Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I worked for Time Inc most of my adult life, so, you know, don't get me going. My introduction to this cronyism was back when Time Inc. merged with Warner Brothers to create Time Warner. (Yes, the Time Warner that later merged with AOL, that now is cited as the worst merger in history, but, we're not going there right now) when the Time Warner merger was announced, various executives from my company had to publicly announce that they received very substantial sums of money after it happened. About ten million dollars each, which, of course, is pocket change these days, but, was quite a lot in 1990 or so, for, you know, DOING NOTHING! I could never figure out, and nobody could explain to me why a CEO of a public company that was essentially just bought, deserves a king's ransom. But, as we've seen, it's gotten much, much worse these days.
That's a bit different. If they were founders or early employees of the company, received restricted stock options, and cashed them in upon an IPO/M&A activity, they earned it. That's not the same as a golden parachute, where failure is rewarded.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM

i last looked at it circa 1999-2000-ish. back when it started becoming very bloated and useless.

sounds like it hasn't changed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
it's hilarious to me that yahoo! is under discussion in 2017.

i haven't visited their website for probably 10 years.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Yahoo has a very useful financial section. (but nothing you can't get else where)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:01 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
That's a bit different. If they were founders or early employees of the company, received restricted stock options, and cashed them in upon an IPO/M&A activity, they earned it. That's not the same as a golden parachute, where failure is rewarded.

Nope, not founders. Not even early employees. And, fine, they may have had certain classes of stock, due to their position, and options, but the employees did, too, due to a robust stick buying plan. (this was well before 401ks got big, and IRAs were very young. We did have pensions. It was like living in France, with all the other benefits.) Now, if they did have options, the SEC requires public disclosure of that sale. Never saw that. Just, so and so and his underlings all dressed the same from the same Ivy school received an eight figure fee or bonus or however they called it for this wonderful thing they did. We saw nothing, and the shareholders, as always, got screwed, too.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:49 PM

what happens to current yhoo shareholders when Verizon deal closes?

will my current shares convert to Altaba shares and in what ratio of current to Altaba?

maybe this is the clue...i don't understand:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/yahoo...100000221.html

will i be rich soon?

Last edited by eddief; 05-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:27 PM

you'll get coupons from alibaba to buy some fake rapha and pinarello frames....

awhile ago i went on to alibaba to check out purchasing some items for a commercial setting. it felt like one giant scam, with no hope of products ever seeing the light of the doorstep.

so instead i went to global industrial. located right nearby in long island (their headquarters), and we have purchased many things from them in the past. never an issue. and it supports local employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
will my current shares convert to Altaba shares and in what ratio of current to Altaba?

will i be rich soon?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Great work, Marissa!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/t...ion-users.html

Quote:
That investigators did not discover the full extent of the 2013 incident before Verizon closed the deal to acquire Yahoo in June was surprising to outside cybersecurity analysts.

“Frankly, I don’t know how Yahoo got away with this,” said Jay Kaplan, a former Defense Department cybersecurity expert and senior analyst at the National Security Agency who is now the chief executive of the cybersecurity company Synack.

After Yahoo discovered that one billion accounts were affected, it should not have been a stretch to consider that all of the company’s user accounts had been compromised, he said. “My guess is that Yahoo was completely ‘owned’ across the board,” Mr. Kaplan said.

Last edited by fiamme red; 10-04-2017 at 08:39 AM.