Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Every time I see a picture of a fat bike in the snow, I think of the wasted opportunity to exercise a pair of Nordic skis.
I think they could be fun, but the trails appeal to me more as a skier than a snow biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Turtle View Post
I have advanced from loathing mine to being pointlessly optimistic I might find some use for it this winter. Should have tried before buying but i believed the hype
I've ridden one once (dry conditions vs on snow, and I wanted to really like it, but didn't really do much for me. I do wan to like it, but am concerned if I get one (a friend has a Necromancer in my size he'd like me to buy so he can get a sexy carbon fatvunderbike) it will mostly sit in the garage while I go ski and do other stuff.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 PM

I've had fat bikes since the first batch of purple pugsleys frames Surly released.
That bike was a tank and steered like a dump truck. Sold it for a Moonlander and have had that since whenever those were released, it's fine and has lots of float for a bike.
Both Surlys are tanks, good for putting in long hours on snowy trails.

I recently picked up a Borealis Echo and it's a whole different animal than the Surly bikes. Pretty light for a fat bike and has more trail bike geometry, feels more like a MTB when there isn't snow. Works great on sandy trails which I have lots of out my back door. Well under 30 pounds even with a Bluto fork and will be around 25 with the carbon fork for when the snow falls.

I'm not really a mountain biker but like to get outside when the weather is crap so it's a good option for that. If roads are clear and I can get out of town on pavement I'll roll with fenders but that isn't always an option and I'm not doing 5 hour trainer rides in the winter but do plenty of big fat bike rides that are that long.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Nordic skis are not Alpine skis.
Who said anything about alpine skiing?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:28 PM

A fat bike with 120tpi "supple" tires, set up tubeless, is something to be experienced. My Mukluk is just under 29lbs and rips along just fine. Being in MN, it sees most of the action in the winter, but it's been out several times in the summer and always makes me smile. The traction, and most importantly, the confidence instilled by those giant tires (I run 4.7's) allows a lot of forgiveness in line selection. I'd gladly give up my 650B hard tail if I had to, and just keep the fatty.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:37 PM

The simplest and most direct answer to the OP's question: Why Not?

I've given that answer to many similar questions here on the forum and elsewhere, and here is why. (With all due respect - absolutely no offense intended.) The "Why?" question in situations like this is the narrow-minded pessimistic question. If you are asking "Why?" then you aren't simply stepping back and being open to the more optimistic "Why Not!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
I recently picked up a Borealis Echo and it's a whole different animal than the Surly bikes. Pretty light for a fat bike and has more trail bike geometry, feels more like a MTB when there isn't snow. Works great on sandy trails which I have lots of out my back door. Well under 30 pounds even with a Bluto fork and will be around 25 with the carbon fork for when the snow falls.
My one-week-old Borealis Yampa also fits this description. 27 pounds stock, planning to get it to ~24 (maybe lower) when rigid with different wheels/tires/no tubes/bars/stem/post. Adding the suspension fork I'll use when desired (Lauf Carbonara) will only take it up a single pound or so over the rigid. Those weights are almost exactly the same as my Moots Mooto-X YBB with a traditional suspension fork. I'm not a weight-weenie, and the Yampa is plenty light and nimble for me.

The geo, or at least what I have already experienced as the resulting handling, is very much to my liking for certain (non-snow, non-beach - I'll get to those later) mountain biking around here. So far I've had it on fairly simple tight single track, much more technical rocky, rooty, very sandy (this time of year, central Oregon trails are extremely dry desert-like sand) trails, and trails over large dry and wet smooth river rocks. It has done extremely well in all of those conditions, and has been a complete blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
Also interesting to me that there are fat bike divisions in cross races this season. I couldn't imagine hoisting 40+ pounds on my shoulder to run up an incline.
Why would you? See above - no need or reason to have a 40+ pound fat bike. Tracking the weights of the components, I could get mine to 23 pounds if I really wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
It's like riding a tractor, or a skidder. It can go over pretty much anything. It requires less technical skills and allows you to get over most terrain. I'll avoid using the term 'dumbing down' the discipline of mountain biking, but the idea of 'choosing your line' on a fat bike is, ummm, more of a suggestion.
Couldn't really disagree more. When I read "tractor, or a skidder" I conjure negative images of slow and clumsy. Yet, I've already found conditions suited to the fat bike where I'm more nimble and faster than either my Ibis Mojo, Ibis Ripley, or Mooto-X YBB. And I like riding fast! Choosing a line isn't dumbed down, it is just different. And "less technical" - again, no, just different. And it may require more strength/power to keep riding fast and hard over the difficult surfaces (I see that as a positive). Those differences have already allowed me to blast over and through stuff with huge smiles, while covering trails I'm intimately familiar with in the shortest times I've ever achieved, because at this time of year the several inches of sandy soil combined with the razor sharp jumbles of lava rock, or the field of loose round river rocks, would eat up the narrower tires and/or slow me down.

Sure, there are times when the Yampa will provide no advantage whatsoever . . . and so I won't ride it, I'll ride one of the other three mountain bikes, or one of the gravel bikes. But, to that, just yesterday I took the Yampa on a nearby gravel road that I regularly take the Renovo Elwood on (with pretty wide 33 tires), and, again, it was nice to not ever feel on the edge of washing out in the deep gravel.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:42 AM

That's a sick ride Ormojo, love it.

