Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 PM
#bottlestorage

Why a Fat Bike?

I know people started riding Fat Bikes in the snow, but it seems they are more mainstream on the trails, sales floor and out and about.

Why a Fat Bike?

For a MTB, are they being used in lieu of a full suspension or front suspension ride?

These seem heavy and lack nimbleness, but is that wrong?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Ex-Mr.President

my take and the reason I want to give it a go is that it is different, unique, and my pals say it is just a blast.m I think the traction is supposed to be fantastic on trails and to be honest I think different can be fun. Not as much squish as a full suspended bike, but more than a typical hard tail.

Again it is the curiosity that propels me, but I have a few pals who just love it. I trust them w/o question.

that is just me though. only ridden with guys who have them, not had the pleasure myself.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:00 PM

I rode a fatbike for the first (and last) time last weekend at a specialized mountain demo, a fatboy. I couldnt get off it fast enough! Sounded like a freight train rolling thru the woods. It had horrible self steer and I couldn;t stand the way it bobbed along while pedaling. Not a fan....I'll spin on my trainer when it snows.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Fat bikes are not in lieu of Full-Sus. I think for certain situations, Fat bikes can offer significant advantages (Snow, sand). But we don't see too many of them on our local rides in SoCal because many of our trails are straight forward long fire road climbs combined with long, technical downhills. These types of trails don't favor the use of a fat bike.

But I have a really fit buddy who rides one as his primary MTB. His big thing was to be "different". I like that he rides the fatbike because he's much more fit than I (he weighs 150lbs and puts in about 9 hours of saddle time per week compared to my 230lbs and 4 hours a week of saddle time). The fat bike is a great equalizer because it's a lot more work to do long climbs with a fat bike (the bike is big handicap for him).

Last edited by ofcounsel; 09-04-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM

I really like my Farley and want to try a fat boy at some point. Riding it isnt close to my full suspension bike by any means, it is a fully rigid bike after all. But it isnt as rough as my fully rigid 29er either. I would like to get a bluto for it.
What surprised me the most was how much it feels like a regular mountain bike. Riding it on a groomed fat bike trail last winter was a blast, and I have enjoyed it this summer also. I think I am going to race it next weekend just because.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Worst bikes ever. If you try one , you will have 7 years of bad luck.

Last edited by 93legendti; 09-04-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Test rides at bike stores are too difficult
Old 09-04-2015, 04:30 PM

Every time I see a picture of a fat bike in the snow, I think of the wasted opportunity to exercise a pair of Nordic skis.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:43 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Every time I see a picture of a fat bike in the snow, I think of the wasted opportunity to exercise a pair of Nordic skis.
I'm thankful for you skiers that leave a nice trail for me to follow!

I used to be a ski bum, doing 90+ days a year. Prefer biking now, unless it's waist deep pow.

As to "why", there are several reasons given already, but for me, I find that it's just a different way to experience a trail. I take different lines, attacking a climb is much different, and it's definitely much harder workout than on my regular mountain bike. Pretty fun.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:57 PM

because people weren't buying as many mountain bikes would be my guess. marketing teams had to find the new seller. since it looks more like a motorcycle...

who knows
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Classics Fan

Obesity problem in this country has transcended people and now actually plagues the machines we ride to try to get healthy?

Just kidding. It's like riding a tractor, or a skidder. It can go over pretty much anything. It requires less technical skills and allows you to get over most terrain. I'll avoid using the term 'dumbing down' the discipline of mountain biking, but the idea of 'choosing your line' on a fat bike is, ummm, more of a suggestion.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 PM

I have advanced from loathing mine to being pointlessly optimistic I might find some use for it this winter. Should have tried before buying but i believed the hype
Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I'm thankful for you skiers that leave a nice trail for me to follow!

I used to be a ski bum, doing 90+ days a year. Prefer biking now, unless it's waist deep pow.

As to "why", there are several reasons given already, but for me, I find that it's just a different way to experience a trail. I take different lines, attacking a climb is much different, and it's definitely much harder workout than on my regular mountain bike. Pretty fun.
Nordic skis are not Alpine skis.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 PM

I never saw a need. I've always ridden a regular MTB in the snow with 2.25" studded tires. That was until this past winter, when we had so much snow that the trails near me remained impassible from late December through the spring.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:05 PM

Also interesting to me that there are fat bike divisions in cross races this season. I couldn't imagine hoisting 40+ pounds on my shoulder to run up an incline.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Vendor

Myette crushed my soul on his fat bike the other day. And he did it with a big s**t eatin grin.