Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM
cnighbor2

Want to ride off road using Strava

Want to ride off road using Strava

Here is way to link your web rides apps together

chick on the link below to see results

Charles Nighbor
from a friend in WA
''I run Strava on my iPhone, and Relive is powered by Strava. You have to link the two accounts. I run GaiaGPS for backcountry navigation because you can download USGS topo maps to your phone and don’t need to have cellphone access. Then I download a GPX file to feed back into Strava and Relive. Since this is my primary navigation in the backcountry, I also bring a backup battery - Gaia eats battery power.

I think a really great ride would be CCC Road out to Middle Fork Campground then back on the pavement, with Bessemer as a side branch. That is what I’d intended yesterday, before I came to a stream I didn’t want to cross on my own. I do it on a full suspension mountain bike because it gets pretty rough descending Bessemer - I’m sure you could do it on a hardtail but I think this trip is best with a MTB. Prove me wrong! I’ll let you know the next time I make the attempt.

Michael F.......

WA

To: Robert Freeman
Sent: Tue, Apr 25, 2017 8:12 pm
Subject: Middle Fork Road

It’s wonderful. I love the “new" MF Road. I took my mountain bike up the middle fork today, kind of a spur of the moment thing. Made it up Bessemer to 3,000 feet before encountering snow and turning around. If I’d had my boots on, I would have summited. Then took a side trip on the far end of the CCC road. Would have crossed back to pavement but on the other end but turned back again due primarily to improper footwear. Lovely ride, and so quiet I only heard owls hooting, hummers feeding on salmonberry blossoms, and the sound of my own wheels. Almost ran into a black bear on the way down Bessmer, but he scampered into the brush after I slammed on my brakes.

https://www.relive.cc/view/958273746

Michael F.............''
Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM

What does Relive have to do with riding off road?
Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM

I ride more MTB than road and run Strava almost every time. It knows the trails and roads fine. Using a Garmin 810.

Does this give a better map display? I don't use the maps, I just ride.....

If I'm in a new area, I take paper maps. They don't need batteries.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post

If I'm in a new area, I take paper maps.
+1 for Maps. Cant even remember how many hand drawn sweaty maps I have gone through. Nothing like pulling an old map out of the bottom of my camelback. Good memories.