Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
You can ship frames coast to coast via bikeflights for around $40.
e-pal, thanks for bringing this up to our attention.

I have used BikeFlights for my last two transactions; first one a bike frame and the second one, a set of wheels. Overall pretty satisfied with their service. The only additional thing I like to mention is:

If you ship to Residential address, add $5.

If you choose pickup at your location, add $5

If you insure more than $100....add a couple more.

So, in the end, I paid a bit more than what was quoted just for shipping. Again, no big deal, much prefer their service to going to FedEx/UPS stores

Sticky....

PSA - Shipping Bikes/Wheels/Parts - The BEST (and worst) ways to do it...

Awesome! Thanks for this post!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I personally dont really trust the cheaper USPS options for large packages...have had issues in the past with stuff just sitting somewhere for days on end.
It's gotten worse too. Even my small packages (in and out) have missed their estimated delivery date by multiple days. Getting one on time had become rare. They will tell you to use priority to avoid the issue but in my experience, it doesn't help. I just assume priority will be two days late.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Randomhead

I've shipped 2 frames along the east coast for less than $30 each using bikeflights.com I was really surprised by that, it's too cheap to even worry about.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 PM
tailgunning

i feel like my only issue (living in NYC) is sourcing an appropriate box...
Old 08-31-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i feel like my only issue (living in NYC) is sourcing an appropriate box...
Even worse, I've found, is cutting it down...

I manage to snag them for free from the LBS (or their dumpster, if they're not home ) but a full size bike box is so large that you need an SUV or wagon to move it. When I lived in the city, I remember a few very sketchy rides home trying to carry a box one handed from International up the big hill to Brighton.... Even worse was a subway ride during rush hour.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM

My experience jibes with yours but I just use FedEx and do everything electronically. I get a break on shipping via FedEx because I have a biz account. USPS is great for small stuff and UPS is to be avoided at all costs.

Have you compared using FedEx for business to shipping with BikeFlights?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:25 PM

I echo Eric's sentiments on Bike Flights. Their service is awesome, easy to use, and my FedEx has also never measured a box. They just scan the label and check it in. It's so effin easy and cheap (compared to your other options).
Old 08-31-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
No slips! Whats a slip? I dont even know!

Do everything through bikeflights.com, just click the little bubble next to ground, badda bing badda boom, label shows up in your inbox a few minutes later, tape that sucker to the box and off you go! No waiting in line, no filling out forms, just walk in, drop it off with a wave and thats that.

Same goes for USPS! No waiting in line! Use paypal.com/shipnow to buy labels domestically or usps.com for international.

I bought a laser printer to print labels...thats it. Its been totally worth it
I'm very close to the fedex office, fedex ground is pretty much the same price as bikeflight, but when you show up just make sure you grab the right form (slip).
Old 08-31-2015, 11:23 PM

+100

Quote:

I personally dont really trust the cheaper USPS options for large packages...have had issues in the past with stuff just sitting somewhere for days on end.
Agree on this ... anytime I send big boxes via USPS(Parcel Post?) they go off the grid for a week or so then suddenly arrive at the destination. Bikeflights is the only way to fly
Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 AM
Senior Shmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
FedEx for frames? I've been unable to get a quote under $70 regardless of box size for a frame. Is this my local store screwing me? USPS will do it for $30. They will miss the delivery date by at least two days, but it will make it safe.
"Just like the small phone companies do"
using bike flights to ship
fedex allows you to take advantage of their lower rates that they negotiate
with the large company due to their volume.
Trying to do it through a fedex store, you pay retail plus the store's profit.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 PM

Very helpful,

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:51 PM

Yep, BF has become my shipper of choice just recently. And not just for the larger items sold on here, but for other large items - non-bike - that I've recently shipped. Very easy, and almost always the best price by far.

Quote:
- fedex rates are based more on box dimensions than weight, particularly box WIDTH. so find some skinny boxes and save yourself some dollars. also, i dunno about your fedex locations but my spots do not measure the boxes...ever. So if you find yourself on a price bubble, just cheat the width in an inch, nobody will notice/care.
Be a bit careful with this. My local FedEx center - the actual FedEx Shipping Center - has told me that the reason they don't measure prepaid shipments at the counter is because the packages are automatically measured by laser at some point in transit, and if the prepaid measurements are understated and result in a lower cost than what the actual measurements warrant, they will automatically charge your credit card the additional amount. And, guess what, this ended up happening to me once! I hadn't been trying to cheat on the measurements, but had been off by an inch in one dimension, and the additional minimal amount was charged to my card.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Thanks for posting this.

Another vote for BikeFlights. They beat the FedEx online rate consistently by a lot, their website is crazy easy to use, you can pay with paypal, and it's so nice to have a small customer service oriented team between you and the big F.

A little known secret on USPS Flat Rate: the PADDED FLAT RATE ENVELOPE:

USPS locations don't have these, but you can order them online for free by the case! They ship anywhere in the US for $5.35 online price. They fit nearly any small bike part. Just pad it well and throw it in.