Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Outstanding Packing job

So I do a bit of trading on EBay, you can find some good deals and generally no problems. Unfortunately my last bicycle related purchase is turning into a bit of a cluster thing. I bought the frame and paid for the frame plus shipping ($75 for shipping a frame, no fork, headset, bb). The seller informed me after the purchase that given the Easter weekend it would be delayed till Monday (actually left a couple of days later) any way, it arrived yesterday, it was not boxed, it was "wrapped" loosely in like two light layers of bubble wrap, a small cardboard "vanity cover" over the triangle. Most of the rear triangle was "exposed" I sent the guy a note asking for a refund. I have not disturbed the packaging because then its on me. He says just have it checked out at my LBS all will be fine. My concern is doing anything puts me in the position of having to defend my self and the fact that this all starts with a poor packing job. Honestly, never, ever gotten a frame that was not in a box.

Happy to take the abuse about the 'Bay, but am I just anal thinking it should have come in a box. Should I really just take the frame and the risk, or am I somewhat right to feel kind of "taken advantage of".

Best

Ray
Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM

You can call eBay and ask what course of action to take to make sure you're covered. Certainly take photos. If it's damaged they'll cover you, but you have to know if it's damaged. A human on the phone will let you know.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Take photos of the pack job before.

As you open it, take more photos step by step, take your time.

If there is damage, photograph it and ask for a refund.

You need proof it's damaged. The photos serve as proof that it was packed poorly.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:39 PM

maybe have a video cam on too
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Take photos of the pack job before.

As you open it, take more photos step by step, take your time.

If there is damage, photograph it and ask for a refund.

You need proof it's damaged. The photos serve as proof that it was packed poorly.
+1
You can't take too many photos in this case.

I had a similar case and paid $140 for professional packing and shipping.
Parts of the bike were protruding through the box.
No damage but a few unnecessary scratches.

Last edited by biker72; 04-26-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 PM
aka RAEKWON

interesting as the last 2 bikes I got from ebay had some of the best packing jobs I have ever seen. 1st bike I bought from ebay had the worst and so there was a dent on the bike. Definitely message ebay, they will be on ur side.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
it arrived yesterday, it was not boxed, it was "wrapped" loosely in like two light layers of bubble wrap, a small cardboard "vanity cover" over the triangle. Most of the rear triangle was "exposed"
Was there at least a bridge in the drop-outs? If not, I think that is case closed on the guy; eBay should probably refund you.

I have only ever had positive experiences with their conflict resolution system. They did most of the legwork, which was nice.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Administrator

I like the video idea.

BTW, I once received a frameset that was packed and shipped from a bike shop. The frameset arrived in a bike box with nothing else covering it at all. It was free to move around inside of the box. Fortunately there was no damage to the frameset.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Was there at least a bridge in the drop-outs? If not, I think that is case closed on the guy; eBay should probably refund you.

I have only ever had positive experiences with their conflict resolution system. They did most of the legwork, which was nice.
Nope. And the "bubble wrap" was undone over the rear dropouts. I opened a return, the guy sent a few emails but he went Radio silent yesterday so I plan to elevate the issue today.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 AM

I would think that if there is no return policy with the seller then not liking the packing job is not an adequate reason for a refund through the paypal or ebay process. It was shipped to you and received. You will need to prove that it was actually damaged or not what you ordered to be able to get the money back. Not opening the packaging makes some sense but I think the only way to go will be to open it and document any damage.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM

I agree with the suggestions that you document the package as it arrived and as you open it. Then check the frame for damage. If there is none you got the bike you wanted at a good price and you should be happy. OTOH hand if you have buyer's remorse and want to bail out MAYBE you can successfully pursue your present course.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
I would think that if there is no return policy with the seller then not liking the packing job is not an adequate reason for a refund through the paypal or ebay process. It was shipped to you and received. You will need to prove that it was actually damaged or not what you ordered to be able to get the money back. Not opening the packaging makes some sense but I think the only way to go will be to open it and document any damage.
Agree. Poor pack job isn't grounds for a refund. Damage is. Document pack job along with damage if there is any.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:09 PM

I really want to see some pics of this packing job.

I've never had to return anything on eBay before, until last year. and I've gotten at least a few frames from there, a bunch of wheelsets, and several thousands worth of music gear. in this instance, I had purchased a carbon tubular wheelset. I cleaned the glue off of them so I could start fresh and know exactly what I was dealing with. glad that I did, because I uncovered a minor crack in the carbon. I contacted the seller and, luckily, they had a comprehensive return policy. I had a return label emailed to me that night, it was shipped the next day, and I had a full refund a few days later. now I look for return policies when I buy big ticket items.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 PM
ZhugeLiang

We may not like to hear it but it's the truth.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree. Poor pack job isn't grounds for a refund. Damage is. Document pack job along with damage if there is any.
If I knew how to post a pic I would.

Think of this, you take 2 18x20 pieces of single ply cardboard (cut from a box) tape that over the frame triangle (part of the TT, ST,DT) then maybe two layers of small bubble wrap and some tape. That's the extent of it.

I disagree I have to prove damage, would you expect as a former LBS to do a thorough frame inspection for nothing? The assume there is a problem, who is to say it did not happen after receipt.

I think packing a bike frame in a box is a minimum expectation. Some newspaper or bubble wrap, that's a plus. This case the frame (rear dropouts) are clapping in the wind (bubble wrap came loose).

I got charged 75 for shipping, bikeflights likely would have done the whole deal for 50

This is not buyers remorse, just feel like this person did not do the right thing