Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Vendor

I doubt that Ford would start selling e-bikes or any bikes. They use these "collaborations" to appeal to target buyers and sell them cars and trucks. Serotta did a MeiVici AE with Ford logos and the next year a 29er Mtn bike to show off their Transit connect at Interbike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford.jpg (88.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg serotta_interbikevan-1.jpg (68.1 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army View Post
I've never understood e-Bikes. If you don't want to pedal, get a moped and stay off the MUT. If you want to pedal and exercise, get a bike.

The e-Bike seems to try to bridge the two spectrums that really don't need bridging.
I don't think of them as an alternative to bikes or mopeds. If you live anywhere with the slightest hills, they are a great alternative to cars because they allow you to go anywhere without breaking the "sweat threshold", i.e. the threshold of exertion that causes you to sweat. Same holds true if you have a flat commute of longer than, say, a mile. I'd buy one for that, but the prices are still too high to justify these use cases over just driving. It would be great if a real manufacturing company like Ford came in and brought economies of scale to drive down the price. Imagine if, say, a Faraday ebike ( http://www.faradaybikes.com/products/faraday-porteur ) could be sold for under $2K, instead of $3.5K.

And more people on bikes, ebikes or otherwise, would probably make things safer for cyclists too.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army View Post
I've never understood e-Bikes. If you don't want to pedal, get a moped and stay off the MUT. If you want to pedal and exercise, get a bike.

The e-Bike seems to try to bridge the two spectrums that really don't need bridging.
I'm anti e-bike on the MUT, but I can see a market. They just need to be treated like what they are: an electric moped/motorcycle.

I've got a light and cheap 26in rigid mtb that I love to ride on the trail but that only happens a few days week at most in the summer. Most of my miles are road going.

I've got a fairly short commute but it's on a county highway with no shoulder and no lights. By none I mean less than 2in of pavement outside the white line. the company I work for is also on a large campus so we expanded out rather than up. I've got meetings that are a mile apart.

I've thought about using a cheap moped or motorcycle for commuting, but now I'm thinking about a Copenhagen wheel. I would have the current wheelset with knobbies and a 11-36 and a second with slick tires and a road cassette on a Copenhagen. When the electric wheel was in, I would treat it the same way I would a moped. With the standard wheel in, it would be a bicycle.

Why this over a moped? Less cost, less maintenance, no gas, no license fee, 30lbs vs 300lbs, more use out of a great frame, and minimal storage space. Rather than trying to cram a motorcycle or moped between two cars in a two car garage, I would only have a spare set of 26in wheels hanging on a hook.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 03-02-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Older Than You

The problem is that E-bikes just don't sell. One of the best designed E-bikes is the Specialized Turbo. We quit handling them. We had to take a loss on the one we did sell.

We have others that are cheaper but still sit in the showroom for a loooong time.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:49 PM

E-bikes the next Ford Ranger.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
The problem is that E-bikes just don't sell. One of the best designed E-bikes is the Specialized Turbo. We quit handling them. We had to take a loss on the one we did sell.

We have others that are cheaper but still sit in the showroom for a loooong time.
My feeling is there will end up being bike shops, and e-bike shops. Iirc, Chattanooga already has 2 e-bike only bike shops. They seem to do a lot of rentals and repair work.

I would assume you'd have to really specialize in e-bikes to be successful at selling and servicing them...?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:39 PM

I'd love to purchase an e-bike, but unfortunately have squandered my slush fund on RB stuff.

The Spesh is too expensive for me right now, but is the most elegant. They seriously need an option for an oversize battery pack. I've had props on the Strom from a rider who's had one for 4 yr., and we now have a dealer in town.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
I don't think of them as an alternative to bikes or mopeds. If you live anywhere with the slightest hills, they are a great alternative to cars because they allow you to go anywhere without breaking the "sweat threshold", i.e. the threshold of exertion that causes you to sweat. Same holds true if you have a flat commute of longer than, say, a mile. I'd buy one for that, but the prices are still too high to justify these use cases over just driving. It would be great if a real manufacturing company like Ford came in and brought economies of scale to drive down the price. Imagine if, say, a Faraday ebike ( http://www.faradaybikes.com/products/faraday-porteur ) could be sold for under $2K, instead of $3.5K.

And more people on bikes, ebikes or otherwise, would probably make things safer for cyclists too.
BUT that begs the question. Where do you legally ride this 'motorized vehicle'? Around here not on the MUP(MultiUse Path) system. Not in bike lanes and they aren't quick enough for normal traffic lanes. To the far right of the road like a bike? I guess but around here they are legislated like 49cc scooters.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BUT that begs the question. Where do you legally ride this 'motorized vehicle'? Around here not on the MUP(MultiUse Path) system. Not in bike lanes and they aren't quick enough for normal traffic lanes. To the far right of the road like a bike? I guess but around here they are legislated like 49cc scooters.

I'd ride it on the road like roadbike, as a vehicle. My interest is pedal assist only. Of course I'm only interested as long as the loop hole for pedal assist exists.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM

I would bet the majority of e-bikes sold in FL are DUI bikes. Same with mopeds. We've even seen quite a few beach cruisers converted over to gas power and dummies will ride them on the side walk.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I would bet the majority of e-bikes sold in FL are DUI bikes. Same with mopeds. We've even seen quite a few beach cruisers converted over to gas power and dummies will ride them on the side walk.
The first guy I talked to who had an e-bike was for this exact reason. He lost his license to drive due to a DUI and was using the e-bike to get to work.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Looks like ford is getting into the cylcing business

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post

This. I would much rather people be on e bikes than in cars. I agree with the potential of it being safer for people in transport as a whole and would be less of an environmental impact. I think the question regarding laws would be settled when more of a presence is made. Similar to how laws and enforcement of those laws developed with the evolution of the automobile.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 03-02-2015, 03:49 PM

Of course idiots acting like idiots on e-bikes or battery powered conversions have nothing to do with valid use of e-bikes. Geez we fall so quickly into belly aching mode.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
not sure i understand the move on their part:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/02/f...=rss_truncated
Ford is just coming full circle:

One hopes that Ford learned something about electronics after their Microsoft partnership debacle.
But 25 kph max? That's Cozy Coupe territory.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
I'd ride it on the road like roadbike, as a vehicle. My interest is pedal assist only. Of course I'm only interested as long as the loop hole for pedal assist exists.
Here in Massachusetts there is no such loophole. E-bikes are classified as "Motorized Bicycles", in the same category as mopeds. As such, they are required to be registered, display a number plate, and operator must have a valid drivers licence (either car or motorcycle). They are allowed to use bike lanes on regular roads, but are not allowed on bike paths.

Its been commented that E-bikes are often used by those with DUIs, but that would not be legal here, as you need a valid drivers license.