Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 10:33 PM

Anyone using a Bold Precision seatpost?

I just got one, and first off, the thing is a beauty. Light, too. 150 for a 250mm post. Fits my wonky 30.3 tubing like a glove. Or I guess maybe a finger in a glove, in this case
I have two questions. First, what are you torquing the bolts to? Post & clamp? I have carbon rails on this saddle (my bigger concern. I'm guessing torquing the Stainless to the Ti is less critical), but got two clamps so I can switch it if I decide on a different saddle.
Second, have you had any problem with the (in my mind) small contact point on the rails? In my search before I bought it, I didn't see anything but praise, so I'm hoping this is a non-issue.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 PM

I had one about three years ago and chose not to ride carbon rails on it. It just didn't distribute the stress that well. In the end, I had two broken ti rails (the only ones I've ever had in a long lifetime of racing) with that Bold post and I finally just got rid of it. No broken rails since. It's pretty but I don't think it's really well engineered for modern saddles.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
I had one about three years ago and chose not to ride carbon rails on it. It just didn't distribute the stress that well. In the end, I had two broken ti rails (the only ones I've ever had in a long lifetime of racing) with that Bold post and I finally just got rid of it. No broken rails since. It's pretty but I don't think it's really well engineered for modern saddles.
Thanks for the feedback. Not what I wanted to hear, obviously, but good to know.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:31 AM

I have one and I have had no trouble with ti or steel rails, but I am pretty light. There is no way I would use carbon rails with that post, the clamp is just too small IMO. You can call the man himself if you want, he is pretty responsive to questions.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I have one and I have had no trouble with ti or steel rails, but I am pretty light. There is no way I would use carbon rails with that post, the clamp is just too small IMO. You can call the man himself if you want, he is pretty responsive to questions.
I did email him first, right after I got home and got it. 11pm, answer back within 10 min. Very responsive.
I told him before I bought it that I was using carbon rails. He sells a different clamp for carbon, a bit bigger, one bolt instead of two (I got both clamps b/c I'm still playing with saddles). He told me about one guy he knew of (11.4 makes two) that broke rails with it. The guy he knew of broke it off road (I'll be roads with minimal unimproved stuff) and still rides his posts.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:14 AM

I have been using my Bold post for the past 6 years with a flite saddle, no problems. I just got another custom one with more setback for another bike. I weight 170#, roadie.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:29 AM

I have been using a Bold Precision post for about four years with a Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow saddle. I have weighed give or take 225 lbs during this time and have not had any problems.

You just need to understand that the owner of Bold gives great customer service but he is not a bike guy per se. I described the shape of my carbon rails and the clamp he sent did not work. It was a communication problem with both of us in describing the rails. I was offered my money back or he could try another solution. I can't remember if I sent in my saddle, but he provided me with clamps that worked for my saddle.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2015, 11:37 AM
ergottWheels

I've had one for a number of years and no broken rails. I do see how they could be the cause as the length of clamp surface is rather small. It's a great post for me on my ti bike.