Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 AM
You still here?

Mexican spec cars can be significantly different than US spec cars and if so, would be difficult/expensive or impossible to import.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM

isn't there a 20? 25? year waiting period to import non-us spec autos?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
isn't there a 20? 25? year waiting period to import non-us spec autos?
It's called Extreme Vetting....
Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Finally got my 2013 JSW TDI returned to the mothership at 6PM tonight. Minor hiccup in that I did not have the paper POA on me. Luckily, the dealer is less than 3 miles from home, and I was quickly able to put my hands on it and return.

Return agent indicated we should expect an email from Chase between 8 and 9 PM tomorrow, and if we quickly turn that around, payment should hit our account before close of business day on Thursday. There is also an extra payment that will have to be kicked back from VW Credit, and he said that will take about 3 weeks.

After asking, the return guy indicated he was not to promote VW products in any way, other than directing a returnee to the dealership if an inquiry is made. Despite walking past three otherwise unoccupied salespeople, no further approach was made after I asked for the agent. A bit surreal.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 AM

transmissions

I decided to give the GSW some time in Sport mode. Interesting to do some driving in that mode. Pretty much eliminates the turbo lag when starting from a dead stop and then keeps the revs higher for bit, then tapers off when cruising. Makes the car feel more responsive for sure.

Wonder what it does to fuel economy.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I need to try riding in another gti. My MK6 is pretty quiet. I speculate the previous owner unplugged or removed mine. My car seems much quieter inside than the videos I've heard.
On the Mk7 at least, it is user adjustable through the center display. There isn't an option to turn it off completely, but you can vary the amount of synthetic cabin noise. I don't mind it too much. The low setting isn't intrusive.

Many of the folks in the Mk7 R community disconnect it all together, get rid of the exhaust resonator, and code the flaps to stay open all the time to get a more "natural" aggressive sound - however those folks also tend to complain about the drone associated with that setup during normal driving. Some more turbo noise from the stock 18-ish PSI of boost would be nice! Can't hear it at all unless the windows are down.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
On the Mk7 at least, it is user adjustable through the center display. There isn't an option to turn it off completely, but you can vary the amount of synthetic cabin noise. I don't mind it too much. The low setting isn't intrusive.

Many of the folks in the Mk7 R community disconnect it all together, get rid of the exhaust resonator, and code the flaps to stay open all the time to get a more "natural" aggressive sound - however those folks also tend to complain about the drone associated with that setup during normal driving. Some more turbo noise from the stock 18-ish PSI of boost would be nice! Can't hear it at all unless the windows are down.
The Soundaktor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor) can be adjusted via VCDS or OBDEleven. Setting can be adjusted anywhere between 0-100 so you can turn it off without having to physically unplug it or remove it.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
The Soundaktor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor) can be adjusted via VCDS or OBDEleven. Setting can be adjusted anywhere between 0-100 so you can turn it off without having to physically unplug it or remove it.
Correct, I meant for a non-VDCS (read: free) option.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Interesting. I never noticed it on the center display of my mk6 but it's good to know there may be a software solution. I need to get my keyfob window control back anyway...
Old 03-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Time & Bikes

Well, it looks like anyone who is selling back their car to VW - and others too - will also get that separate payment up to $350 from Bosch.

You likely got an email from Bosch today.

And you can see more here:
https://www.boschvwsettlement.com/Home/Faq
Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Well, it looks like anyone who is selling back their car to VW - and others too - will also get that separate payment up to $350 from Bosch.

I did not get that e-mail. Huh.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Interesting idea. Here's a Ciudad Juarez dealer. http://www.vw-eurovehiculos.com.mx/m/

No Sportwagen. I wonder what the customs duties would cost. I imagine it would be significant for an individual whereas NAFTA (for the moment) eliminates import duties as long as finished products satisfy "rules of origin" regulations (i.e., that a certain percentage of component parts were made in NAFTA countries -- the percentage varies by the finished product). I'm sure cars are built to qualify.
If you intend to keep the car in the US for over a year, the bond you have to post upon import to guarantee that you federalize the car is equal to the value of the car. It's the same process that the few who brought Skylines etc.. in from Japan had to go through. As is, those cars are not U.S. legal. I live at the border, and although you see some cool stuff especially diesels and utes on the other side, it generally does not cross to stay. Residents can sometimes drive them up here but importation for permanent use is more difficult.

When I was a lawyer at US Customs, a guy who imported a non-federalized Ferrari under bond took it out of the bonded warehouse for a spin and got caught. He forfeited the vehicle and his bond.

As such we don't see Pajeros and HiLux etc... up here with California plates.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:05 PM

Nor I (unless it went to Ellen). Turned ours in on Mar 1. Ellen just bought a GSW today, which will get delivered tomorrow. Given my crash on the 28th and surgery late on the 1st, she had to scramble to get a power of attorney, as there was no way I was going to make it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:07 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post

When will I receive my payment?
If you have already filed a 2.0-liter or 3.0-liter claim that was approved in the 2.0-liter or 3.0-liter VW Settlements, you will automatically receive a payment from the Bosch Settlement once the Settlement is approved (if you do not request exclusion). The earliest this could take place is shortly after May 11, 2017.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 PM

So, we should look for an email from Bosch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
autoscam, boring threads