Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM

lights

I ride in the mornings. I have lights let cars see me, but I need a light system to let me see the road. any suggestions? I tried to search previous posts - wihtout any success. thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM

[this is copied from a similar thread on another forum that i posted to, on this exact topic...]

I've been looking around for awhile on a nice light that wouldn't break the bank. Enduro (the Maxx2 or the Strada) was the light I was most likely going to get. However, on a fluke, and after reading several good reviews, I took a flyer on something called a "Magicshine" off of ebay. It was $90 shipped. Claimed output is 900 lumens on max, but who knows. It's really, really bright, that much I know. Has three modes: high, low, and flashing. The flashing seems to be done in the "high" mode, and is painful to look at head-on--which might be the point for getting noticed, depending on where you're riding.

There's a simple big clicker mode button on the back that lights up green so long as battery is good (which you'll see in the picture), turns red when it's about to shut down. Looks like the clicker button will be easy to handle with thick winter gloves (itself a depressing thought, now that winter is arriving...). Super easy install (takes about a minute or two), clean setup (small & not bulky) and it's lightweight.

I'll try & get some pics in "the field" shortly, but for now, here's what it looks like as mounted. I put the battery pack (which is housed in a handy cordura pouch that has velcro on the back) underneath the tops of the bars. It can mount under the stem too, but I thought I'd try this mounting place for now.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RThompson
I tried to search previous posts - wihtout any success.
Here are a few old threads.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=48824

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49849

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=64508
Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 PM

I highly recommend Light & Motion lights. I've had one of their high end models for 4 years now. It is incredibly bright. I use it everyday during daily commute in late fall, winter & early spring months. It has worked flawlessly for 4 years of daily use for about 4 months out of the year. Expensive but in my mind worth every single penny. Cars can easily see me & plus I can easily see the road. I have the Li-Ion battery pack and it gives about 6 hours on a charge. Their new LED lights look very very nice as well although I haven't seen in person.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
ALT+255

I'll put a plug in for a US company, Dinotte of Hampton NH. There are few options nowadays where you can buy something not made in China and Dinotte products are proven both for performance and end user support.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
'nsatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh
I highly recommend Light & Motion lights. I've had one of their high end models for 4 years now. It is incredibly bright. I use it everyday during daily commute in late fall, winter & early spring months. It has worked flawlessly for 4 years of daily use for about 4 months out of the year. Expensive but in my mind worth every single penny. Cars can easily see me & plus I can easily see the road. I have the Li-Ion battery pack and it gives about 6 hours on a charge. Their new LED lights look very very nice as well although I haven't seen in person.
I just got a Light n Motion Salle 200l. Its amazing. Tiny, bright and blingy.

Its the sexiest of all bike lights.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM

can't say enough good about my dinotte lights

i ride quite a bit with these...
i aim one a little lower, one stretched out farther
with the nice tail running
and get a full lane with passing vehicles.
they light up the road great
which is essential
and extends the riding season considerably!

Last edited by spiderman; 10-01-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM

The NiteRider MiNewt systems work great - depending on the model, you can get one that gives you a good 30 feet or so in the dead of night, or you can get one to light up the night like Clark Griswold on Christmas - plus as an added bonus, some of them have a great "flash" alternative that allows you to use it both as a light and disco strobe effect...

Only bit of concern I have with them is that it sometimes screws up my wireless CatEye computer when its on "flash" - not sure why, but its worth it.

You can also pick them up fairly inexpensively on eBay...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrad9
I'll put a plug in for a US company, Dinotte of Hampton NH. There are few options nowadays where you can buy something not made in China and Dinotte products are proven both for performance and end user support.

Another shameless plug for DiNotte.

