Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 PM

Wow oh wow, Thomas was only 41 so much life left, this is just so tragic. His family has to live without him.

The driver has to live with the fact she killed someone and drove off while she could of offered aid at least a phone call for Emergency Medical Teams. Coming back to the scene of the accident doesn't resolve her of the hit and run, when she should of been seeking help for Thomas. 20 minutes is a long time when a life hangs in the balance.

Thoughts and prayers to Thomas' family,

Satellite
Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

News outlets now reporting the driver was an Episcopal Bishop. I missed her name but I am sure we will see it soon.

If true, it makes this even worse that she would flee the scene after the initial accident.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
News outlets now reporting the driver was an Episcopal Bishop. I missed her name but I am sure we will see it soon.

If true, it makes this even worse that she would flee the scene after the initial accident.
Bruce, see post # 28 on Page 2 of this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...8&postcount=28
Old 12-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Vendor

So sad.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

BK
BK,

It gets even worse, possibly a repeat offender?:

The Brew asked Tillman if Bishop Cook is the same Heather Elizabeth Cook, 4325 Cabin Creek Road, arrested in September 2010 on drinking, driving and drug charges in Caroline County, according to this local media coverage and online court records.

The drug charges were dropped (“nolle prosequi”) in January 2012 by the Caroline County state’s attorney’s office, online records show. She received “probation before judgement” for the DUI charge.

I mean how else to you rationalize some hitting a cyclist so hard as to shatter the windshield of the car. Then just drive off while he lay dying on the side of the road. I don't pretend to know what she was thinking but it seems awful suspicious she was drinking and driving and possibly on drugs in 2010 and today she runs over a cyclist in a bike lane on a good stretch of paved road and then just leaves. It's not like she hit a squirrel or a stray dog, this was a person in broad daylight in the middle of the afternoon on a bicycle.

Ridiculous,

Satellite

Last edited by Satellite; 12-29-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Such horrible news.
everyone of these must be like re-opening your own wound. my sympathy.
peace.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:18 AM

Last edited by abalone; 12-29-2014 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
BK,

The Brew asked Tillman if Bishop Cook is the same Heather Elizabeth Cook, 4325 Cabin Creek Road, arrested in September 2010 on drinking, driving and drug charges in Caroline County, according to this local media coverage and online court records.

The drug charges were dropped (“nolle prosequi”) in January 2012 by the Caroline County state’s attorney’s office, online records show. She received “probation before judgement” for the DUI charge.

I mean how else to you rationalize some hitting a cyclist so hard as to shatter the windshield of the car. Then just drive off while he lay dying on the side of the road. I don't pretend to know what she was thinking but it seems awful suspicious she was drinking and driving and possibly on drugs in 2010 and today she runs over a cyclist in a bike lane on a good stretch of paved road and then just leaves. It's not like she hit a squirrel or a stray dog, this was a person in broad daylight in the middle of the afternoon on a bicycle.

Ridiculous,

Satellite

Oh. My. God. That is incredible. She is a Catholic bishop? And has a past history of a DUI and charges on other drug possession?!

How in the world did the Catholic Church ever allow her to become the 2nd highest ranked Catholic official in the diocese? And why did the system even allow this woman to have a driver's license after her fist drunk driving arrest?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 AM
No hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
Oh. My. God. That is incredible. She is a Catholic bishop? And has a past history of a DUI and charges on other drug possession?!

How in the world did the Catholic Church ever allow her to become the 2nd highest ranked Catholic official in the diocese? And why did the system even allow this woman to have a driver's license after her fist drunk driving arrest?
I don't think Catholics allow female clergies...? Episcopal is slightly different from Catholic.

My sincere condolences to the Palermo family.

Last edited by Javaman; 12-29-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:23 AM
biker

So sad.
My thoughts and prayers are with Tom's family.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Epic=No Smiles

So terribly tragic. Thoughts with Tom's family.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
BK,

.27 BAC...

http://www.myeasternshoremd.com/news....html?mode=jqm

SPP
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
.27? .30 is supposedly the average threshold for consciousness!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 AM
It An't Me Babe

This news that the motorist involved was both a member of the clergy and had a prior DUI settled administratively is like going from bad to worse. Which makes this perhaps the single occasion apropos to a phrase I never use: Oh my god!

I can almost forgive the weakness of drug & alcohol use as she is human and will be subject to human frailty in this regard. I cannot abide the utter contempt and disregard for human life she exhibited in leaving a cyclist she struck with her vehicle to die at the side of the road. Because in doing so it made her out to be a fraud at her life's work and calling: the teachings and belief of all faiths in the value and sanctity of human life. Thou shalt not kill.

No one would disparage a defense attorney as sympathetic of the moral turpitude of those that he defends. No one expects an investment portfolio manager to agree with or support the practices employed by WMT (Walmart) because he is long a position. These are tasks of the profession and they are just jobs. We do, however, demand more of those that profess to proclaim the truth. Their ability to live by the spiritual & moral compass as clergy grants them the authority to lead us in the same. Because in those truths that are the foundations of living there can be no compromises. For them it can never be just a job.

Pope Francis recently addressed the Curia and cautioned against careerism as not in keeping with the mission of the church in the service of god. Irrespective as to faith or denomination, in this regard His Holiness speaks the truth. I'd say this woman found herself a pretty good gig - speak the lines; play the part. In the moment that mattered and in the actions she took, she showed to all that it was just a job and that she was just another talking head.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 AM

And the spin begins. From the Episcopal Bishop of Maryland:
Quote:
There is an ongoing police investigation into the accident. Several news organizations have reported this as a ‘hit and run.’ Bishop Cook did leave the scene initially, but returned after about 20 minutes to take responsibility for her actions.
So glad to know that she took responsibility for her actions......
https://www.baltimorebrew.com/full-t...in-bike-crash/

It is the fleeing of the scene which is most egregious here, I think, and the situation that may well have cost Tom Palermo his life. Seems equally inexcusable to spin it any other way...

Last edited by OtayBW; 12-29-2014 at 08:01 AM.