Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 10:09 AM

“Outside” Magazine thinks the “Bike Boom” may be here to stay. I have my doubts.

https://www.outsideonline.com/242013...gear_fix#close

Interesting read. I hope the premise is correct. But as a long-time personal trainer, I have my doubts. In my experience, people who undertake a particular regimen (running, cross-fit, cycling etc...) that’s tied to a particular fitness goal (usually losing fat) rarely succeed. The motivation waxes and wanes.

There’s no mechanism for gauging whether the uptick in people buying new bikes fell in love with the sport, which is ultimately what’s sustainable. Put another way, enjoying biking for how you feel, rather than how you look. is the determining factor for longevity.

The one aspect of cycling that probably is sustainable is for utilitarian purposes, such as commuting.

Blair Clark, president of Canyon’s U.S. division, thinks the surge is durable. “Two big trends we see are people who either returned to the sport or discovered it for the first time and are really falling in love with it, paired with a constantly growing adoption of the bicycle as transportation,” he says. Americans, he adds, “are finally waking up to the transformative power of bikes for transportation, not just recreation.”

Indeed, Sorensen says that utility bikes may see sustained growth. As workers return to offices, they may still feel most comfortable with socially distant commutes rather than public transit. In general, he expects more add-on sales from those new riders. “How big, I don’t know,” he says. “But I don’t think it’s going to go back below where it was in 2020.”

I certainly hope I’m wrong, and the trend continues. The more cyclists, the better.

Other (particularly) in the industry, have any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM
cmg

the current bike boom will wane just like those who took up the sport because of Armstrong's success. I suspect those that took it up during that decade have gone back to what ever recreation they were doing prior. Happened to the clubs i rode with. also c19 killed charity rides .
Old 01-19-2021, 10:16 AM

If people are buying them to lose weight and they don't actually enjoy riding their bike then they won't lose weight.

But there will be a subset of newcomers who will legitimately love riding a bike and catch the spark. If they really get hooked and have excess weight they will likely lose it if they're hooked for the long term.

It's really hard to get passionate about riding and not end up lean in the long run.

Honestly it sounds bad but I almost want a lot of the new crowd of MTB & hikers to get bored as covid goes away. The trail systems here literally cannot handle the load of people that are on them now, and the covid newcomers have zero trail etiquette. My local trails they're removing all kinds of stuff from the trails, dropping litter everywhere, widening every trail almost into double track, and cutting new trails like crazy.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:20 AM

In earlier times, a large number of people had bikes when they were kids. It was just part of normal lief that when they "grew up", they'd put aside childish things (bikes) and become adults (and drive a car).

These days, fewer children have bikes when they are kids. Also, young people today are less likely to be interested in cars. So just maybe, people really are just now discovering the joy of cycling (because they didn't bike as kids), and have less motivation to "put aside childish things" (because driving has less appeal).
Old 01-19-2021, 10:22 AM

Have to be honest for the amount of bikes being sold apparently... havent seen that many people riding them. Many are in trainers tho.

I do not think the bike boom is here to stay, same happened back in the 80s
Old 01-19-2021, 10:28 AM

hopefully not. getting tired of these dumb and dangerous idiots clogging the road and trail. get off my lawn
Old 01-19-2021, 10:29 AM

won't last
Old 01-19-2021, 10:31 AM

People will go back to commuting into the office soon enough. Then that 1000 calorie deli sandwich is going to be awesome. Then the commute back home.....and onto the couch for the early evening nap. Twenty pounds later that hill is going to really suck. Bike for sale.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
People will go back to commuting into the office soon enough. Then that 1000 calorie deli sandwich is going to be awesome. Then the commute back home.....and onto the couch for the early evening nap. Twenty pounds later that hill is going to really suck. Bike for sale.
Those were exactly my thoughts. As a seller, I think the time to sell is within the next few months. As a buyer, I’d wait until mid (or late) Summer.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:42 AM

It looks like Rollerblades missed an opportunity window to become relevant again..... oh wait, were they ever relevant.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:48 AM

A question I have is what will happen to all the Peloton bikes if gyms and studios like SoulCycles and Flywheel ever offer group spin classes again.

My guess:

Old 01-19-2021, 10:50 AM

e-bikes is the next "need to have, making old bikes unusable". Will it be like mopeds of the mid 70's (here is states) or permanent like "needed" disks, will be the big question.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
A question I have is what will happen to all the Peloton bikes if gyms and studios like SoulCycles and Flywheel ever offer group spin classes again.

My guess:

Maybe but I think the appeal of Peloton for many is that they don't need to go to a gym.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:00 AM

I hope it sticks personally but this season will be tough given supply issues. Getting your old bike ( if you have one) fixed up because you can't get a new one is a downer for a lot of people.

Commuters and bike share will probably see an uptick for those not wanting to ride public trans.

Short distance bike travel and bike camping might see more interest though it was already becoming a bit more popular. Hiking and outdoor running saw an increase as did camping as recreation and a safer vacation. REI and others saw a big increase.

A vaccine and gyms opening up will knock out a percentage who rode bikes this season and will go back to their old routine. Some will stick with it.

We will know more in a couple years.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:11 AM

Funny thing for me, 2020 was probably my worst year in the last 20.. I only rode about 1300 miles.

I have some kind of high hamstring strain or tendon issue and biking is far and away the #1 thing that aggravates it... I should have gone to the doctor over it but didn't cause of the pandemic. Not biking like I usually do makes it nearly an invisible problem, but it comes back if I start ramping up my biking.

It's not going to change anytime soon cause the priority needs to be rehabbing it which is definitely not going to happen sitting on a bike.

And I am dying to go back to the rock climbing gym... as soon as I get the vaccine and a few weeks for it to start working I'm heading back there. That's been the first thing in many years that's fun enough to keep me off my bike.