Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM

show/talk about Rivendells

How many of you folks have a Rivendell? I've recently begun commuting to work again after having added a rear rack and panniers to my bike (Serotta Ti-Max mtb). As it turns out, the chainstays on this bike are probably a bit short (42.5cm) for what I want to do with it (my heels hit the panniers now and then).

What are your Rivs like? I'm probably only going to be riding with rear panniers & a trunk bag (no front bags) and will occasionally be carrying a fair amount of weight (30 or 40 pounds back there).

My shortest commute is about six miles (one way) and the longest is probably 20 miles (I work all over Los Angeles).

Thanks for any input.

Chris
Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 PM

I have had a couple rivs over the years.

I liked them,

Comfortable riding position, long stays, plenty of tire clearance, heavy duty.

Fancy lugs are fun.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 PM

I currently have a Bleriot built up as a town bike, but I've had a number of Rivs over the years, two semi-custom road frames, an All-Rounder, a Rambouillet, and a couple of Herons (one road, one touring). The road bikes were basically updated RB1 type bikes, slightly longer stays and slightly lower BB, but fast and light feeling bikes - great handling. The others ranged from pretty mellow sport-touring bikes to full-on touring capable bikes with really beefy tubing, front end geometry that handled front bags well, and generally a slow and plodding disposition.

So a Rivendell isn't one thing, or hasn't been. I think Grant has moved more toward sport touring and touring/commuting bikes with his geometry over the years, but they still make the Rodeo, a pretty quick road bike, and I'm sure you can get their custom to be just about what you want within the range of Grant's design philosophy. If you want a commute capable bike, it shouldn't be hard to find...

-Ray
Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Is the front end geometry such that they 'need' bags on the front to ride/handle well or ought it/they be okay with only rear bags, albeit heavily loaded ones.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsight512 View Post
Is the front end geometry such that they 'need' bags on the front to ride/handle well or ought it/they be okay with only rear bags, albeit heavily loaded ones.
I have MB-3 with rear rack that sometimes has grocery panniers heavily loaded and it rides fine.

Riv Allrounder with Riv Hoss sadddlebag hanging from B-17 and resting on rear fender. It rides fine with 35 pounds crammed in the bag.

Rambouillet with medium saddle bag hung from B-17 and it has been fine with 20 pounds.

The geometry on all 3 bikes seems excellent for all around riding. The MB-3 is quicker handling than other mtn. bikes from the late 1980s-1990s so it's a dandy urban assault weapon. The Allrounder is on the slow-handling side for road bikes but that makes it very stable loaded and on soft surfaces. It might be considered as an early 29er. The Rambo is like an old race bike with longish stays for a comfy ride and no twitchiness.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I have an Atlantis (My third one) it doesn't 'need' bags on the front but doesn't mind them. I currently have a Riv boxy bag and Nitto rack hanging on the bars and a Nitto M12 with a dynamo light attached. It handles well no matter what you seem to throw at it. Rear loads work as well. Did a 500 mile tour with a light front and heavy rear load it was fine. Mines a 56 so it has 26 inch wheels and will fit big (2.1+) tires. It's a beast and I like it that way.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
None of those I've ridden needed front bags, but all but the pure road frames could handle them.

-Ray
Old 10-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Rivendells are rear loaders.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
...but they still make the Rodeo, ...
Actually "Roadeo".

(Yes, really: http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/f-roadeo.htm)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:15 PM

I mostly do fastish club rides

Over the years, due to perhaps a diagnosed psychological problem, I have owned 2 orange Rabouillets, 1 coupled green Rambouillet, and 2 Bleriots. I was taken in by the pretty faces, but never enamored with the ride. Either I was sluggish on them or they were sluggish under me. The orange Rambouillets and the blue Bleriots were fine lookers.

That said, my 4 current road bikes all resemble Rambouillet geometry quite closely: relaxed angles, tall headtube, decent BB drop, longish chainstays.

Last edited by eddief; 10-07-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 PM
n - 1

Beautiful bikes. I wouldn't mind one someday.

Their staff is another story. Called and spoke to Mark a while ago. Never had encountered such snootiness, even compared to some elite shops in my area. Just wanted some frame info and felt like I was disturbing him somehow. Must have taken his CS training from Peter White.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 PM

show/talk about Rivendells

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post

Their staff is another story. Called and spoke to Mark a while ago. Never had encountered such snootiness, even compared to some elite shops in my area. Just wanted some frame info and felt like I was disturbing him somehow. Must have taken his CS training from Peter White.

Fwiw, my experience with Riv in general has been quite the opposite. Your experience was clearly a low point for them, but I would not call it typical.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM

Talking Riv been berry berry good tome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Fwiw, my experience with Riv in general has been quite the opposite. Your experience was clearly a low point for them, but I would not call it typical.
Always chatty and friendly in the shop.
Nice on the phone when I ordered some stuff. Grant is anti-snooty
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:

I once needed different struts to adapt a front rack to a rear bag support rack and he sent them to me free of charge completely. We're all human
Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:

I can only surmise that you smelled of Lycra and chamois cream to get such a response. They have always been so nice to me in my wool/cotton riding kit.