Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2023, 06:58 PM
Vendor

My tail light is an Exposure Trace. What I like is how it tucks up neatly to the seat rails.

For nighttime riding, I bought the Outbound Lighting Evo Downhill package last year. Awesome set of lights.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonita View Post
(Apologies for zombie thread, but days are getting shorter) I've been using a Sofirn flashlight as a "be seen" front light, which uses a 14500 cell, which can be swapped with an AA cell in a pinch (less Wattage output though). The big advantage is the firmware is Anduril, which is open source, and has many options as default including a solid-flicker mode I like. Had to print a custom mount, which is another advantage. Not enough lumens for nighttime rides, for which the Lumintop B01 StVZO-like reflector and 21700 cell is appealing (no Anduril though )
With apologies in advance. …

Lol at advantages listing “firmware”. I like to keep simple things simple. Lights don’t need firmware in my world.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:02 PM

I'd say almost all LED lights are controlled by firmware (fw), which enables even simple functions like brightness, and blink patterns. So we're all stuck with fw that is usually locked down and proprietary. The nice thing about open source software (e.g., anduril fw) is that we can tinker with it and make it our own. Modern day fettling to customize our steeds, just as when we modify the drivetrain with out of spec gearing and cables. This is one of the reasons I don't move to electronic shifting; shimano nor sram have source code available (iirc Archer d1x does have source available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
With apologies in advance. …

Lol at advantages listing “firmware”. I like to keep simple things simple. Lights don’t need firmware in my world.

Last edited by Carbonita; 08-28-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:08 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Lights don’t need firmware in my world.
Heck, I’m lucky if I remember to charge them …
Old 08-28-2023, 08:10 PM

for daytime running lights, the CygoLite Hotrods work for me.

small, bright, USB, inexpensive.

4 x winning...
Old 08-28-2023, 08:16 PM

There you go, you may not have to. One of the blink patterns tells you the remaining battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Heck, I’m lucky if I remember to charge them …
Old 08-29-2023, 04:10 AM

Lupine for front lights when I need to see the road - Betty or Wilma.

Exposure Boost front light when I need to be seen.

Exposure TraceR or Boost-R tail light. Also Lupine Rotlicht rear light.

Always go with more light and longer battery life than you think you'll ever need. You can always dim a bright light but you can't boost a weak light.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:28 AM

I got several sets of these Blitzu sets, front & rear, with charging cable, and free shipping for $9.95 per set. Probably will give out but really, really cheap. My buddies now have them too. I'm getting 2-3 hours of very bright light per charge, then they start to fade out. Easy to mount. Did I say inexpensive?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185828374049?hash=item2b443bf621:g:J~QAAOSwrhhkHx5D&amdata=enc% 3AAQAIAAAAwANm4g1rLvOOQX3fPmtfHWMhvIereRdvEv9daQDZ 4jTTIolgqIWN%2F%2BUREKxrxLlsoqmvQwcgBHXMrQRUhjLkHo SuzfDS1%2FzuMZ%2BS7D%2FanYv3cNT6docr%2F7WAWCnFQ%2F Mmy%2BbIvouLvljRvfEN6z8No2J%2FBnIQyrzFTYR9txp6%2B8 e4ogM5JfbZ11Psxb3Zz0ZwLHNfKxjcHOCfx%2F2TKqhnflFIpR W%2F3BmJsmDhCqJYlZbauMsh3%2FuiaovzfiEteFInEQ%3D%3D %7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8yLoI3IYg
Old 08-29-2023, 08:00 AM

Cyglite

Another Cygolite user here.
For the rear I use one of the Cygolite Hot Shots, I'm not sure what model it is, but it is super bright and the battery lasts really long.
I have 2 Cygoltes that I use on the trail a Expllion 800 and a Metro 1100, I got myself a light mount that goes under my Garmin and I started using the Metro 1100 as a daytime blinkie up front, it has a very nice daytime blink pattern and the battery seemingly lasts forever, and if I ever end up getting caught out at dark I can always power on the full 1100 lumens to get home
Old 08-29-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
After having the Flare RT for awhile I am really disappointed with it.
The beam is very narrow so cars that are passing can barely see it.
Battery life sees low. I was using the bluetooth feature with my Garmin but do not really like it and it probably drains the battery. I would rather control the light myself. I just ordered a Magicshine SeeMee 200 hoping it has a wider beam angle and longer battery life.
Curious to hear about your experience with the Magicshine. I too have a Flare RT and think the beam is too narrow. I don't use bluetooth, but I'm still unimpressed with the battery life. Intrigued by the brake light feature as well.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:04 AM

Lupine - They're a bit pricey, but they last.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:35 AM

I've been using the same rechargeable Night Rider Solas 100 rear blinky for years. It usually lasts through 6-8 hours without recharge on flash. However, I recently bought a second Night Rider Solas 250 and although a bit brighter, it only lasts about 3 hours between charges.

I use a Lezyne Zecto 250 front flasher. This one has been amazing. 8 hours on flash and It's still going strong after 3 years.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
Curious to hear about your experience with the Magicshine. I too have a Flare RT and think the beam is too narrow. I don't use bluetooth, but I'm still unimpressed with the battery life. Intrigued by the brake light feature as well.
I will be getting it in a few days and will let you know.
I have a Magicshine head light and it is very good, they make solid products.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:43 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantkarma View Post
However, I recently bought a second Night Rider Solas 250 and although a bit brighter, it only lasts about 3 hours between charges.
that just doesn't seem right.. have you asked NiteRider about it?
Old 08-29-2023, 01:26 PM

Garmin varia 715
Bontrager flare r and flare rt

Have been great and function as needed.

Front lights I've been using light and motion units with varying success. Some have had premature battery failure and some have failed mid ride.

My advice is to always have a back up front light if you are riding in the dark... I've been stuck on the side of the road waiting for my eyes to adjust to low light in order to finish my ride with 40mph downhill sections.

That wasn't enjoyable or safe!