Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
https://www.innicycle.com/store.html

Aa for 1" vs 11/8, i would decide on stem first and choose the headset convertion after that. There are not a lot of 1" stems that look good that works with oversize bars.. If you dont want oversized (31.8) there are some nice 1" stems out there but not at all as many as for 11/8 and u get a much bigger pool of bars to choose from.

There are cheap solutions for 1" convertions as well but they are all very heavy.
Anyone know if this long bolt thingy is threaded for a traditional expander wedge, or if it’s threaded for a typical star nut?.. (I’m looking for an extra long, 5 mm Allen head bolt to thread into a star nut… like 4-5 inches, but can’t seem to find one anywhere.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0651.jpg (24.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-30-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Anyone know if this long bolt thingy is threaded for a traditional expander wedge, or if it’s threaded for a typical star nut?.. (I’m looking for an extra long, 5 mm Allen head bolt to thread into a star nut… like 4-5 inches, but can’t seem to find one anywhere.)
Not to derail this thread, but all star nuts I've come across are M6. If you truly need a long M5 socket head cap screw, however, I have a few 130mm ones at work and can send you one for shipping.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:26 PM
Dirt Rat

Okay I'm officially sold on the innicycle! Can anyone help me understand whether or not I need the JIS crown race or if the ISO will suffice? To clarify again the bike is a 1993 Ritchey Road Logic
Old 08-31-2023, 12:34 PM

There is another thread on this https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3111025

Innicycle uses a cone instead of a wedge to secure it to the steerer tube.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
There is another thread on this https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3111025

Innicycle uses a cone instead of a wedge to secure it to the steerer tube.
I never found the cone to be a problem, I think it is overstated to say it is a problem.
Once installed and tightened there is no reason to ever touch it again as bar height is adjusted with spacers and stem angle.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I never found the cone to be a problem, I think it is overstated to say it is a problem.
Once installed and tightened there is no reason to ever touch it again as bar height is adjusted with spacers and stem angle.
Have you ever taken your fork off the bike and measured if the steerer wasn't bulged? If it were, could that cause the steerer to crack? Headsets wear out and eventually need replacing. Doesn't that bulge interfere with replacement of the lower bearing and crown race? Virtually all quill stems now are made with a wedge, not a cone.

I wouldn't use this product because of this concern. (I wouldn't use a quill stem with a cone either.) If I did, I'd be very careful to use the least amount of torque necessary. Maybe use carbon paste too.

YMMV

Edit: Salient points from another Paceline thread https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=195818

"I've seen a bulged steerer, back in the day when I worked at the LBS. You know ... lightweight steel race bike (probably a thin tubed steerer), never heard of a torque wrench or even what a torque setting was, and someone got kinda gorilla strong with the allen wrench. It was from a quill stem with a cone, not a wedge. I concluded that that was one of the reasons stem manufacturers started producing wedges instead of cones."

and

"A steerer is the tube you least want to weaken by bulging/bending. Not only is the steerer one of the few non-redundant frame tubes, but unlike other frame tubes it cannot be easily inspected for cracks starting to form. I've seen steerer tubes fail while being ridden, and never ends well."

Last edited by MikeD; 08-31-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.mgnr View Post
Okay I'm officially sold on the innicycle! Can anyone help me understand whether or not I need the JIS crown race or if the ISO will suffice? To clarify again the bike is a 1993 Ritchey Road Logic
Reach out to the guy who sells them. He's responsive.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.mgnr View Post
ISO, this should help you out with confirming if you have any dought, https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/blogs/...-vintage-bikes

Tags
adapter, quill, stem, threadless