Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2023, 02:47 PM
Kind of OK

SRAM 12 speed compatibility?

I just bought a SRAM 12sp group. What cassettes (Shimano) are compatible. Also, can I use SRAM 11sp chainrings?
Old 04-23-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I just bought a SRAM 12sp group. What cassettes (Shimano) are compatible. Also, can I use SRAM 11sp chainrings?
Answers are
-shimano 12s cassettes are hit and miss, YMMV
-sram 11s chainrings are the same as above. Some say they work, others say the shifting is subpar. 11s narrow wide 1x chainrings might be too wide for the thinner flat top chain.

Lots of info out there if you google
Old 04-23-2023, 03:11 PM

I'm assuming it's a road group, but if it's a 12sp Eagle MTB groupset, most folks have had good experiences mixing and matching Shimano cassettes and chainrings to the SRAM rear mech.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:22 PM

I've been a Shimano guy forever. Only ran Shimano across my stable of bikes. AXS finally seduced me. I felt Shimano was still behind with their second-gen stuff.

But damn, the stuff today is complicated today. It used to be everything by a manufacturer was compatible with each other - the main difference was weight, finite quality, and serviceability.

Now it's... does this cassette work with this derailleur and this combination of chainrings. And don't even get me started on bottom brackets and spindle length (dub or dub wide ***?)!

And, hey, you kids, get off my lawn.

Kisses,

Oldfatslow

PS -- I will post pics of my AXS-equipped whip when I'm down with my build later this week. Waiting on Chat-GPT v9.0 to arrive at the perfect combination of AXS cost, weight, serviceability, and compatibility with my 7 year old Ti gravel rig).

Last edited by oldfatslow; 04-23-2023 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:26 PM
Kind of OK

Yeah, road group. Do I HAVE to run the flat top chain? I have a Force AXS group and DT 350 hubs.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:01 PM

Why do you want to use a Shimano cassette?

Clearly the best answer is to use all Sram 12 speed parts, including the flat top chain. Anything else is likely to be sub par.

If you do want to use Shimano, I would use Shimano cassette, chain, and Shimano compatible chainrings.

Lots of people share their experience here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...speed+cassette
Old 04-23-2023, 04:13 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Why do you want to use a Shimano cassette?
... Because I cannot hardly find a SRAM cassette under $150.... and I'd like to use a standard DT freehub.

Last edited by Lewis Moon; 04-23-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:44 PM

A shimano 12 cassette with shimano 12 chain and 11 speed crank should all work relatively well together. I've tried a shimano 12 chain with my grx 11 speed cranks, axs derailleurs and cassette. Chain ring shifting was fine, but the shimano chain didn't work well with the cassette, so I use the flat top chain. No problems at all.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:01 PM

I have Red AXS 12 and the front derailleur has been the biggest challenge. There is an install kit with wedges sold by SRAM that is out of stock. The torque produced by the FD can cause it to rotate and make the chain rub on the smallest cogs while in the big ring. I use a torque wrench and the bolt is tight. I even put some assembly paste on the interface between the FD and braze-on. Otherwise, I'm digging the AXS which I have left on the factory setup.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I have Red AXS 12 and the front derailleur has been the biggest challenge. There is an install kit with wedges sold by SRAM that is out of stock. The torque produced by the FD can cause it to rotate and make the chain rub on the smallest cogs while in the big ring. I use a torque wrench and the bolt is tight. I even put some assembly paste on the interface between the FD and braze-on. Otherwise, I'm digging the AXS which I have left on the factory setup.
Dave above is a magician with AXS, but for us mere plebes get this tool. It solved all of my issues as it allows the FD to stay in the correct/exact position as you torque down all the bolts and wedges.
https://youtu.be/KcJIb1pCV8I
Old 04-23-2023, 06:27 PM
Kind of OK

I think I'll go wall to wall sram to be sure. Thanks all.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:46 AM

SRAM's plastic tool will set the height, if a SRAM cranks is used, but it won't stop the FD from rotating out of alignment when the clamp bolt is tightened. Always recheck that the alignment marks are parallel to the big ring, after the clamp bolt is tightened. Mine never would be unless I set the marks crooked to start with, then let the rotation bring the marks into a parallel position.

The plastic tool doesn't fit my GRX cranks, so I do it all by eye. I never use a wedge either.

Tags
axs compatibility