Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM

i have the campy CX brakes, they are suprisingly good, much better than pauls, not sure why, arms might be a little longer giving better leverage.

Those avid ultimates look sweet.

mini v's probably stop better than either
Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM

Do we think that most mtn. bike levers pull more cable and work well with brakes with longer arms while most road levers pull less cable and do better with short brake arms?

Last edited by Ken Robb; 03-17-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Agreed on Campy CX! I've used various canti brakes and both adjustment possibilities and sheer stopping power of the Campy brakes are excellent
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM

I'm using avid shorty ultimates. Not big on modulation, but I like the positive feel. I've never had shuddering issues, but I generally toe in everything and my cx bike has a fork mounted cable stop, as opposed to one mounted in the headset. I find that makes a big difference. To be fair, I've only ever ridden cheapo canti before upgrading to these. Also, didn't pay for them because a customer at the shop I was at then swapped them, and didn't want them back. That makes them even better obvi. They sat there for nearly a year, basically new. Thank you rich person!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Do we think that most mtn. bike levers pull more cable and work well with brakes with longer arms while most road levers pull less cable and do better with short brake arms?
IME, yes.

For modern/integrated road levers, 80-85 mm arms work best.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:10 PM

If the cheapies I picked up don't work out I'm thinking of going to the trps for sure, thanks for all your guys input
Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 PM

In theory, the 926ALs being the shortest arms (80 mm), they offer the best modulation at the sacrifice of some power from the CX9s for example, with their 90 mm arms.

IMHO, mini-Vs have all the power you could ever ask for, so going with shorter arms and better modulation seems to work out, regardless of your campy, sram, shimano, etc. lever choice. Unless you're worried about vertical cable clearance for big (40 mm +) tires, the 80 mm arms clear well enough too.

Also worth mentioning is IMMEDIATELY ditching the stock Tektro pads because they're terrible and awful. Get some salmon kool stops or similar. They definitely improve the sometimes lacking modulation of mini-vs.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:35 AM

My Ibis has Avid Shorty Ultimates and they work well.

SPP
Old 03-20-2015, 02:45 PM

I got the 926als installed earlier today and took my surly cc out for s ride. I'm very impressed and blown away by the stopping power. I paid $26 for the front and rear, two adjustable noodles just to be safe and had my LBS put them on for next to nothing. Grand total cost for this set of brakes installed was $50. I'm very very pleased so far and if you're on a budget is for sure check these out.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanKid View Post
In theory, the 926ALs being the shortest arms (80 mm), they offer the best modulation at the sacrifice of some power from the CX9s for example, with their 90 mm arms.

IMHO, mini-Vs have all the power you could ever ask for, so going with shorter arms and better modulation seems to work out, regardless of your campy, sram, shimano, etc. lever choice. Unless you're worried about vertical cable clearance for big (40 mm +) tires, the 80 mm arms clear well enough too.

Also worth mentioning is IMMEDIATELY ditching the stock Tektro pads because they're terrible and awful. Get some salmon kool stops or similar. They definitely improve the sometimes lacking modulation of mini-vs.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Bump for wanted Campy to match black Veloce but... couldn't justify $$$, Tektro 720 are excellent so far, even with stock pads...

And I'll grant certain sizes, geometries, forks might be problematic but mostly I'm incredulous there's so much anti-canti sentiment.

I'm a competent, not brilliant, mechanic but after a little futzing... awesome. (I replaced stock Shimano BR-R550s, which are beefy, work fine but I wanted both lighter weight and more clearance.) Disclosure: frame is a 52, aluminum with carbon fork.

Q: does anyone have both Campy and the Tektro 720 at hand, I'm curious what the difference is besides, presumably, the pads?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:37 PM

I don't have either on hand, but I've installed at tested both. They are similar and made with some of the same parts, but I found the Campagnolo brakes easier to adjust and better looking. It really comes down to the straddle cable and barrel adjuster on the campy.

Both nice, but i think Campagnolo is worth the extra money.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryblack View Post
Q: does anyone have both Campy and the Tektro 720 at hand, I'm curious what the difference is besides, presumably, the pads?
I've got both. The Campy are installed on my 'cross/gravel bike (Gunnar Crosshairs with a Ritchey WCS carbon fork) and the Tektro's on my townie/grocery getter (converted steel Gary Fisher MTB). Stock pads on both.

Given that it's hardly an apples to apples comparison, I'd agree with everything posted above by thirdgenbird.

I found the Campy cantis are easier to set up and also easier to adjust and dial out chatter/squeal. That said, the Tektros are great entry level canti brakes.

Gratuitous bike shots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunnarbrakes.jpg (146.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg fisher.jpg (144.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 PM

thanks fellas; I was having a hard time finding good photos of the Campy's set up, got a good deal on the Tektro's ($35 for the pair)... Good to know that the Campy would be an upgrade down the line, I got confused-- but not dissuaded-- by the Tektro-manufactured part, i.e. was it rebranding + pads or actual Campy modified design that Tektro is making...

love that Gunnar btw!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:43 PM

I don't know the story on who designed what, but the Campagnolo arm and tektro arm are completely different. They are not rebranded or modified. The brakes just share some of the basic hardware. The Campagnolo brakes actually use shimano shaped pads (so do the latest Veloce calipers) so the pads and holders night be the same. The key difference is the arm shape and the straddle cable barrel adjuster.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:53 PM

^ agreed.

If any of Tektro's brakes are suffering from an identity crisis, it's the Oryx canti and the Cane Creek SCX-5.

So as to keep the thread from drifting, I am currently running Campy CX cantis, Spookys (aluminum), Shorty Ultimates, Dia Compe 986's, Gran Compe 999's, and 1986-vintage, i.e. old-style Deore XTs. All of them can stop me on a dime in any weather, and in most road and off-road conditions. It's all in the setup, and nobody explains it better than Uncle Sheldon.

For those who enjoy geeking out on cantilver brakes, his other article about them is a good read as well.

Last edited by Slow Eddie; 09-04-2015 at 08:02 PM.