Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 07:02 PM

If you install classic shell you will get the windows classic menus all over the place, problem fixed in case you dont like windows 10 shell. My only drama with windows 10 are the stupidly stubborn to uninstall useless apps including the f... cortana. Just let me remove cortana and let me uninstall any useless apps windows 10 comes with and I would be using it right now. Actually I have a brand new HD with windows 10 in it since last year (or more) waiting in the shelf to be installed in the pc... someday I guess.

As for the office, open office is more than enough for me, I even still have an old copy of office 6.0 moving around that pretty much should do anything I need aswell.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Google "uninstall cortana" and choose among the solutions there. Likewise, google "uninstall Windows Photos Windows 10" or similar depending on what you want to get rid of.

It is a p.i.t.a. admittedly, but I live with Classic Shell and rarely have to deal with the fact that the underlying operating system is Windows 10 after taking the time to get rid of the crap-ware that comes with Windows 10.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:11 PM

I'm not real computer literate, so I have to check things on the internet before I do anything and it appears that Cortana while it can be removed but in windows 10 it requires an additional step of going into the registry and making some chances there, which if someone is not real computer literate like me and messes up something you could end up with unusable computer till a pro can figure it out and fix it.

Yeah I know, it seems simple to do but of course that would be in the eyes of someone who dinks around inside their computer a lot and are not intimidated by doing so. So lucky for me I have a friend who is a brilliant computer wiz so I will consult him later in the week to find out what he thinks of throwing Cortana in the trash, and using a shell.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:57 PM

Froze it depends a lot but people dont post registry fixes just to screw you up, but is a risk.

Regarding cortana, have tried to get rid off that junk in several ways because my wife and kids are using windows 10, actually I said stubborn apps because you can uninstall them or even disable them and then in a update the suckers just come back, and honesty that sucks... from what I read the reason is that after all MS is owner of the software, you have a license to use it but they are the owners and they can do whatever they want with it. So every update the cr@p apps my wife and kids do not even use comes back, honestly at this point I do not care neither they do but is annoying, no other way to describe it
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 AM
coffee consumer

went to bestbuy and picked up an open box lenovo with windows10, 1080p screen, 1tb harddrive, intel i3 processor and 4mb of ram for $250....windows 10 is a pretty stable environment. Macs are nice, but better putting that money to some more bike parts.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Froze it depends a lot but people dont post registry fixes just to screw you up, but is a risk.

Regarding cortana, have tried to get rid off that junk in several ways because my wife and kids are using windows 10, actually I said stubborn apps because you can uninstall them or even disable them and then in a update the suckers just come back, and honesty that sucks... from what I read the reason is that after all MS is owner of the software, you have a license to use it but they are the owners and they can do whatever they want with it. So every update the cr@p apps my wife and kids do not even use comes back, honestly at this point I do not care neither they do but is annoying, no other way to describe it
I wasn't implying you were trying to screw me up, or screw anyone else up, but if a mistake is made trying to change the registry, like accidently keyed a wrong letter or number of symbol, that's when the issues arise. Of course before doing any registry change you should backup the reg file, but a lot people I've talked to either didn't know how or laughed! but I've seen computers goobered up because someone changed a reg value and didn't back it up prior to the change.

Sorry if you thought I was thinking you were trying to screw my computer up, that wasn't not my intentions at all.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Froze I never thought what u think I thought Im really hard to get mad or even get offended or anything, in a matter of fact if anybody offends me 100% I will answer back with a joke about it and I will give tell the guy that he is right
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 PM

incredible amount of knowledge, opinions and options

thanks to you all for pouring your geeky hearts out, you guys are the best support system for good/bad/n+1 habits a guy could ask for

I ended up with a macbook air, refurbished to save some moola.

PCs hold a special place in my heart as I grew up manipulating and working on these machines. We had macs too, but I never learned as much on them as I did on windows based computers.

The MB air was a jump, to a totally different arena and its been working great for my needs and wants as of now.

Thanks to each and every one of you. You guys rock, seriously.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
I ended up with a macbook air,
Outstanding!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:25 PM

Nice choice!
May the force be with you.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
cnighbor2

I read

I read somewhere for new laptops they fail 20% to 40% of the time I had two that did just that
I sent two back under warranty to get fixed
That is sure some poor quality for laptops
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
I read somewhere for new laptops they fail 20% to 40% of the time I had two that did just that
I sent two back under warranty to get fixed
That is sure some poor quality for laptops
Brand?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:26 AM

they don't want things to last forever, they're gambling on hoping it makes it past the warranty. I got my HP through Costco, they have an automatic extra year of coverage for no charge.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM
It An't Me Babe

Macs are great machines. There is also not denying they are not inexpensive. But if they work well for what you need out of a computer, the cost of purchase ultimately becomes insignificant.

We are a frugal household, we don't upgrade at the drop of a hat. I bought Mrs. fuzz the 13" Space Gray MacPro to replace an ancient circa 2008 MacPro. So for somebody's birthday, they asked for a 15" MacPro which replaces a circa 2012 MacPro. I'll get the old 15" MacPro as a hand-me-down even if I don't need it. I'll probably end up using it to run SRM power meter software.

Apple is a well run company producing superior products. MicroSoft, under Satya Nadella, is also now a well run company. There is not much to dislike between the two companies, their approaches are different. Invest in AAPL and MSFT and reap the benefits of both as you cheer their success. I can assure you, if you had any snark towards either company it will magically disappear after you settle the trade.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Brand?
All of them. Over the last 10 years I've purchased 100+ laptops for small IT depts, personal, and family. My observed failure rate was < 10% though I only bought business models which are more expensive, but better designed. The failures I remember were 1 hard drive, 3 displays, 1 pinched speaker cable, 2 video cards, 1 motherboard, and 1 RAM stick with errors. Covers most major brands including Apple. It's a complicated device competing on price. Never going to escape the bathtub curve.

The failure rate on consumer grade is much higher and getting support much harder. I've occasionally had to put on my "I've trained support departments and we're going to follow your book. When we reach the point where the script says 'it's a bad motherboard' which it will, you're going to replace it. Got it?" angry hat for friends and family. Never have an issue with business support.