Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
Uh. Sorry to read you had some misadventures Robin. Recently?

Since we are in the same town with the same kings of the road around I'll be following this thread as well!
Hey Mr. P.,
No, it was two years ago. I was already really preoccupied with the level of distraction behind the wheels, then smack, a dude passes me then suddenly turns right, without indicating, looking, etc, because he was texting (he admitted when I came to and accused him). Right across a bike lane, on a sunny clear day. I have spent much of my career working to increase the presence of bike lanes, traffic appeasement measures/traffic calming, and I believe in this stuff. But I am not sure that there exists urban design that can make us safer from people staring down at little screens while driving. The fines are far too low (dude who hit me=$100), and it isn't stigmatized yet like drinking and driving. Sigh.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Garmin VIRB looks like the deal breaker. Just need to scrape together the pennies now.
Out of curiosity, has no company attempted to make a camera that records content via bluetooth to a smart phone?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
Out of curiosity, has no company attempted to make a camera that records content via bluetooth to a smart phone?
Battery life would be even more dismal. Might as well just use the camera on your phone?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 AM

GoAmateur.jpg

This?
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I'd be happy with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 3.16.20 PM.jpg (39.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Same subject, a little later on

I picked up a Sony action cam from a friend, but it is just too fancy and complicated for my everyday needs. Any new thoughts on decent helmet cams that aren't crazy expensive? Like around $80-150?
So many on Amazon, but so manu fake reviews... (thanks Fakespot!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-09-22 at 13.45.51.jpg (74.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:10 PM

I have a Fly 6 and a Garmin Virb Elite. I use the Fly 6 every ride. It really is simple, strap it to the post, turn on and ride. It records on a loop and battery lasts 5-6 hours. One weakness is it records in a different standard (API if I remember right) so I had to download software to view on my Mac.

I don't use the Virb as much, although it's a great camera for the price. I don't like a camera on my helmet and the handlebar mount is kind of bulky. I have it mounted under the bar when I use it. I have several bikes so the bar mount only works well with a few of them.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
That's hilarious. Somebody had fun making that !
Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM

I bought the Cycliq Fly12 (front) and Fly6 (rear) cameras a couple months ago because it seems like I've been getting buzzed more and more on pavement, especially in the last 10 months. So far so good, caught a few close calls on camera (haven't needed to use them) but they've been reliable.

They were bundling the two for like $370 or so, which was about $65 off purchasing separately. Still expensive but I decided that this wasn't the sort of thing to be cheap about.

The lights are surprisingly good, too. Only drawback is they're heavy.

There's a company called Yi that makes action cameras that cost less than a GoPro. I have no experience with them other than I've seen some positive feedback but it may be worth looking into.