Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Administrator

the hanging racks that hold the top tube with rubber straps seems like they would definitely damage the paint if you have a brake cable run along the top tube...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Easyrider

Rack

Great, you guys are big help!!!! I am looking at Kuat and 1up platform... Thank you! Riding today with cool weather........
Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
the hanging racks that hold the top tube with rubber straps seems like they would definitely damage the paint if you have a brake cable run along the top tube...
The bike cradles usually have relief cuts in them for the cable to sit in without resting on the tube, at least the better hanging style racks and my older Thule are like this. If you mean in cases where the cable runs on the top of the top tube, then all bets are off and it will rub unless you put something under the cables. Platforms are still usually better at holding the bikes, they just take up more room and are more $$.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Easyrider

Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
The bike cradles usually have relief cuts in them for the cable to sit in without resting on the tube, at least the better hanging style racks and my older Thule are like this. If you mean in cases where the cable runs on the top of the top tube, then all bets are off and it will rub unless you put something under the cables. Platforms are still usually better at holding the bikes, they just take up more room and are more $$.
My bike is Cannondale SuperSix do have brake cable on side of top tube. So thank you for your advices.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Agreed - the hanging racks do scratch the frame if there are external brake cables on the top tube. Happened to me once and I successfully polished the scratches out. Since then I've always kept a small piece of bike tube handy which I slide in between the cable and the frame before putting the bike back on the carrier. Ideally I don't use the hanging rack but when the roof rack is filled with bikes I drag the rear mount rack out of the shed as well.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post

edit: https://1upusa.com/support/faq for the reason there are two websites.
I think it is unfortunate that the answer in that link doesn't really answer the question.

See this for more information (or confusion?): http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-rac...t-1055205.html
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Easyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
I think it is unfortunate that the answer in that link doesn't really answer the question.

See this for more information (or confusion?): http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-rac...t-1055205.html
Thanks for updated. I am ordering Kuat Sherpa 2.0 from Outdoorplay for $415 with coupon.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I don't think either side will offer much more information until this is settled by attorneys. Until then both companies will lose out with the uncertainty of it all.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:16 PM

Bike Rack

I have a Kuat NV (found at slight discount on Craigslist) that I love, it is 4-bike set-up for a 2inch hitch. It is easy to load and has a great mechanism to tighten it in the hitch. I liked it so much I bought a 2-bike Kuat Transfer for other car with 1.25inch hitch. Every so often Backcountry.com has a 20% off coupon for one item, so can bring the price down.

A good friend has a 1up and generally liked it too. None are perfect, but I agree that Kuat and 1up are great.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookietom View Post
Thanks for updated. I am ordering Kuat Sherpa 2.0 from Outdoorplay for $415 with coupon.
You won't be disappointed. Kuat's build quality is first rate.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:33 AM

I can understand why people might be put off with what seems to be a fight between former co-workers/owners or copyright infringement. It may be a fight of a developer against a copier.

That said, the site with the hyphen (1up-usa) in it has the EXACT products that I have and think are fantastic.

Importantly, it is the only that uses the registered trademark on the product shots which is the same as the one on what I have. If you look at the other site, they do NOT use the protected trademark. There is surely a legal reason that the other site does not use the registered trademark.

Oh, and the hyphen site physical address is the same address as where my stuff came from. The other site is in a completely different town.

So, I am not a lawyer but I am an educated consumer. And I will say again that the product is baller.

Last edited by htwoopup; 09-23-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2017, 07:02 PM

For my CT, I went with a roof rack. I thought the 1.25" hitch was a bit small. No matter how beefy the rack is the overall setup will still vibrate and wobble.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:33 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Murray View Post
For my CT, I went with a roof rack. I thought the 1.25" hitch was a bit small. No matter how beefy the rack is the overall setup will still vibrate and wobble.

A hitch mounted tray rack does not vibrate or wobble

That said a CT is low to the ground and that means unless you are careful you will bottom a tray hitch rack and hear that nasty grinding sound unless careful.

I have a 2012 CT and use other vehicles for bike transport. If i was using the CT the bike would go inside
Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Easyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
A hitch mounted tray rack does not vibrate or wobble

That said a CT is low to the ground and that means unless you are careful you will bottom a tray hitch rack and hear that nasty grinding sound unless careful.

I have a 2012 CT and use other vehicles for bike transport. If i was using the CT the bike would go inside
Now you are making me nervous.......
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Digging this thread up because I was interested in the "new and improved" version of the 1UP rack but it appears that the original manufacturer of the rack was successful in getting the new company's website taken down. Does anyone know if they are still making the new rack under a different name? It did seem boneheaded for the original inventor to sell the company, wait out a non-compete, design improvements to the rack, and then introduce the new and improved rack to the market using the exact same name except for a hyphen removed...