Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 08:53 PM
ZhugeLiang

OT: How to take AMAZING pictures with cellphone cameras

I used to be involved in photography - landscape, college newspaper staff photographer, bridal studio assistant. photojournalism major etc. It's safe to say that I know more than the average person. However, I have gotten really rusty over the years in part because of the lack of practice, but more importantly, I have lost the interest or the passion. The last time I took photography seriously was with an SLR. Even though I do have a digital Sony SLR, I hardly ever use it. In short, I am way behind in the digital age.

Today, I just "upgraded" our family cell phones to iPhone 7 and iPhone 7+.
I have seen some of the amazing pictures posted by folks here. What's even more amazing to me is when they disclosed that those pictures were taken with a cellphone. I was completely dumbfounded in some occasions and have no idea how that's even possible without some extensive post-production manipulations based on my prior experience or knowledge.

Now, having said that, I would like to learn from some of my pals here how they managed to get the kind of pictures that they did. So, if you don't mind, please share some of your secrets.

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Download the Snapseed app.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:57 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Download the Snapseed app.
On it now...
Old 10-23-2017, 12:34 AM

Samsung camera way better than our 7’s unfortunately
Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Samsung camera way better than our 7’s unfortunately
I am looking up on the Return Policy now...
Old 10-23-2017, 05:07 AM
ergottWheels

Work within the limitations of the platform. You get gobs of depth of field with tiny sensor. Great for landscapes and macro-like shots. I rarely do portraits with my camera, but when I do it's great to have that previously mentions dof and get context rather than isolation. The new portrait mode in phones is an artificial treatment that still can get fooled by the background. It's not a substitute for shallow dof.

My Samsungs have built in HDR processing and I use it for almost every shot. Check settings for "tap screen" to focus. Helps camera figure out what you are doing quicker.

Other than that, the usual taking time for good composition still applies. When my friends hand me their phone they notice the difference. Most people are only a couple footsteps from getting a great pic.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Work within the limitations of the platform. You get gobs of depth of field with tiny sensor. Great for landscapes and macro-like shots. I rarely do portraits with my camera, but when I do it's great to have that previously mentions dof and get context rather than isolation. The new portrait mode in phones is an artificial treatment that still can get fooled by the background. It's not a substitute for shallow dof.

My Samsungs have built in HDR processing and I use it for almost every shot. Check settings for "tap screen" to focus. Helps camera figure out what you are doing quicker.

Other than that, the usual taking time for good composition still applies. When my friends hand me their phone they notice the difference. Most people are only a couple footsteps from getting a great pic.
yup, as you know then, its good eyes that take good pics, cameras are actually all pretty good these days. then some dudes edit after the fact to help out lighting and color saturation, etc.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I am looking up on the Return Policy now...
Guy that did my bike fits was/is a professional Photographer...own dark room, still does some non digital BUT..he's also quite active on ebay and all his pix are with a iphone6..not even a 7 and his pix are amazing!!....so before you start returning, etc..'way better'...?? I think for most, we don't scratch the complete capabilities of anu cell phone camera..Anybody want to buy a Canon G12? Haven't used it in years..Iphone6+
Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 AM

Most phone cameras in the past few years will take very good quality pics as long as the light is good. I like to shoot in RAW on my phone to get the most out of the camera. These pics were all taken in RAW with the iPhone.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 AM

I've often wondered this same thing. I didn't know you could shoot raw images on a Iphone! Any other tips are appreciated, especially as I'm coming from a non-photography background.

gospastic, those images are awesome! Did you do any processing on them, or or those the raw images?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Picshooter

Sorry Weisan.....Slight thread drift. About 10 years ago after retiring from photography, I ran into the former regional manager of a photo chain. I knew the chain was long gone and asked what effect digital camera's had in their demise. He was quick to point out that it wasn't the digital camera, but the cell phone.

My grand daughter is taking a photography class in H.S. When I asked what camera she was going to use she replied they all use their phones. How times have changed.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Those are all processed to varying degrees. I’m a big fan of Lightroom. I’ve used a few other apps but keep going back to it.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM
slower than you

I'm a recently retired photo retoucher, so, I guess you can say I know digital. Sorry, but, I still can't take phones seriously as cameras, even if they are pretty awesome, because they're so damn hard to use. I don't know about you, but, in any kind of bright light, I can't see s**t on that screen, and, sorry II, you cannot be serious with any phone camera lens, especially since, 99% of the time, it's covered in all sorts of fingerprint grime and stuff. They're great for snaps, certainly handy and convenient, and they've killed the point and shoot market, but, they'll always have limitations.
I'm liking the smaller mirrorless cameras that Japan is releasing these days. I have a Fuji Xe1 that fits in a small fanny pack I bought for it for rides (with a fixed 28mm pancake lens), but that thing is starting to show its age. Sony makes some excellent small cameras with 24 megapixel sensors and zoom lenses that are very portable.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Imshi Cycles

As a photographer and professional photo retoucher...I have been a proponent of cell phones as cameras for as long as I can remember, based primarily on the basis of "best camera is the one you have with you" mentality.

As much as people make a big deal about megapixels and whatever other whiz-bang killer feature of the year might be...photography, at its core, is about MOMENTS. Which can be captured by any capable camera. The easier the camera is to use, the more likely you are to capture that moment you see in front of you...which is the true brilliance of the phone-camera, they are (for the most part) very very quick (or at least as quick as you are) in the from-pocket-to-photo time trial.

I even went so far as to shoot one of my weekly projects in a senior level college photo class (like 10 years ago) with an iphone 3g...i converted all the images to BW, cropped to 2:3, and NOBODY noticed.

These days, most phones have cameras that are more than enough for 95% of the population (considering most photos will never be viewed on anything other than screens) and for that other 5%, there are a number of high-end phones (apple, google, samsung) with truly impressive cameras worthy of your time/pocket.

Just remember to keep your lens smudge free!
Seriously, it makes an ENORMOUS difference.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 AM

apologize for dumb question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN;2251

[B
Just remember to keep your lens smudge free! [/B]
Seriously, it makes an ENORMOUS difference.
how do you do that, and since i haven't managed it, what is best/safe way to clean. is a kleenex ok?
jim