Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
Be kind and sensitive when you tell LoLo. She will be devastated!

Sandy
Go Sandy! Go Sandy!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
LibraChix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
Be kind and sensitive when you tell LoLo. She will be devastated!

Sandy
Please! Don't want to see the drama queen act again. She could take a lesson from the pipsqueak gymnasts who fall down, get up and attack again, saving the tears for the sidelines.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieKate
Please! Don't want to see the drama queen act again. She could take a lesson from the pipsqueak gymnasts who fall down, get up and attack again, saving the tears for the sidelines.
I didn't see her after the race does anyone have a link?
I like it when athletes let their emotions show.
I respect the time, sacrifices, and discipline - and it must be more than one can stand to have it all fall away in a split second.
In regards to this thread = I wonder how many guys/gals (cause ya never know) Lolo had to turn away cause she had practice and no time?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
LibraChix

There is letting your emotions show and then there is trying to hog the limelight. She collapsed onto the track, pounded it, and had some prolonged general histrionics before going off the field and starting over again next to a wall.

No recognition whatsoever of the other athletes' performances. Be a good sportsman, congratulate them and then sob into your shoes.

The 15 yr old US diver who didn't make the finals yesterday showed more dignity, even while her tears flowed on camera.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
There is letting your emotions show and then there is trying to hog the limelight. She collapsed onto the track, pounded it, and had some prolonged general histrionics before going off the field and starting over again next to a wall.

No recognition whatsoever of the other athletes' performances. Be a good sportsman, congratulate them and then sob into your shoes.

The 15 yr old US diver who didn't make the finals yesterday showed more dignity, even while her tears flowed on camera.
Sorta like Usain Bolt did when he won:

BEIJING (AP) - IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 meters.

Usain Bolt sets another world record in the 200m final. Americans Shawn Crawford and Walter Dix get silver and bronze, respectively. "That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
LibraChix

You got it. Bolt starting the celebration before he'd even crossed the line in the 100 meters and not running the fastest he possibly could for the entire 100 meters was just crass. Because of the two of them plus all the posing from many of the others, I started fast forwarding through the sprints and hurdles.

The sprint distances in T&F seem to be more into image, mind games and gold chains than the sport. I wonder if Michael Phelps would have all the sponsors if he behaved the same way.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Once again I did not see Lolo after her race.
Guess I'm of a different mind set....I like the antics of Cipo and like.
I prefer the raw to the "professional" this is competition. And some athletes need to go to different places to obtain their best performances. If they loose a little $ so what they are probably doing it for different reasons than $ anyway.
Plus don't we all like a good spectacle?
I'd probably not act like Lolo but I sure would not be perfect either.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 PM
needs adult supervision

lolo may have overdone it a bit on the track after the race, but... to go from pulling away from the field to nailing #9... well, what does a lifetime of work feel like that slipped away? i'm inclined to cut her some slack.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
JRA

The Thrill of Victory, the Agony of Defeat... I'm happy to see emotion in sport. As long as they're not yelling at their fellow competitors, I think it's great. So Bolt has some swagger--good for him! He won two gold medals, and set world records in both races. He's made the Olympics much more interesting.

And if someone wants to express frustration, that's OK with me too, as long as no one gets hurt, and it doesn't interfere with the event.

I have little interest in watching robots who are always trying to act appropriately.

Dave

P.S. How many bike racers celebrate their wins before the finish line?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
LibraChix

Not very many if a world record time is on the line. Isn't there a middle ground? I like emotion also but not grandstanding. I remember watching Alicia Sacramore fall apart after a fall. The camera showed her brooding and sobbing on the sidelines when she still had another event to go in which she fell again. Emotions are good when used at the right time.

The Olympic Oath is one of the rituals of the Olympic Games. It is taken by an athlete from the host country, on behalf of all the athletes.

"In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams".
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
aLexis

It is important to note that it was the tv cameras who chose to dwell on her after the race, she has no control over that limelight, as they were going to turn to her no matter what her actions. Her behavior did not seem to me like that of a drama queen. In her post race interview (less than 5 min after the race), she was a gracious loser and congratulated the Australian, hugging her as she passed. Her reaction after that race seemed totally appropriate for the circumstance.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
LibraChix

I didn't see that and it's nice to know but I don't see athletes in any other sport who stay on the field/court/mat/apparatus/pool/whatever sobbing when they have lost.

The world lost a lot of respect for Mary Decker when she acted very similarly. I wonder how many are cutting Jones some slack because of her appearance?

I'll agree to disagree with you.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 PM
JRA

I think I'm cutting Jones some slack because she expressed her emotions in the moment, and then later was very gracious, dignified, and thoughtful about what had happened. I've found dozens of articles praising her on the internet. Here's an editorial:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Moines Register Editorial Page
The uncertain outcome for even the world's top athletes going into the Olympics was underscored Tuesday when gymnast Shawn Johnson claimed last-chance gold on the balance beam, and Lolo Jones led in the 100-meter final - until she clipped her foot on the second-to-last hurdle and finished a heartbreaking seventh.

Both Jones, 26, a graduate of Roosevelt High in Des Moines and Louisiana State University, and Johnson, 16, a junior at Valley High School in West Des Moines, have made fans proud by conducting themselves like champions throughout their careers, no matter how they've finished in one event or another.

Jones, the current world indoor 60-meter hurdles champion, bounced around from school to school and lived for a while in a Salvation Army basement as a child. She has combined incredible determination and talent to become an international track star.

Before the balance-beam competition, Johnson's athleticism and mental toughness had earned three silver medals at the Games in Beijing - but, as the reigning world all-around champion, she was under extraordinary pressure to do even better.

So it's not hard to imagine Johnson's elation on finally winning gold, and Jones' disappointment when she didn't, although both know better than anyone that the score or time separating first from the rest often is next to nothing.

And yet it's everything in the world of elite sports, because winning is what top athletes are all about.

All Iowans should be proud that Johnson and Jones have exuded a gracious spirit, no matter what - also an amazing feat.
The L.A. Times had another story praising her class. And she went to my high school, although I graduated before she was born...

Dave
Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
I I wonder how many are cutting Jones some slack because of her appearance?
that is a rather condescending remark. i see an athlete.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
LibraChix

Hmm, didn't this thread start with watching women in bikinis in the rain?

dauwhe, thanks for the article on Lolo Jones. I will watch her with a more educated eye.