Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Interesting article about steel bike frames

Still relevant

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...-tubing-189907
Old 09-04-2015, 07:07 AM

I'm not sure how they are choosing the "best", but this blending of tubes is what many of us have been up to for years. Still, some steel coverage by industry mags is always nice.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM
ZhugeLiang

Good read, thanks old pal
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is, one doesn't really have to go to different tube manufacturers to get the specific tubing specifications you want. If you have enough clout or a close working relationship with them, they can make or supply whatever you want to achieve the desired effect. And most of them already have enough variety in their product catalog to choose from... And then there's tubing that came out of mutual partnerships like the PegoRichie tubing....

Nevertheless the idea of having an extra analytical tool supported by an updated database of all the available suppliers to assist with the building process cannot be discounted.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 AM

There sure are a lot of great options in tubes, and yes, most of the big houses will make custom tubes if you hit their minimum order quantity.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Classics Fan

Steel is real, baby!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEstlund View Post
I'm not sure how they are choosing the "best", but this blending of tubes is what many of us have been up to for years.
Especially since all they list is the specific manufacturer and alloy, and not the wall thickness or tubing outside diameter -- which together have far more significance. Then there's the question of how do you define "best" -- best for whom? Best how? Best for what?

It's nice they used software, that's cool and modern. But you can write software to say or do most anything. This is software: 'perl -e "print '2 + 2 = 6'" and it will run perfectly, I just tested it...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Independent

I would assume frame builders have been already doing this . . . interesting read . . . I also assume the difficulties encountered with mixing have something to do with whether it is filet brazed or TIG welded.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM100 View Post
I would assume frame builders have been already doing this . . . interesting read . . . I also assume the difficulties encountered with mixing have something to do with whether it is filet brazed or TIG welded.
And $.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEstlund View Post
I'm not sure how they are choosing the "best"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
...Then there's the question of how do you define "best" -- best for whom? Best how? Best for what?
My first impression exactly.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Some stainless some not, 3 manufacturers. You couldnt tune the right mix of Columbus or Reynolds to accomplish this same feel on a 56 with one tubeset?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:59 PM

But think of all the tubing decals you could have on your bike!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Some stainless some not, 3 manufacturers. You couldnt tune the right mix of Columbus or Reynolds to accomplish this same feel on a 56 with one tubeset?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 PM

This sounds evolutionary, not revolutionary, to me. Two of my main riders date from 1978 and 1982, one from England and one from the USA, both from builders well-known as among the very best. Both have tubes from a mix of sources, chosen by the builder, and neither has a tubing sticker on it. I have no idea what they used and that's okay with me - it is the rider that holds the bikes back, not the other way around.

What this article is talking about seems to be about quantifying something that bespoke builders have long done based on experience and client feedback. Nothing wrong with that. But I don't see how it could ever completely remove input from the builder from the equation if for no other reason than there will always be some folks who like things stiffer or noodlier or twitchier or [fill in your characteristic of choice here] than most.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 PM

I wonder if some builders can chime in here, do the different manufacturers tubes, like chainstay different on either side or the head tube to top tube, create an issue with mating to the lugs?
I have had a few Serotta steel bikes and loved them.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:40 PM

It feels silly to have one preselected group of tubes and saying it's the "best" - because it definitely won't be the best for everybody. It's up to the experienced framebuilder to assess the strength/flexibility/experience/body of the rider and pick a set of tubes, or mix and match, based on that. Not to mention a great tubeset means nothing without proper fit, geometry, etc. Cool article though and it's undoubtedly good that this much thought is being put to steel frames.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 PM

There's two things here that I have to say I just don't get -

1) the article picks a 'best' tubeset. Is this 'best' for everyone regardless of size and weight? I just don't see how one set of tubes can be best for everyone even if the set is made up of the so-called 'best' tubes available regardless of brand.

2) On the far flip side I also don't get how any builder worth their salt can build bike after bike using the same stock tubeset (regardless of brand) with the idea that this set of tubes is best for the rider. Could the stock tubeset one pulls from the box be ideal for one person? Of course. But for everyone? No way.

It just doesn't make sense. I feel strongly that one of the task the builder needs to do is evaluate the rider as best possible and then pick the tubes to suit the rider. Riders are so much different I just can't see how any one tubeset is the best - whether it be the brand X stock tubeset of be a mix and match from different brands and materials.

dave