Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Garmin warranty

I bought a Garmin Edge back in December 2010.
With very little use (set-up, one walking trip, two car trips, and four bike rides) the unit would not upload to Garmin Connect. CS replaced the unit with a "refurbished" device.

Their warranty rights allow them to "... repair or replace (with a new or newly-overhauled replacement product)...".
To me, it seems a tad cheap to replace a three month old malfuntioning device with a refurbished unit as opposedd to a new unit.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm on my third 305 Edge and don't worry too much whether it's new or refurbished since they continue to replace the units it they malfunction.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 AM

I don't have any comment about the policy. I purchased an unused refurbished unit from a forumite that decided to purchase a model 705 after he sent his unit for refurbishment. It has performed flawlessly for a year. The battery lasted 12 hours on the Ride Across Indiana in July heat. I had been searching for a refurbished model to purchase but had not been able to catch them when they were available so I was glad for the opportunity.

The only problem I have had with uploading is solved by following their error message and deleting web browser temporary files prior to the upload procedure. Yesterday I performed the first upload since November and forgot to clear but it worked fine.

I do see a potential problem. When I registered the refurbished model, it allowed me to enter my information but the original registration was new was not reset. Since I purchased it used Garmin may have a policy of not covering units not held by original purchasers. I don't know as I never pursued it. However I would clarify whether the original warranty date applies to holders of refurbished units that replaced warranty claims of original purchasers. I think the warranty is extended but you better get Garmin to reset the registration or make certain you retain the paper trail to avoid future warranty claim hassles. Bobswire is probably correct about the policy but policies can change whereas written warranties cannot. I would verify that in the written warranty or have them address it in writing and not take a verbal assurance.

Last edited by dekindy; 03-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill
I bought a Garmin Edge back in December 2010.
With very little use (set-up, one walking trip, two car trips, and four bike rides) the unit would not upload to Garmin Connect. CS replaced the unit with a "refurbished" device.

Their warranty rights allow them to "... repair or replace (with a new or newly-overhauled replacement product)...".
To me, it seems a tad cheap to replace a three month old malfuntioning device with a refurbished unit as opposedd to a new unit.

Any thoughts?

There is no difference, and you wouldn't know that is a refurbished unit. Garmin has been great with repairs IME, even when units are out of warranty.