Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 10:00 AM

I think I have to go for the eeBrakes, have a friend who is giving me a deal too hard to pass up and I don't like the look of SRAM Red + Dura-Ace brakes (I'm a Shimano person normally).

Last edited by ocslick; 03-19-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:05 AM

I swapped out a pair of new Sram Red Aerolink with some EEs I bought on sale long ago (for a bike I sold). I think the EEs modulated better, i.e. I could better control the amount of braking force. I felt more confident braking on wet roads because of that — less worry about locking a wheel. But the Srams did seem to feel more powerful, i.e. it took less squeezing effort to produce the same braking force. The difference isn’t huge, however, and I wonder if I did a double blind test whether I’d really be able to tell the difference.

EDIT to above para: I had a brain fart — the brakes I replaced with EEs were Dura Ace, not Srams (which were on a different bike).

And of course I recall the EEs weigh half as much.

I don’t really like the look of EEs, fwiw.

Last edited by professerr; 03-20-2024 at 08:57 AM. Reason: brain fart
Old 03-19-2024, 05:01 PM

If steampunk is a priority, go EE.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:50 PM

To be honest

No
Old 03-20-2024, 12:48 AM

If you have to ask, no. If you want better braking, get disc. If you're a weightweenie, running tubies, then ok get them.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
If you have to ask, no. If you want better braking, get disc. If you're a weightweenie, running tubies, then ok get them.
Expensive as EE brakes are, they are still way cheaper that converting to disc brakes (which requires new frame, fork, wheels, brakes, and brifters - on a practical level, completely different bike).
Old 03-20-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Classic paceline reply that brings no real substance to the original question. Especially when it has to do with lightweight components.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Expensive as EE brakes are, they are still way cheaper that converting to disc brakes (which requires new frame, fork, wheels, brakes, and brifters - on a practical level, completely different bike).
Just for a marginal improvement in wet weather braking situations.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM

I have Campagnolo Record 12 on one bike and the latest EE's on another and the Campagnolo work a bit better. The EE's look cooler though.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Classic paceline reply that brings no real substance to the original question. Especially when it has to do with lightweight components.
Wow. Really? It seems to directly answer the question! A bit tough and cheek, but yes, if you have to ask, the answer should always be No! These are expensive and as many have said, not really necessary. And a classic paceline reply would to go with rim brakes, and die on that hill! I said if you really want better braking go with disc! How is that a bad advice.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:58 PM

The main trade off for eebrakes seems to be cost - if that is not a showstopper, and you like the looks, then go for them. You won’t loose braking power or modulation like other light weight rim brakes (I had the Planet X cnc calipers that were scary bad/flexy on steep descents).
Old 03-21-2024, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post

I'll take 'classic paceline' over your pointless BikeForums-style whinging.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:57 AM

i run both sram red (new gen) and ee, and both stop excellent.

and ee's occasionally fall out of center alignment just as much as any other brake. rare for me, but it happens. not sure what bad stuff you're reading about 'em but i have them and use them and no issues worth fretting over. it's a 5 second adjust every several months or so.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:02 AM

I've never used EEbrakes, but I think they look really cool on a bike. I used to see them on bikes out on 9W occasionally when I lived in NYC. Matchy-matchy anodizing can make a bike look pretty nifty. Plus coffee shop points, so there's that too.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:44 PM

Switched from Super Record to eeBRakes.
I am a huge sucker for their special edition El Platino and found here on PL a kind soul selling them.
They are gorgeous. If you into something aesthetically unique there is nothing comparable in the market.

But there are two aspects here I'd want to highlight:

1. Installation: installing them ain't as easy as Campy or the other fishing rods maker's calipers. Particularly on the rear brake, cutting the hose to size is as finicky as important in the overall feel.

2. Tune up: after install you think you are done, but you still have to get brake shoes toe angle right. An aggressive toe angle, particularly if you use grippy pads such as the Campy red ones for carbon rims.
After that, centering and spacing pads from rims is really a piece of cake, easier than the other two.

Bottomline, I'd do the switch over and over again. Once tuned, they are a joy to ride (and look at).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5756.jpg (83.4 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by NoMoreParagon; 03-26-2024 at 11:46 PM.