Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Question on used fat bike

I've got an appointment to check this bike out this weekend (a used salsa mukluk):

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5200370363.html

It's my size. What's a good price, and is there anything to be on the lookout for? As far as I can tell it appears to be an early version of the mukluk but looks pretty good. I've wanted a fat bike for awhile but haven't wanted to drop a ton on one.

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:01 PM

That's a 2012 Mukluk 3

The bike looks to be in good shape on the one pic provided.
Grip shift - good
Surly Rolling Darryl Rims good but dated
Odyssey platform pedals meh I like clipping in
Bottle cage yes please
Salsa Bend 3 bars if u like em
X7 parts functional hard workers but you can do better

Not a bad price and given the obo you will be able to get it cheaper.

What's the convenience of testing a bike and getting it today worth to you? Keep in mind for less you can get a brand new X9 Boris from BD with a warranty. They also have many other good options. Just a little wrenching on your part and you have a sweet new bike. An option worth considering.

The only thing the Mukluk has going against it in my opinion is the aluminum frame. However with the fat tires that is almost negligible. I would be keeping an eye out for a steel fat bike one of the Surly fat bikes or the Charger.

What to look out for:
Look at the frame for cracks near the welds and high stress areas.
Take a look at that front tire, it could be showing some wear.
Look at the drive train for wear, chain, chain rings, rear derailleur pulleys, cassette.
Look at the wheels to see if their true.
Brakes, are the rotors true, pads still good, squeals squeaks etc.

Good things about the bike:
Decent price (obo), rack compatible (front and rear) I like putting my chain saw on the back of mine for trail work. I think you can fit a larger tire in the front, that Nate 120tpi (?) in the rear is an awesome tire already. I like mine mounted tubeless in reverse for even more insane grip.

At that price I would be looking at something new from BD or a newer used bike. That bike is already dated. Keep in mind you will want to get yourself a set of winter shoes, the Wolvhammers cost an arm and a leg but are well worth it. I would also mount up a surly Bud front tire.

I would totally drill out those RD rims and make them Holly Rolling Darylls. There is a good DIY on the net somewhere. Then set everything up tubeless, it's not that hard and totally worth it.

P.S.Forgot to mention with a BD bike, budget at least another $200 for new 120tpi tires with better tires. The tires their bikes come with are often crap.

Last edited by CampyorBust; 09-04-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 09-04-2015, 01:08 PM

that would be a good "see if you like it" bike for $750-800. I prefer the newer models with the alternator dropouts and slacker geometry (I have a 2014).
Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyorBust View Post
What's the convenience of testing a bike and getting it today worth to you? Keep in mind for less you can get a brand new X9 Boris from BD with a warranty.
P.S.Forgot to mention with a BD bike, budget at least another $200 for new 120tpi tires with better tires. The tires their bikes come with are often crap.
What good is that warranty when you're hit with shipping fees both ways? I don't know, I'd rather chance it with a solid bike from Salsa, personally.

Don't forget wheels. Ones from BD are junk. Even more so than the stockers on the Mukluk.