owner is a quack.

so much wrong with this statement.

find a real mechanic that can check the tension of the spokes and make an actual assessment of the problem. bladed spokes and aluminum nipples are perfectly fine. they either work, or they break.

could be a broken axle.

could definitely be that the axle is not sitting "home" in both dropouts and the wheel shifts slightly when you apply weight.