I'm riding a Surly Krampus 29+ Black Ops and love it, although not a "fat bike" it is confused by some as a fat bike. It's so much fun to ride and just eats up rocks, roots, and Logsticles. Looking forward to the winter.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:26 AM

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up"

I love em. As long as I live where it snows, I don't see myself without one. Could my 35 lb steel fat bike replace my 27lb AM 650b full squisher? Not really but if you can only have one mtb and are not looking to set any records it's certainly worth a test ride. Its my snow/rain/trail work bike. It also is no slouch in the speed department, I beat a number of my PRs on it, FWIW it still holds a KOM above some serious folks on some xc speed wagons.

The fat tires certainly add some cushion, its not suspension but you don't get beat up as much as you would on a regular rigid. The roll over and grip is unheard off. This thing will out climb my carbon fs rig on the super steep stuff 20%+ gradients and can come fairly close on regular climbs. It just hauls, literally my axe and 14 lb Stihl saw no problemo, it's the perfect trail work bike.

I like the fact that I do not baby this bike. Though I will not take it beach riding, twice was enough. The amount of clean up and bearing repacking I need to do after a beach ride especially if I touch the water is insane. Just not worth it. Mud, rain and snow all day long, sand and salty water no way Jose!

Saw someone here mentioned it was a cheater bike where you don't need technical ability and the skill to pick and hold the right line, agreed 100% in regular conditions. In snow however, that theory falls by the wayside. Snow conditions vary and when it really starts to pack up, like a few feet, things get interesting. You basically have to balance on a rail of packed snow, with a 2-3ft abyss of white powder on either side, and if your trying to go fast you will eat it a few times for sure. It's perilous.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
Why a Fat Bike?
Simply because they look Badass! (Not mine!)

I don't live where it snows, I have no trails anywhere and no intention of riding it on the beach. And still one of these are the only bikes I'm currently interested in.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:57 AM

fun

Quote:
I've had fat bikes since the first batch of purple pugsleys frames Surly released.
That bike was a tank and steered like a dump truck.
I'm still on one of those purple pugs!

I love winter riding on the fat bike and I take it places on snow that most other options simply won't work. It's a ton of fun, keeps me outside in winter, and keeps me off the mindless fun suck that is called a trainer!

PS - I also cc ski and if snow is good the skis generally get equal opportunity.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post

I love winter riding on the fat bike and I take it places on snow that most other options simply won't work. It's a ton of fun, keeps me outside in winter, and keeps me off the mindless fun suck that is called a trainer!

PS - I also cc ski and if snow is good the skis generally get equal opportunity.
I think the self steering front end was made worse by those original Endomorph tires. Pretty much everything released since then has been a massive improvement.

One of my buddies still has his purple pugs from that same run.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post
I've ridden a bunch of fat bikes, from 50lb Walmart specials to a 22lb Borealis...and the Pugsley still holds its own. Just a well balanced, nice riding bike.

I'm pretty excited for the new Surly Wednesday, combined with the new Race Face dropper post that is supposedly capable of handling -30F temps. Will make getting on and off in the winter so much easier! I'm thinking one of those with 2 forks and 2 wheelsets could cover all of my off pavement needs, year round.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonruden View Post
That's a sick ride Ormojo, love it.

I'm riding a Surly Krampus 29+ Black Ops and love it, although not a "fat bike" it is confused by some as a fat bike. It's so much fun to ride and just eats up rocks, roots, and Logsticles. Looking forward to the winter.

Agreed.

Ormojo's bike is awesome and it might make me jump this season and buy a fat bike.

Been using our neighbor's Muckluk that just sits there the last two winters down at the river bottoms here in the Twin Cities. It's a great way to get out when the winter weather pushes you to stay inside. I don't ride fat tire bikes that often, but I think I'll up the game this winter.

VR- I just bought an ECR from a forum member on mtbr and it should be here by Wednesday. My new cabin bike for the fire roads.

I'm retiring the Fargo.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twors View Post
I rode a fatbike for the first (and last) time last weekend at a specialized mountain demo, a fatboy. I couldnt get off it fast enough! Sounded like a freight train rolling thru the woods. It had horrible self steer and I couldn;t stand the way it bobbed along while pedaling.
Quote:
I've had fat bikes since the first batch of purple pugsleys frames Surly released. That bike was a tank and steered like a dump truck.
I think the understanding, design, and geometry have come a long way in just a few years. But it is also about learning how to ride a fat bike - the experience definitely can be improved by adapting your technique.

When I picked my Yampa up, one of the guys at Western Bikeworks spent some time with me giving me tips on technique and handling. Single best piece of advice: steer less, lean more. That, he said, helps avoid any tendency to self steer or the shovel effect from the huge front tire. And he was right. Anyway, having listened to him, and just paying attention to what the bike has been telling me, I've experienced absolutely zero (negative) handling issues, certainly no self steer and no bobbing.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:35 AM

I bought a 907 a few years back before all the frenzy started. Now with all the competition the prices have come down drastically. I use mine mainly for snow riding, it's a blast and feels like a mountain bike. If I was replacing a mountain bike I would consider a 29+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
I know people started riding Fat Bikes in the snow, but it seems they are more mainstream on the trails, sales floor and out and about.

Why a Fat Bike?

For a MTB, are they being used in lieu of a full suspension or front suspension ride?

These seem heavy and lack nimbleness, but is that wrong?

Thanks,

Paul
Our used market here in Colorado for these bikes is huge! They're right up there with significant other's 54cm or smaller bikes... I would own one if I lived on the beach or at elevation. They're fun just not my kinda fun. I see them as more of a sport utility bicycle. I don't enjoy driving SUVs either.