View Poll Results: Which rack?
full 0 0%
canti 5 31.25%
mid-fork 10 62.50%
porteur 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Which style front rack?

I am looking for the right front rack. I've pored over all the options but I can't decide, so I thought I'd check with the collective. I'm not probably doing fully loaded touring on this bike, but I want to have some flexibility. Weight is not a huge concern - I know it'll be a heavy bike. Front load capacity of the bike is supposedly 20lb. I really like Rando bags and would like to run one full time.

Full rack (Nitto, Surly, etc) - pannier ability built in, expensive, big
Canti rack (Nitto, VO) - very small, cheap, keeps fork bosses free for lowrider rack
Mid-fork rack (Nitto M1/M18) - may take some custom work, possibly sturdier, mid range cost
Porteur (VO, Pass&Stow) - huge platform, heavy, big, possible pannier capability, expensive, bags for them are ugly (IMO)

Another side question. In your experience, is a decaleur needed?

Last edited by Netdewt; 07-08-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM

I'm inexperienced but voting the mid-fork style.

Its small but still carries the bag you want. Unlike the canti rack, it will work on a future disc frame that you may want.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I'm inexperienced but voting the mid-fork style.

Its small but still carries the bag you want. Unlike the canti rack, it will work on a future disc frame that you may want.
However the canti rack keeps options open for this bike, to use low-riders.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM

I voted mid, because of you wanting to use a rando box bag all the time.

Ir it was mine, I would want a porteur type that I could use front bags on.

Like this;

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...teur-rack.html
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM

As to whether you need a decaleur: depends on the size of the bag. The small bags don't need one, the larger ones do. If you can rule out the tiny size bag based on your needs, then the size of the bag you get is largely determined by the distance between the rack and the decaleur. Mostly there isn't much adjustability in decaleurs; you have a basically fixed amount of space and you buy the bag of the right size to fill the available space.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Apropos of porteur racks: almost certainly this bike wasn't designed to use one and if you did use one you almost certainly wouldn't be happy.

It doesn't make much difference whether you mount a small rack off canti posts or off fork braze-ons, other than that chances are you might be able to get a stock rack to fit the canti posts; but if you're going to get a custom rack made to fit this bicycle anyway, it doesn't matter in terms of function which way you go.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I voted mid, because of you wanting to use a rando box bag all the time.

Ir it was mine, I would want a porteur type that I could use front bags on.

Like this;

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...teur-rack.html
I do like that you can hang panniers on the porteur. It's like a full rack + platform.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Apropos of porteur racks: almost certainly this bike wasn't designed to use one and if you did use one you almost certainly wouldn't be happy.

It doesn't make much difference whether you mount a small rack off canti posts or off fork braze-ons, other than that chances are you might be able to get a stock rack to fit the canti posts; but if you're going to get a custom rack made to fit this bicycle anyway, it doesn't matter in terms of function which way you go.
Porteur: they look like they have the potential to be clunky, and heavy!

I wouldn't be able to afford a full custom rack, it would be a Nitto M18 (very adjustable but I might need extended arms) or one of the other mini racks and I'd hope to be able to bend the rack to fit (notice how much lower my mid-fork bosses are vs. the one below). Either way, the canti rack sounds easier.

Last edited by Netdewt; 07-08-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
I do like that you can hang panniers on the porteur. It's like a full rack + platform.
Palincss is correct in that the bikes geo would not allow you to use the platform as a true porter. BUT, and this is a big but. Using the top platform for a small bag/light type load. Maybe a bit more than a normal rando box type bag, should be fine. That and being able to use it for front panniers is a plus to me.

Loading it up with boxes and heavy type loads like a true porter is without question not what that bike was meant to do.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
However the canti rack keeps options open for this bike, to use low-riders.
Good call. I'm torn between the two. It all depends on how much you try to carry long term. The canti mount also frees up the mid mount for a light(s) as we discussed. I'm not a fan of that clutter on my bars.

I really like how this thing is coming together btw. The pictures look great. You were lucky this frame was too short for me

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-08-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM

I'm also torn between a canti mount or low riders.

I use low riders on two bikes, my Hollands and my Fargo.

On the Fargo, I also use a Revelate Tangle and a Pika. I don't need a bar bag, as I use a Gas Tank and a mountain feed bag.

On the John Hollands I use Frost River bags in addition to the Tubus low riders. A Sawbill Trail and a Caribou Trail are perfect for this frameset. Think light weight.

On my Bilenky though I use a Nitto canti mount with a Swift Ozette. This bike has the right geo to put on a larger rando bag. It rides/handles like a champ.

Here is what I would do with a Space Horse. I would go really light with a small rando bag. The Space Horse is going to handle like a truck if you aren't careful with too much weight.

Don't get carried away with size!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM

you probably want a decaleur to help keep the rando bag in place if you're going to be putting anywhere near 20lbs of stuff in it.

i have a small ozette with a VO decaleur and it is SOLID!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
On my Bilenky though I use a Nitto canti mount with a Swift Ozette. This bike has the right geo to put on a larger rando bag. It rides/handles like a champ.

Here is what I would do with a Space Horse. I would go really light with a small rando bag. The Space Horse is going to handle like a truck if you aren't careful with too much weight.
Based on how it is described from All-City, I don't think I'll try to ever set up with front panniers. I'll have to switch to a true rando/650B setup if I want to do that. So, I think porteur and full are out.

The Paul Gino may work with the rack support sandwiched between it and the fork. But still, what do I gain from the mid-fork mount (besides possible future compatibility)? Also, the VO canti mount is $100 with integrated decaleur. If I need a decaleur, it might be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-City
The geometry of the frameset itself, is a mix of traditional road and touring geo's giving the bike agile head tube and seat tube numbers, a relatively short rear end, but with a lower than roadbike bottom bracket for increased stability while loaded. The tubeset was chosen with 30lbs rear and 20lbs front max loads in mind.
So, perhaps it makes the most sense to focus on lighter loads for the front. Rear loads may be easier to attach for single trips (those dual pannier setups), but all that can wait.

Quote:
i have a small ozette with a VO decaleur and it is SOLID!
I love your bike! Sometimes I wonder if I should have done the Soma. I've now passed on Soma for both of my recent builds...
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

I would do the M18 and put and rando bag on it. I have been fine without a decalleur but I dont care that much stuff on it.
I use the velcro and then use the hoops for the shoulder bag and run these through them and the rack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its a black bag (large swift ozette) and you can barelly see the straps. Works really well, bounces a bit on bumps but on nice road its solid. I have no problem putting a decalleur on it but I really have not seen the need yet.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-08-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM

This Racktime Topit apparently mounts to the mid fork bosses and fork crown. Doesn't look so bad... a little more modern than the Nitto and VO racks.

Found in this very complete article about mid fork / low-rider mounted racks: http://twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/...d-fork-bosses/

Last edited by Netdewt; 07-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.