Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2015, 05:24 PM

Garmin

I am a club rider and maybe do a century once a year. I ride around 6000 miles a year and would like to keep track of my mileage, average speed, climbing footage, grade percentages, and also heart rates and calories burned. I want to buy a Garmin, but there are a few different models. Any recommendations ?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 PM

From the reviews the new Edge 520 seems to be at the sweet spot of functionality and price. For the record though, I have an Edge 1000 and really like the larger screen.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
I am a club rider and maybe do a century once a year. I ride around 6000 miles a year and would like to keep track of my mileage, average speed, climbing footage, grade percentages, and also heart rates and calories burned. I want to buy a Garmin, but there are a few different models. Any recommendations ?
A basic Garmin will log your miles. If you think you want mapping and smart phone integration, buy the top of line. If you just want basic logging, buy a used 305 or 705 for mapping.

I am in the logging category. The old 305 is fine, the 705 is better. I don't have a smart phone, don't care what Strava segment I'm on, and don't care about real time tracking. I am old.

All of those things are cool, but ...I'm old, and will never be as fast as I thought I was.

Caveat..I have never tried any garmin beyond a 305/705. I do like those, though.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Classics Fan

If I were you, I'd look strongly at Polar's new GPS computer, the M450.

I believe you'll be able to get into it for less than the competing Garmin product, and if you don't have to worry about things like Power meters, and cadence sensors, then you won't have to worry about Ant+/bluetooth compatibility issues. You should be able to use either a Polar heart rate monitor (get it as a bundle) or something like the TickerX from Wahoo.

DC Rainmaker's Review of the M450
Old 09-02-2015, 06:51 PM

I may be biased, but it seems like the 800's are currently the best value, $150-$200 used...
Old 09-02-2015, 06:51 PM

If you want some mapping capability, the 810 (or maybe its the 820 now) is the one to have. If you don't care about any mapping capability, then the 510 (or 520) is a good unit. The Garmin Connect website is very good and keeps track of all your ride metrics. Uploading is seamless and transparent.

I like the 800 series as the larger screen is easier on my eyes but, I think the newer 510 is probably almost as easy to read.

I recommend sticking with one of these two as they have evolved and are pretty much tried and true. My 800 has never given me any problems and it still works fine (after 4 years).
Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 PM

Garmin

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 PM

Garmin

It looks like I need to get at least a 500 level or better. I am not into Strava, but I would like to keep track of my climbing info, calories burned, current grades. Stuff I haven't had access to with my simple Trek cheapo. I am down to one main bike and would rather spend $$ on some stuff that could really help my riding. I see a real, potential benefit from these Garmin computers.
Also, is there any problems with battery life?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
It looks like I need to get at least a 500 level or better. I am not into Strava, but I would like to keep track of my climbing info, calories burned, current grades. Stuff I haven't had access to with my simple Trek cheapo. I am down to one main bike and would rather spend $$ on some stuff that could really help my riding. I see a real, potential benefit from these Garmin computers.
I use an Edge 810. I previously owned an Edge 705 and an Edge 800. I broke the 800 screen, and Garmin gave me a decent price on an upgrade.

The battery can last for a couple of days of riding, but I typically recharge the thing every night by plugging it into my PC or a wall adapter.

I did have some problems with turn-by-turn directions crashing and restarting the device mid-ride, but newly released firmware (4.20) seems to have resolved this issue.

I do use the maps and turn-by-turn directions. When traveling, I've pulled routes from ridewithgps.com and loaded them into my Edge. I find this very useful.

One thing to think about is screen size. My wife uses an Edge 510, and the screen is much smaller and more difficult to read when you have multiple data fields displaying. In fact, I'm strongly considering upgrading form the 810 to an Edge 1000 just because the larger screen is that much easier to read.

(Drop me a note if you are interested in an Edge 810 with City Navigator and assorted topo maps installed on a SD card)
Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 PM

Garmin

I think that this is one of those rare times when I need to go to a shop and test them out.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 PM

Garmin

Consider one of Garmin's Forerunner models (listed on the running section of their site). Not for use as a mapping device, but it does all the things you listed. Keeps your handlebars clean, and you can use it for running, hiking, etc. Pretty stylish as a plain old watch, as well.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I've been very happy with the Edge Touring Plus.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:55 PM

take a look at cateye, they also offer gps and lots features for a great price.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
You can keep track of all those info via Gamin's website. I still use my Edge 305 and it serves me well. Once you upload the data to the the Garmin Connect site then you can organize them in many ways.

But having a new model that can synch wirelessly with your phone/computer is much more convenient.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

my two...

have a 500 and love it.

small, tracks the data, personalized fields and can add the heart rate and cadence if needed.

then use garmin connect to log your miles and rides

there will most likely be a selloff of them due to the new 520.

I'd rather spend $200 on two $500's then 1 520.

but that's just me.