Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Kona Ute

Anybody had one? Loved it? Hated it?

I know the big dummy is the cool kid long tail, but Kona's local and they do a lot of great stuff for our community. Plus, I've actually ridden one (unlike Surly and the rest, which no one has locally) and it seems like it will do the job. The price is on point, too.

Primarily, this will be for hauling kids around. My little dude doesn't like the trailer and he's getting too big for the rack seat, plus, the second one is imminent.

So what does the hive mind say? I'd love to hear some firsthand experiences before I pull the trigger.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 PM

No Kona Ute, but I have a similar Trek Transport. I bought for the same reason and find it's one of my most used bikes. I take it everywhere. Super versatile. Last year for the 4th, I rode to a friends with a gas grill, propane tank, and a cooler on the bike, plus a few other odds and ends. Ridden it to the nursery where I got several bags of mulch and potting soil, and pots. I mounted handlebars to my seatpost and my daughter, when she was younger, rode back there and loved it. I put a bell on her bars and she'd ring, "faster daddy!". She got a kick out of passing other cyclists on the cargo bike. I'm all in for these types of bikes. Today, I have a tandem (for riding with her) so I use it less, only when going to grocery now.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Anybody had one? Loved it? Hated it?

I know the big dummy is the cool kid long tail, but Kona's local and they do a lot of great stuff for our community. Plus, I've actually ridden one (unlike Surly and the rest, which no one has locally) and it seems like it will do the job. The price is on point, too.

Primarily, this will be for hauling kids around. My little dude doesn't like the trailer and he's getting too big for the rack seat, plus, the second one is imminent.

So what does the hive mind say? I'd love to hear some firsthand experiences before I pull the trigger.
I got a Sun Atlas for that purpose and had a local shop add xtracycle v-racks and flight deck so I could put two kid seats on the back. I thought about a Ute but the Atlas came up. Look like people are putting kid seats on the Ute deck without problems.

Ryan
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 PM

A friend and fellow Paceliner has a Ute which he uses to carry two kids. I think he's secretly jealous of my Yuba Spicy Curry. If you aren't opposed to ebikes, I think you'll get a lot more use out of it than a non-electric cargo. My kids are 7 and nearly 10 and they still love getting rides on it.

Yuba just announced a new version at Sea Otter, though mine has an even stronger motor.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
A friend and fellow Paceliner has a Ute which he uses to carry two kids. I think he's secretly jealous of my Yuba Spicy Curry. If you aren't opposed to ebikes, I think you'll get a lot more use out of it than a non-electric cargo. My kids are 7 and nearly 10 and they still love getting rides on it.

Yuba just announced a new version at Sea Otter, though mine has an even stronger motor.
Those are awesome, my buddy has one and I was on that track initially, but I can't quite justify the extra $2500. I think the limiting factor of use here is going to be rain and cold, not my willingness to muscle the kids around... For sure if money wasnt an object I'd be getting the spicy curry, I think it's a perfect application of ebike tech.

Plus, hauling the kids will be good for my motor, right??
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 PM

Buy an Xtracycle or a Big Dummy.