Love DiNotte ... Customer service is unbeatable.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM

You did not specify a budget, but here goes. If you have a budget and specify your need/want/opinion on headlight I could get very specific on what I would recommend. I have spent a lot of money on lights and have been reviewing the current market so I think I could help you. If you choose a specific setup post it here and I can comment the pros and cons or possibly suggest a better value. I would generally suggest 400 total lumens plus for headlights that you cannot easily outrun. Helmet lights are good for seeing into turns and for off road varmints since bar lights can only see straight ahead. Light and batter technology have literally improved at warp speed the last two years and there are many competitors so you can get a lot of value for your money now.

The Magicshine already mentioned is a good value. GeoManGear.com is the best combination of price and service. The owner frequents many cycling lighting forums and responds promptly to customer website requests made directly to his website and solves problems expressed in forums also. You cannot go wrong there and the price is right. The first generation that came out has been disassembled by experts and it was considered a good light for the price but with some flaws. GeoManGear has been working with the manufacturer and many of the recommendations to improve the quality of the light have bee made and current versions are considered better. They are sold out and presold so you will definitely get the latest and greatest on GeoManGear. You can't go wrong here so this is a good option for the price.

Another can't go wrong option is Dinotte. Customer service and quality of product are second to none. Their tail lights are without peer for brightness and they have added many higher powered model headlights. If you already have a battery recharger and the run times are adequate then get the Pro Series. 200 lumens is enough for commuting unless you are riding 20 miles per hour in which case you would need two or a brighter single. The Endurance Series has Li-Ion batteries with much longer run times. Dinotte is also the only manufacturer to offer upgrades in the past for both batteries and lights. The ideal package would be the Endurance Series for $419 that comes with two 200 lumen lights-bar and helmet, and a tail light. If you need more headlight then get one of their higher powered packages.

Other high quality, high volume manufacturers are Exposure, Lupine, Light and Motion, Jet Lites, Ay-Up, BR Lights, NiteFlux.

There are lots of light reviews here that are generally very accurate.
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...LS_130crx.aspx

Light Shootout review here:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/

Beam Shots here:
http://www.mtbr.com/beamcomparisoncrx.aspx

I would use these Dinotte packages as benchmarks and the Exposure Light options I listed.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=283012032

http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=283012032

http://estore.websitepros.com/193951...ADA/Detail.bok

http://estore.websitepros.com/193951...x-D/Detail.bok

http://estore.websitepros.com/193951...Eye/Detail.bok

Last edited by dekindy; 10-01-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM

that beam shot page on mtbr.com is awesome. i was looking at that quite a bit while shopping for lights.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM

I like L&M . . .

another plug for L&M.

great products -- these guys have been in the business a long time and know what they're doing. my old Cabeza Logic is still plugging along and is perfect as a headlight supplement for my newer HID on road rides and mtb rides.

great customer service, too.

DiNotte has lots of fans -- especially for that tail light -- and nothing against them, but my question on the tail light has always been, where does the battery pack go? seems like a pain to have to deal with a battery pack for the tail light.

happy shopping
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCargo
another plug for L&M.

great products -- these guys have been in the business a long time and know what they're doing. my old Cabeza Logic is still plugging along and is perfect as a headlight supplement for my newer HID on road rides and mtb rides.

great customer service, too.

DiNotte has lots of fans -- especially for that tail light -- and nothing against them, but my question on the tail light has always been, where does the battery pack go? seems like a pain to have to deal with a battery pack for the tail light.

happy shopping
To get lots of lot you need lots of power so a battery pack is a necessity. The Vetta that I purchased is the closest thing to a Dinotte that I have found. But it uses 4-AA's instead of 2-AAA's to power those lumens. I compared it to my neighbor's Dinotte and the Dinotte on low is about the same but on high the Dinotte blows the Vetta away. Still the Vetta is a cheap alternative and better than any other light besides the Dinotte.

http://vetta.com/product_show.asp?ptype=whole&id=60
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrad9
I 2nd this recommendation. I have the 600L and it is fantastic.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:54 AM

Get a Lupine (Germany) system...if you can afford it. It's the best there is. I've had one for seven years and it has never failed me in any way whatsoever.